Finally coming together

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What can I say, affirmative action only goes so far I guess :D
Not what I meant. :) I just figured that they learned something useful in school. Not that the "power rule" isn't highly valuable outside of school... :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Not what I meant. :) I just figured that they learned something useful in school. Not that the "power rule" isn't highly valuable outside of school... :p
Not many of them. I would say out of all the people I was friends with in my program, only half have full time jobs right now; and this from a school that brags about how 98% of education students get jobs right out of school with their bachelors.

There is an annoying amount of geometry in real life (my least favorite math subject). I find myself fairly regularly googling old formulas I've long forgotten because I'm trying to fit something somewhere where it may or may not fit.

I saw it, I accept and I'm going to hit reply anyways :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'd thank your last post, but who posts a monitor image that doesn't show this forum. :eek: I mean, come on...

:p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'd thank your last post, but who posts a monitor image that doesn't show this forum. :eek: I mean, come on...

:p
Well audiogon is a lot more tame than what was on the first picture I took.........:D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I picked up a cheap BD player from ebay for my computer so I can burn a few things and also make digital backups of my disc collection. Anywho, I ended up playing TDKR for longer than I meant to and watching most of the movie because of how good it sounded. While you miss the lowest octaves without a subwoofer, these things are amazing. They image extremely well and the soundstage is pretty broad and very precise. Voices come from where the speaker is, when things enter from off screen the sound starts off screen and moves in with the object. I am definitely enjoying these things.

EDIT: By "things" I mean the speakers I built and when I say "speaker" I mean the person talking.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I like to see you build one of these! Come on you can do it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Those Thodio boxes look cool! I'd prefer the wood ones now, but the A-Box would have been pretty bad-a** back in college. Well, if only because everyone would be in awe of an iPhone...or a cell phone in general. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Definitely doable. Although I'd be curious to know what kind of lobing issues are going on :p. The amp is easy enough to get and so is the wood, but I have no idea what drivers they're sourcing, unless they're using car audio ones like these. All it needs is a PS and a big a$$ rechargeable battery and a couple little parts and you're good to go.

I like to see you build one of these! Come on you can do it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I don't see them, what are they upstairs?

Edit- I see them, they are black, everything you have is so nice and maple{?} what happened

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
They can be lower, but then you'll want to know how the speakers you plan on putting there function off axis vertically. It would kinda defeat the point if you put them 8 inches above your towers and they had poor vertical off axis response since you're trying to add the "tallness" to your soundstage by adding them. It's hard to see, but those are also angled steeply down at the main LP and I've got them crossed well above any bass frequencies so they never sound boomy being that close to the wall/ceiling (in addition to not wanting to tax the woofer). For me it made the most sense to put them as high as possible and also slightly out of position (heights are technically supposed to be directly above the L/R) because was having issues getting the soundstage tall and outside of the speaker placement, since those things are jammed in there. Right now it's even worse because they are set well back almost even with the entertainment stand to enable me to drop the screen lower.

If your front L/R throw a large soundstage the heights/wides are totally unnecessary, like when I was using the Phils. However, if a person's front L/R could use a little help for whatever reason, adding heights wides can be a cheaper alternative to upgrading.

To actually answer your question in a straight forward manner :)p), yes they can definitely go lower and the ideal position for mine would technically be inside and even with/slightly lower than the THX/Panasonic signs. This puts them in line with the front L/R and keeps them away from the ceiling and any unwanted reflections. Speaking of, I also have the port plugs in, further increasing the bass roll off point and preventing any boominess or overdriving of the woofer.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't see them, what are they upstairs?

Edit- I see them, they are black, everything you have is so nice and maple{?} what happened
Eventually I'll replace them with a matching pair of speakers to use as my heights (from Source Tech of course :)). The speakers that are up there are my old computer speakers, EMP E41-B's. I just had them lying around and wanted to try a bookshelf build. So I repurposed the EMP's and claimed I had no computer speakers giving me an excuse to build the Mandolins :D

It was the only way I could get away with bringing any more speakers into the house. :eek:

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Eventually I'll replace them with a matching pair of speakers to use as my heights (from Source Tech of course :)). The speakers that are up there are my old computer speakers, EMP E41-B's. I just had them lying around and wanted to try a bookshelf build. So I repurposed the EMP's and claimed I had no computer speakers giving me an excuse to build the Mandolins :D

It was the only way I could get away with bringing any more speakers into the house. :eek:
well done fuzz, well done........

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Oh dang:D another pair of speaker I gotta get.:cool: Thanks for the thorough answer Fuzz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis