Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Last night, I did one of the (if not the) best jobs cooking a steak that I've ever done. Nice, 0.4lb filet. Cooked perfectly and still juicy. It was also the first time that I can remember salting a steak beforehand, so it tasted a bit salty to me even though I didn't put much on at all (because I'm not used to it). Niki had no complaints, though. :D
By Jostenmeat in the "Food, Food Safety & Recipes" thread":

For kosher salt, you pretty much want Diamond Crystal (Keller calls for it by name, and AB apparently does ad work for them now). It is more pure than the best competing brands, and has less weight per volume (and maybe only half the weight of table salt; yes you're eating less salt for how much appears to be in your hand), making it easier to be precise with. Kosher salt has a particular structure and size, and that's why you'll always seeing it called for all the time. Don't get me wrong, I use fine sea salt, coarse sea salt, pink Himalayan salt (very salty, but very good), etc, but am still using kosher more and more exclusively for the cooking part. One of the main reasons why salt helps to increase flavor is because it is an electrolyte, and essentially excites the sensors on the tongue.

Salting your meat in advance, say on your steak while it sits on the counter to come to room temp, also has a particular function, it's denaturing the proteins, and trust me, it tastes so completely different between salting an hour before cooking, or immediately before cooking. I ran into the below entertaining pic a while ago.

Oh, on my hunt for the best salt and pepper mills (after getting fed up with my cheapies from a local grocery store), I went with Peugot, quite expensive, but totally worth it, not only because I don't have to go through the PITA of taking it apart from the bottom, with a tiny screwdriver, trying to smush the rectangular arm back in through all the packed coarse grains, etc, to refill it (Peugot has a magnetic top which simply comes right off, pour stuff right in), it also is adjustable for the size of grind, particularly useful for pepper, for me.
I tried salting my steaks well in advance of grilling, as suggested, and I found that it does make a significant difference in the tenderness and flavour of the meat. It even worked on some striploins that had been sitting at the bottom of the freezer for several months. When I found them, I figured they wouldn't be fit to eat. But, I thawed them in a dish with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and some salt. I grilled them a few hours later and they were surprisingly tender and flavourful.:)

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Need to pull my bedroom systeam down :mad:
It's boreing any idears to make it exciting again and befor anyone tells me to swap gear with the livin area theater that's out of the question

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Well it's 1.20am in Australia and my house is as loud as ever Connors sqwarking cause he dosnt think it's bed time!! I have to start work at 7am

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Well, this is interesting. I kept hitting the refresh button.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I feel like I'm at the wrong place. It's just so colorful and modern.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
You and me both :) I'm really liking it :)
Tapatalk is pretty cool I can even send this message using Google Voice.
it's too bad you can't do commas periods and new lines or have a simple way of adding them in while you talk

Steve

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Tapatalk is pretty cool I can even send this message using Google Voice.
it's too bad you can't do commas periods and new lines or have a simple way of adding them in while you talk

Steve
I've also noticed that everything is in the same font, even if the person changed it around on the desktop site. And you can't see people reps and post counts. Besides that I think it's even better from the regular forum, mainly because I can add a picture to posts without even using photo bucket, haha.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, my garage door opener started beeping this morning because the battery (which I've never used) was going bad. Awesome. Luckily, it was a very easy fix. Unlike a safety device like a smoke detector, this opener will stop beeping if you just take out the battery. Ahhh. So nice. Even nicer because the replacement batteries aren't sold locally, as far as I could see.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I gotta say, the chrome finish on this new faucet is growing on me. Definitely more "bling" factor than the spot resistant stainless.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis