slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's certainly a little different than the average BS.

I can't decide whether I like the styling or not.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I hate the no-grilles thing. At least have some grilles like the TAD 2201. :D
Personally, I prefer no grills, I like seeing the drivers. But, I don't have kids either.

And my Goldenears as DT SMs don't really have the no-grill option (black socks)

R

ridikas

Banned
The speakers measure flawless, but it's a shame that they only use such a tiny midwoofer :( I suppose one can make an amazing clock radio out of them. Or possibly a high end stereo system in a closet :) Unfortunately, I just can't see them in any normal size home theater, or stereo set up, even with an 80Hz high pass filter.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Some intimate time with one's speakers... take em off Baby!!! All of it!!
I don't know about you, but I've never said that to my speakers! ;)

The speakers measure flawless, but it's a shame that they only use such a tiny midwoofer :( I suppose one can make an amazing clock radio out of them. Or possibly a high end stereo system in a closet :) Unfortunately, I just can't see them in any normal size home theater, or stereo set up, even with an 80Hz high pass filter.
It's a studio monitor. It's not designed to sit in one's living room and play 110db. If you crossover high you can you can have a sweet monitor + sub system!

R

ridikas

Banned
It's a studio monitor. It's not designed to sit in one's living room and play 110db. If you crossover high you can you can have a sweet monitor + sub system!
Maybe a basement studio? Because a studio even remotely legit must have monitors that can put out 85dB at listening position, with 20dB of headroom.

Acu's TAD 2201, those are real studio monitors...

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Because a studio even remotely legit must have monitors that can put out 85dB at listening position, with 20dB of headroom.
They do. Studio monitors are not made to be listened to at 8 feet. If you sit close to them, they will play plenty loud.

That said, your requirement for studio monitors isn't even fulfilled by my Phil2s.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The sensitivity + power handling is a little low for my tastes, but for a monitor it's fine. What person needs 85 db at their listening position for a baseline? I know what trolling is. I even live on a bridge(my apartment is over the drive in), but give it a little creativity at least. :rolleyes:

It's 75db with 30 db and that's THX reference not home listening. Home listening reference is 60db with 30db dynamic range. :rolleyes:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Some intimate time with one's speakers... take em off Baby!!! All of it!!
I don't know about you, but I've never said that to my speakers! ;)
It saddens me to hear that.:(

Perhaps with time and therapy you will be able to cast off your inhibitions and become comfortable exploring your speakers' sexuality!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would like to see Stereophile measure the KEF Blade next. :D

I guess they have not measured the KEF R either.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Can we get this guy banned please? Complaining about an accurately measured speaker ..WTF... seriously..

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i was actually thinking along the same lines as ridikas, seems to me that there aren't many realistic rooms these would work well in. small rooms yes, maybe the most awesome computer speakers ever? btw, someone may rub you the wrong way but that's not trolling guys. :(

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
btw, someone may rub you the wrong way but that's not trolling guys. :(
You're obviously not familiar with his post history... :rolleyes:

I certainly wouldn't mind having a pair of LS50's :)

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I listened to LS 50 and the B&W cm-5 consecutively at RMAF in similar sized rooms with no subs. Different source material, sitting 8' from the speakers and what a world of difference between the two!
I wouldn't hesitate to run the 50's in a 2.0 system as long as the room was under 2000 cubic ft. and the LP was no more than 8' from them.
My 2 cents, Mac
Ps 1500.00 they're a good value, at 1000.00 I'd already own them

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
i was actually thinking along the same lines as ridikas, seems to me that there aren't many realistic rooms these would work well in.
They would work in 99% of rooms!! They are studio monitors, people. Not floorstanding models. You sit 1 foor or so in front of them!

btw, someone may rub you the wrong way but that's not trolling guys. :(
I completely agree with this. However, it's trolling when he is aware they are studio monitors, and he *****es about them not being designed like horns!

R

ridikas

Banned
I'm going to make multiple replies in one post. First of all, the name calling is getting old. It really shows who the REAL trolls are.

The KEF LS50s are NOT studio monitors. What kind of studio would that be if you have to listen to the speakers at a one foot distance to get any realistic output? Are you going to use them as headphones? These are nothing more than overpriced (and yes, well measuring) computer speakers. If they are sitting right in front of you, next to the monitor, then they might work. But that's not something that I would call a studio. More like a bedroom with a pretend sound engineer in it.

The THX spec says that the system must provide 85dB at listening distance, with 20dB of headroom. A real studio should be able to mix movie soundtracks as well as music. If the speaker cannot provide a reference level at the listening position (which varies), then it's not a studio monitor. It's an expensive toy.

You guys make it seem like hitting 85dB at a listening position with 20dB of headroom is some impossible task. Nonsense. Tons of THX and non THX speakers on the market can do it with easy. You don't need floorstanders to reach this goal. Here's a simple THX certified monitor, with two 5" midwoofers, which can do it if crossed over at 80Hz high pass. You can buy it on Amazon for $250 each! It should measure (and probably sound) even better than the KEF LS50, because the THX spec calls for +/-1.5dB frequency response and they have very strict requirements for off-axis response. No crossover, or driver selection cheating there.

http://www.jamo.com/speaker-lines/thx-speakers/D500/?sku=D500LCR

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis