monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Thanks! I came down sick last Sunday. My PC died last Friday. I'm feeling much better now except for some major congestion. :p

The subject of the article is sealed subwoofers with an emphasis on altering box size and the effects of doing so. I attempted to be as thorough as possible.

The biggest problem with the article as it stands now is, we'll...it's boring. I went a bit too technical without explaining to the reader why they should care. I assume they already know why, for instance, T/S parameters are important but I explain what they are anyway. People who already know T/S will skip over it and people who do not will be confused. I need to fix some parts so that they explain rather than display (if that makes sense).

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The biggest problem with the article as it stands now is, we'll...it's boring.
Well it doesn't sound as exciting as "The Impact of Fur Suits On Hearing Acuity", but I imagine DIYers might find it handy.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Well it doesn't sound as exciting as "The Impact of Fur Suits On Hearing Acuity", but I imagine DIYers might find it handy.
Nothing, aside from The Tits (Phil Slims), is more exciting than "The Impact of Fur Suits on Hearing Acuity". xD

That will be my second article and first real-world experiement in "the field". :p

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
On-axis FR +/-2dB.
Off-axis smooth enough?
Distortion great above 200Hz, not great below 200Hz.
KEF website says <0.4% 175Hz-20kHz but that's for 90 dB 1m and 2nd/3rd harmonics only. The Soundstage one is for 90 dB 2m and Total THD+N. This just shows how lacking specs are for speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
KEF website says <0.4% 175Hz-20kHz but that's for 90 dB 1m and 2nd/3rd harmonics only. The Soundstage one is for 90 dB 2m and Total THD+N. This just shows how lacking specs are for speakers.
Well, okay, my bad. After further review, it is good between 175Hz-20kHz. :D

I guess 175Hz was close enough to 200Hz that I didn't look very carefully. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How did you get into audio ADTG?
I think it all started when a college friend of mine introduced me to a Radio Shack cassette player back in 1989 when I was 18. He was into audio and was kind of passionate about it. :eek:

Then next thing I know, I was subscribing to Stereo magazines and stuff. Of course, I didn't have any money to play with. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's really sad when my 10 & 11 year old daughters don't even know what a CD player is, much less a cassette player. :eek:

But they sure know all about blu-ray player, Apple TV, AirPlay, iPod, iPad, iPhone, and Android. :eek:

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
But they sure know all about blu-ray player, Apple TV, AirPlay, iPod, iPad, iPhone, and Android. :eek:
Don't forget bluetooth ;)

All of which are better than CD. ;) Well, streaming bluetooth isn't better than CD, but streaming music from PC, bluray, tv, usb, etc with a physical connection and controlling it with Android, apple, tablet, etc is better than CD. Digital storage will always be better than CD. exponential amount of more space allows for better quality files. Digital storage allows me to stream my music from anywhere in the world with the same quality as if I were at my machine. This is the time to be an Audioholic!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Don't forget bluetooth ;)

All of which are better than CD. ;) Well, streaming bluetooth isn't better than CD, but streaming music from PC, bluray, tv, usb, etc with a physical connection and controlling it with Android, apple, tablet, etc is better than CD. Digital storage will always be better than CD. exponential amount of more space allows for better quality files. Digital storage allows me to stream my music from anywhere in the world with the same quality as if I were at my machine. This is the time to be an Audioholic!
I have one Apple TV renamed to "DENON AVR-5308CI" and one Apple TV renamed to "DENON AVP-A1HDCI". My Denon 3312 in the family room already has AirPlay. So I just stream ALAC (Apple Lossless) music from my iPad to my Denon.

My 11 yr old streams from her iPad music to the Denon 3312. She loves it.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I have one Apple TV renamed to "DENON AVR-5308CI" and one Apple TV renamed to "DENON AVP-A1HDCI". My Denon 3312 in the family room already has AirPlay. So I just stream ALAC (Apple Lossless) music from my iPad to my Denon.

My 11 yr old streams from her iPad music to the Denon 3312. She loves it.
Tell your daughter uncle Jared says if she listens to Justin Bieber her streaming privileges are being provoked! xD

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Tell your daughter uncle Jared says if she listens to Justin Bieber her streaming privileges are being provoked! xD
She actually hates Justin Bieber. :D

She listens to Christina Perri (A Thousdand Years), Adele, Evanescence, and also some wierd crap I've never heard of (probably because I'm too old :eek:).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Best part: the LS50 price is affordable 1500$
That is really sweet, and I bet a cool friendly nice dealer could sell it for $1200. :D

Having great measurements from BOTH STEREOPHILE & SOUNDSTAGE/NRC, sounding great, and costing $1500 (or less :D) is really sweet.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I think it all started when a college friend of mine introduced me to a Radio Shack cassette player back in 1989 when I was 18.
I wonder if my son would be the world's youngest audiophile. At 17 months, he's got more appreciation for music than most people I know. He doesn't have a huge vocabulary, but "speakers" is definitely on the list of words he's got down.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder if my son would be the world's youngest audiophile. At 17 months, he's got more appreciation for music than most people I know. He doesn't have a huge vocabulary, but "speakers" is definitely on the list of words he's got down.
Tell your son, "Can you say KENT ENGINEERING FOUNDRY?" :D

Yeah, kids these days are miles ahead of us. :D

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Great, Jared needs some competition. He's not far behind your son. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis