Finally coming together

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Ain't got one, so I ended up buying the Dewalt Hole saw kit, which should keep me pretty square (I hope). I guess we'll see how steady my hands are.

[video=youtube_share;Mzcgyk62cHU]http://youtu.be/Mzcgyk62cHU[/video]
Forstner bit. Not cheap, but the hole is as clean as it gets.

Round over router bit should work after holes are cut.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Nestor has a point- as long as you have room in the hole for the bearing on the round over bit you're golden!
Ryobi sells a Forstner set at depot for 20 or thirty bucks.. Not the greatest but they git'r done.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Nestor has a point- as long as you have room in the hole for the bearing on the round over bit you're golden!
Ryobi sells a Forstner set at depot for 20 or thirty bucks.. Not the greatest but they git'r done.
I actually have a set of forstner bits, just not the right size. The issue I have with them is that when you're using a hand drill with them it can be easy for them to start to go askew. The cut is clean, but I have trouble keeping them straight without a drill press.

With the hole saw kit, the "bit" is much taller, which I hope keeps me straight up and down a little better. If the cut isn't clean with the template, I'll go back to forstners for the actual baffle.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
A drill guide might be worth the investment.. Especially for baffle work.
look em up if you get a chance.
cheers, Mac

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
A drill guide might be worth the investment.. Especially for baffle work.
look em up if you get a chance.
cheers, Mac
I've looked at a few in the past, but none of the ones I found got great reviews. I'm hoping to get by until I can get a drill press (floor standing) and if the hole saw kit works out, I think I just may be able to. If not, then I'll have to take another look at drill guides.

The bigger issue is that whenever these get done, I've got space for two pairs of floor standers and this will be the third pair. Which pair gets banished to storage is going to be tricky :eek:

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
I've looked at a few in the past, but none of the ones I found got great reviews. I'm hoping to get by until I can get a drill press (floor standing) and if the hole saw kit works out, I think I just may be able to. If not, then I'll have to take another look at drill guides.

The bigger issue is that whenever these get done, I've got space for two pairs of floor standers and this will be the third pair. Which pair gets banished to storage is going to be tricky :eek:
Not sure why it didn't occur to me sooner, but the roundover bit should clean up the hole, provided it was drilled reasonably straight. I think you should be okay.

Try it on a piece of scrap to iron out your technique.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well I already ordered the hole saw so I'll wait and see how that goes. In the meantime it's starting to look like a proper template. The only thing left is to drill the tweeter hole and the template is done.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Has anyone mentioned the use of a template bit for your template?

147239.jpg

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
lol. Then we are on the same wavelength. Belatedly for me, admittedly.

I blame the percocets.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
lol. Then we are on the same wavelength. Belatedly for me, admittedly.

I blame the percocets.
Just as long as your not trying to use any of the tools we're talking about whilst on the percs it's all good :D

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Just as long as your not trying to use any of the tools we're talking about whilst on the percs it's all good :D
For the most part, no. ;)

I've been building a box-joint tool cabinet, but it's been languishing in my shop since the mishap. *sigh*

So I'm living my woodworking vicariously through you. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well, my center channel is gone, but I have another one. My receiver is boxed up and awaiting a Fedex pickup so there's a big a$$ hole right in the middle of the stand. Oh yea, and the only things hooked up are the Threshold (connected to the Phils), Outlaw receiver, TV, cable box, and Roku. Sounds like a lot, but is less than half of all the components that used to be hooked up. Tomorrow I have to take a day off work in order to be home to sign for another component that I won't be able to hook up, but Monday or Tuesday everything is coming apart, rearranged and put back together.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Well, my center channel is gone, but I have another one. My receiver is boxed up and awaiting a Fedex pickup so there's a big a$$ hole right in the middle of the stand. Oh yea, and the only things hooked up are the Threshold (connected to the Phils), Outlaw receiver, TV, cable box, and Roku. Sounds like a lot, but is less than half of all the components that used to be hooked up. Tomorrow I have to take a day off work in order to be home to sign for another component that I won't be able to hook up, but Monday or Tuesday everything is coming apart, rearranged and put back together.

In the next week or two or three you're gonna have another hole on the bottom right because that Cinepro 1K2 is gonna be gone. That's gonna drive my two Isobaric Subs. It's also gonna match my 3K6. Thanks Alex. That'll give me the whole Cinepro setup, amps and speakers.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
In the next week or two or three you're gonna have another hole on the bottom right because that Cinepro 1K2 is gonna be gone. That's gonna drive my two Isobaric Subs. It's also gonna match my 3K6. Thanks Alex. That'll give me the whole Cinepro setup, amps and speakers.
There ain't gonna be another hole because it'll be filled with the Cinepro 600 HT amp I'm trading you the 1K2 for :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis