Finally coming together

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What is sad is, that with a little time with a major speaker manufacturer's R & D team, I could easily develop it into the worlds finest wide band mid range driver. It would get the honor by miles.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What is sad is, that with a little time with a major speaker manufacturer's R & D team, I could easily develop it into the worlds finest wide band mid range driver. It would get the honor by miles.
No money to be made for corporate America with that :rolleyes:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I wonder how good and/or how close the new Jordan driver comes to that goal. I was thinking of getting a pair to try out in a future project, but the price is a little steep for me right now and there are a few other things I'd like to do first.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I still want to do a couple more coats (there's 3 on there right now), but here's what I've got so far. I think I'll end up around 6-8 coats altogether.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Man, that is looking sweet. I wish that I was better working with wood.

Oddly, I didn't even mean that as a joke. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I wonder how good and/or how close the new Jordan driver comes to that goal. I was thinking of getting a pair to try out in a future project, but the price is a little steep for me right now and there are a few other things I'd like to do first.
I've heard they aren't as good as the one you have actually. The biggest issues with Full-range drivers is they lack real SPL abilities. The closest we've come to a great one is the MRS drivers from infinity. You've probably seen the Classia speakers that use them. Honestly I don't see the value in devoting time to developing one either there are bigger fish to fry that are much more profitable IMO.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Man, that is looking sweet. I wish that I was better working with wood.

Oddly, I didn't even mean that as a joke. :D
It must be a subconscious thing :p I really love how it came out, especially since it's my first time doing a topcoat that actually mattered. Minimal bugs and nearly as smooth as glass, which I think is pretty good for a brush on finish and no dedicated workshop (at least one that is bug and dust free). :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I've heard they aren't as good as the one you have actually. The biggest issues with Full-range drivers is they lack real SPL abilities. The closest we've come to a great one is the MRS drivers from infinity. You've probably seen the Classia speakers that use them. Honestly I don't see the value in devoting time to developing one either there are bigger fish to fry that are much more profitable IMO.
That is because his driver I personally built and it has my little tweaks.

Actually there is a huge benefit to pursue from where I left off. The world still lacks a mid range driver of the bandwidth that unit could be developed into, and yes, a high spl unit with modern techniques.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Dr. Mark said it somewhere else, but I think the full rang driver thing had less to do with actually using as a full ranger and being able to use it's extremely wide bandwidth to better mate certain tweeters and woofers together. He's also mentioned that in an array these things are capable of large venue sound, which I thought was pretty impressive.

Otherwise I agree.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Dr. Mark said it somewhere else, but I think the full rang driver thing had less to do with actually using as a full ranger and being able to use it's extremely wide bandwidth to better mate certain tweeters and woofers together. He's also mentioned that in an array these things are capable of large venue sound, which I thought was pretty impressive.

Otherwise I agree.
That is exactly right. There is no mid range unit out there with a bandwidth of 100 Hz to 16 kHz, but actually that is exactly what is required to make a really good three way speaker. It's just that most people don't realize you need that much bandwidth, but I can assure you that you really do, for crossover points of 400 Hz and 4 kHz.

I know people laugh at the full ranger community and some carry things over the top. However they are right about much more than they are wrong about.

I have said this before, and I'll say it again, every speaker designer should be full range driver enthusiast at his core. I am, and always will be.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That is exactly right. There is no mid range unit out there with a bandwidth of 100 Hz to 16 kHz, but actually that is exactly what is required to make a really good three way speaker. It's just that most people don't realize you need that much bandwidth, but I can assure you that you really do, for crossover points of 400 Hz and 4 kHz.

I know people laugh at the full ranger community and some carry things over the top. However they are right about much more than they are wrong about.

I have said this before, and I'll say it again, every speaker designer should be full range driver enthusiast at his core. I am, and always will be.
I agree on the value of wide band mid-rangers I looked at several options and eventually had to compromise on the lower end with the Domes. Crossing in the middle of the speech range is not good for sound. We really want our best sound there not our worst. I wonder if adding a low end support driver to the center would get better sound.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I agree on the value of wide band mid-rangers I looked at several options and eventually had to compromise on the lower end with the Domes. Crossing in the middle of the speech range is not good for sound. We really want our best sound there not our worst. I wonder if adding a low end support driver to the center would get better sound.
I'm always up for a little experimentation :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I guess it depends on how loud you want to play it. In this system I can play it as loud as I dare, in a condo with shared walls and never a moment of distress. Crossover to the subs is at 90 Hz for this center, which is optimal for this driver in a sealed box.

Now in my lines for my Grand Forks Studio I used four each side as a line source in 1976. I had them bi-amped at 400 HZ. There was never a problem with spl. However I have never been fond of line sources under domestic conditions.

For auditorium use 8 or 16 a side as a line source biamped to 15" drivers in enormous back loaded horns crossed at 400 Hz, gave by far the best auditorium sound I have ever heard.

The really surprising thing about those drivers though is that in a TL, the bass is very good and surprisingly deep, and for spl compares very favorably with the Quad ESL 57 of that era, which these modules were designed to compete with. In terms of bass, with TL loading they bested the ESL. I listed to a pair of single driver TLs with those modules for many years very happily.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So the desk is done and I've got it mostly populated with items. As luck would have it, for reasons yet unknown, I plugged in my USB adapter for one of my monitors and the thing just died. It gets really hot, but the power light doesn't come on and the monitor doesn't get any signal. Same thing happened with my UCA202. That's a little disconcerting. Anyways, at least my big monitor still works.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Dude, that is just a s**t ton of tea of workout powder. :D

Good luck with the monitor. Sucks when stuff stops working, that's for sure. Did you try unplugging the USB adapter?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Haha yea. Buy in bulk, you never know when the zombie apocalypse will be. After seeing world war z I'm paranoid :p

I tried a bunch if things. Different USB cables, plugging it into a different computer, a bunch of different USB ports. It and the UCA202 both crapped out when I plugged them in today for no apparent reason. Awesome :D

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
So the desk is done and I've got it mostly populated with items. As luck would have it, for reasons yet unknown, I plugged in my USB adapter for one of my monitors and the thing just died. It gets really hot, but the power light doesn't come on and the monitor doesn't get any signal. Same thing happened with my UCA202. That's a little disconcerting. Anyways, at least my big monitor still works.

Hey, I used those same legs/brackets for my workbench. And yes, you have ADTG disease....:D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hey, I used those same legs/brackets for my workbench. And yes, you have ADTG disease....:D
Those things were awesome. I got the full kit with the shelf parts as well. I think I'll end up using the shelves elsewhere, but it was good to know how easy they made everything.

Then I guess I shouldn't mention what I just ordered :eek:

Did fuzz catch upgraditis from you?
Nah, more like the DIY bug :D The only completed speakers I can see myself buying for quite some time are from Dennis, Salk, Selah, and a handful of other smaller companies. For now I'm firmly set on building about 5 more pairs. I've got my list and I'm sticking to it :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis