what are you drinking right now ?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well it's the truth for at least two people now, lol. It's known as a sipping rum, blended in Anguilla from 15 Caribbean rums, and is owned by the same company that owns Patron tequila.

Bacardi, I do not consider that to be rum. I think it is more similar to vodka than rum.
I like vodka so it doesn't bother me, but Bacardi doesn't have the bold flavor of the Pyrat for sure. I've sipped it and it's nice, but it really shines in coke even more so than cocktails on my palette. I do like rum always have liked the flavor. The smell is nice too.

I'm thinking I'll try a whiskey next.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Nice!
You know...if you dump the Founders Ale and Guinness down the sink now.
I'll stop making fun of you.:D;)
The Founders Ale was kind of bland...It didn't offend. I wouldn't turn one down but I wouldn't buy a case either.

The only other one I had last night was the "Brooklyn Brown Ale". I thought it was good. It didn't wow me but it wasn't bad. I believe you (Rick) would consider this one too malty.

I only bought the Guinness to try again. I tryed it once before about 5 years ago and didn't care for it but to be fair it was like 90 degrees out (F) at a picnic that was serving Bush beer...and I had already had 5 or 6 of them.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The Founders Ale was kind of bland...It didn't offend. I wouldn't turn one down but I wouldn't buy a case either.

The only other one I had last night was the "Brooklyn Brown Ale". I thought it was good. It didn't wow me but it wasn't bad. I believe you (Rick) would consider this one too malty.
That's a rare miss by Founders. They make some of the nicest stouts, in my top five.
Brooklyn is a nice ale; I can't believe I started drinking that almost 25 years ago. It seems impossible that so much time has gone by.:eek:

Back then it was just nice to find a beer that actually tasted like something other than carbonated yellow water.:D

I only bought the Guinness to try again. I tryed it once before about 5 years ago and didn't care for it but to be fair it was like 90 degrees out (F) at a picnic that was serving Bush beer...and I had already had 5 or 6 of them.
Guinness is a nice beer; and back when it was the only game in town it was considered one of the best.
Now with all the really great stouts out there it's become old hat.
I always add a can, whenever I'm making brown gravy, and nothing like Guinness brazed short ribs.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Went to a beer tasting party last night.

Actually, it was our 3rd annual Bell's Hop Slam party, but plenty of other beers to sample. Bro in law picked up 2 cases of Hop Slam. Great IPA brewed with honey.

Also had some 120minute IPA from Dogfish head.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I just read something fascinating about Guinness after my last post here, why the Irish brew this stuff as pitch black. It's because their water is too alkaline for good beer in general, as it's way high in bicarbonates without enough calcium to bring it into balance. Highly roasted black malts are the most acidic of the specialty malts that can be added, and it does enough to bring the mash pH (it's all about mash pH, not the water by itself) to the acceptable target range (4.5-6.0; over 6 results in high phenolics and tannins). The water there has over 100x the bicarbonates of say the "purest" beer water in the world at Pilsen.

The homebrewing book I'm reading is turning me into one serious beer nerd! Haha. I can recite the 4 enzymes with diastatic power, tell you which one isn't good for beer, and how they work. I can also recite the 3 barley sieve sizes used for both American and European industries (Euro is slightly bigger too). I can tell you what the protein % of American 2 row is, and that European is slightly less, and that this figure is approximated on the amount of nitrogen measured (every 1% means about 6.25% of proteins, IIRC). LOL. Of course I'll forget all of this by next week probably. LOL. :D

Anyway, the Guinness trivia bit was one of those A-HA! moments for me . . . wanted to share . . .

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I just read something fascinating about Guinness after my last post here, why the Irish brew this stuff as pitch black. It's because their water is too alkaline for good beer in general, as it's way high in bicarbonates without enough calcium to bring it into balance. Highly roasted black malts are the most acidic of the specialty malts that can be added, and it does enough to bring the mash pH (it's all about mash pH, not the water by itself) to the acceptable target range (4.5-6.0; over 6 results in high phenolics and tannins). The water there has over 100x the bicarbonates of say the "purest" beer water in the world at Pilsen.

The homebrewing book I'm reading is turning me into one serious beer nerd! Haha. I can recite the 4 enzymes with diastatic power, tell you which one isn't good for beer, and how they work. I can also recite the 3 barley sieve sizes used for both American and European industries (Euro is slightly bigger too). I can tell you what the protein % of American 2 row is, and that European is slightly less, and that this figure is approximated on the amount of nitrogen measured (every 1% means about 6.25% of proteins, IIRC). LOL. Of course I'll forget all of this by next week probably. LOL. :D

Anyway, the Guinness trivia bit was one of those A-HA! moments for me . . . wanted to share . . .
I started home brewing in the early 80's. Kind of sorry I didn't stick with it.
I rationalized, that since more and more good beers were slowly coming out, it didn't make as much sense to do all the leg work.
Since I didn't like using pelleted hops, I gradually stopped.:(

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Went to a beer tasting party last night.

Actually, it was our 3rd annual Bell's Hop Slam party, but plenty of other beers to sample. Bro in law picked up 2 cases of Hop Slam. Great IPA brewed with honey.

Also had some 120minute IPA from Dogfish head.
How did you like the 120?
That's a nice sipping beer. Gets better as it warms a bit.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I started home brewing in the early 80's. Kind of sorry I didn't stick with it.
I rationalized, that since more and more good beers were slowly coming out, it didn't make as much sense to do all the leg work.
Since I didn't like using pelleted hops, I gradually stopped.:(
You could always start up again? :)

I'm reading this book. Very good I think. slipperybidness incidentally confirmed my choice too. I'm pretty sure jinjuku brews, and I'm sure there must be others here.
How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time: John J. Palmer: 9780937381885: Amazon.com: Books

In the hops chapter, the author did go over the pros/cons of the forms of hops, whole, plugs, and pellets.

You're right that American beers have exploded like crazy since the 80s. I'm interested partially because I'm a budding foodie type, who is also trying to promote DIY wherever I can find it when I'm not too intimidated by the prospect, and finally for the economics of it all. For so long, the beers I drank were like a dollar a bottle, but my tastes have gotten a wee bit pricier since then. :eek: Tripels are about $6 a bottle for me, so if I can succeed with just making a single adequate tripel recipe (I hear the parts list is not so bad, noble hops, etc), I might deem my venture a success, lol. The biggest investment does seem to be time. I probably won't brew very often when I do get around to it.

Anyway, with the explosion of the internet, internet direct sources for finding beer making supplies, and of course the forums as you know, I'm sure it must be a lot easier to be a successful homebrewer today compared to back when you first were doing it.

You seem to be pretty passionate about beer. The author of my book says once you become an accomplished brewer, you can take any beer off the shelf, and say, "I can make that". :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
What I know about brewing is simple, but then again it's also the illegal kind. Brewing beer would be fun if I had the space.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You could always start up again? :)

I'm reading this book. Very good I think. slipperybidness incidentally confirmed my choice too. I'm pretty sure jinjuku brews, and I'm sure there must be others here.
How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time: John J. Palmer: 9780937381885: Amazon.com: Books

In the hops chapter, the author did go over the pros/cons of the forms of hops, whole, plugs, and pellets.

You're right that American beers have exploded like crazy since the 80s. I'm interested partially because I'm a budding foodie type, who is also trying to promote DIY wherever I can find it when I'm not too intimidated by the prospect, and finally for the economics of it all. For so long, the beers I drank were like a dollar a bottle, but my tastes have gotten a wee bit pricier since then. :eek: Tripels are about $6 a bottle for me, so if I can succeed with just making a single adequate tripel recipe (I hear the parts list is not so bad, noble hops, etc), I might deem my venture a success, lol. The biggest investment does seem to be time. I probably won't brew very often when I do get around to it.

Anyway, with the explosion of the internet, internet direct sources for finding beer making supplies, and of course the forums as you know, I'm sure it must be a lot easier to be a successful homebrewer today compared to back when you first were doing it.

You seem to be pretty passionate about beer. The author of my book says once you become an accomplished brewer, you can take any beer off the shelf, and say, "I can make that". :D
I did rec that book, and it turns out that you were already reading it. I just wanted to add, that is now a newer revision than the one that I have.

Kruppy

Kruppy

Audioholic
Not right now, but last night.

Went to a Michigan brewing tap take over at a local bar/eatery and sampled a few delights:

Arcadia - 16th Anniversary (ok)
Arcadia - Coco Loco stout (meh)
Bell’s - Cherry Stout (too much cherry not enough stout for me)
Green Bush – Apathy outmeal stout (ok)
New Holland – Blue Sunday (sour with a Belgium yeast after taste, meh)
New Holland – Charkoota (my personal favorite of the night)
New Holland – Night Tripper Imp Stout (runner up for favorite)
Oddside – Jackalope Amber (citrusy/little hoppy, ok)
Oddside – Peanut Butter Stout (very burnt taste, not appealing)
Right Brain – Firestarter Chipotle (did not taste the same as at the brewery)
Right Brain – Igor Takes a Digger imperial brown (pretty good)
Right Brain – Mangalista Pig Porter (did not taste the same as at the brewery)
Short’s – Publican Porter (ok)

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not right now, but last night.

Went to a Michigan brewing tap take over at a local bar/eatery and sampled a few delights:
For a second I read that as a "Michelob tap take over" and was really confused.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Right now, a disappointing Trader Joe's Belgian beer. Caught my attention when I went there today to get Niki some treats. Looks awesome...tastes kinda blah. Well, actually plenty of taste - just lacking a sweetness that I was looking for.

G

Grador

Having a refreshing Red Stripe right now. It's the kind of beer I should hate, but they're nice every once in a while.

dkane360

dkane360

Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Picked up a 6 pack of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier and
a Bottle of Cayman Reef Barbados Rum. Just finished the Pyrat off. I considered trying some of the new lone star whiskey, but I was running low on rum and I didn't want to rum out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis