Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
What kind of studio would that be if you have to listen to the speakers at a one foot distance to get any realistic output?
Actually, there's an entire class of monitors called "nearfield monitors", and using them at a distance of only a few feet, like the top of the console, is a very popular usage model. I'm not necessarily advocating these KEFs, in fact I happen to agree that they're probably a bit lightweight for home use, but studio use is another matter.

R

ridikas

Banned
Actually, there's an entire class of monitors called "nearfield monitors", and using them at a distance of only a few feet, like the top of the console, is a very popular usage model. I'm not necessarily advocating these KEFs, in fact I happen to agree that they're probably a bit lightweight for home use, but studio use is another matter.
That's not a studio. That's fraud. If I was a client, I would ask for my money back ASAP.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
That's not a studio. That's fraud. If I was a client, I would ask for my money back ASAP.
If you didn't use any studio that had Yamaha NS10Ms or their equivalent, for example, on or near the console you'd be doing a lot of home recording.

R

ridikas

Banned
Nearfield mixing is useless and a fraud. It's for studio wannabes who have no space, money, and, or knowledge. Nearfield mixers are not sound engineers, nor are they professionals. It's 100% scam.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
They are most definitely lightweight for home use. 85db sensitive and 100 watt max power is pathetic.

However, these are advertised and developed as a studio monitor. For that purpose they seem phenomenal. If they advertised these like they do the Q100, Q300, etc., I'd be pissed!

Nearfield mixing is useless and a fraud. It's for studio wannabes who have no space, money, and, or knowledge. Nearfield mixers are not sound engineers, nor are they professionals. It's 100% scam.
Ok....you pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard..you belligerent old fart..you worthless steaming pile of cow dung, figuratively speaking [Of course].

Why do you think nearfield mixing is a scam? :rolleyes:

I wish I had a joint for every time you were a prick. :rolleyes: I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course. :D

R

ridikas

Banned
Right back at ya! Nearfield mixing is useless because most people do not watch movies, or listen to music one foot away from their speakers. Case closed.

Google image Skywalker Sound, Universal's mixing rooms, Disney's, etc. ALL real mixing studios have midfield, or farfield monitors. To best represent a movie theater, home theater, etc. environments. Nearfield mixing is as useless as headphone mixing.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Right back at ya!
I was going to like your post because this was very funny.

Nearfield mixing is useless because most people do not watch movies, or listen to music one foot away from their speakers. Case closed.
And then I read this...

Should we stop using anechoic chambers?

Google image Skywalker Sound, Universal's mixing rooms, Disney's, etc. ALL real mixing studios have midfield, or farfield monitors. To best represent a movie theater, home theater, etc. environments. Nearfield mixing is as useless as headphone mixing.
Most studios that I have looked at have both nearfield AND farfield (floorstanding most of the time I suppose...not that it matters whether it's on a stand or floor..) speakers. They mix nearfield, and listen to their mix farfield.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Ridikas, why don't you clean up your act? Your tedious, high-contrast, obnoxious answers which are clearly meant to be adversarial are just plain annoying. Like fingernails on a chalkboard. I don't like nearfield monitoring either, but my impulse after reading your response was to defend the people I know actually prefer it. I decided not to, because I've found discussing things with you is futile. Why is it you feel you must act so distastefully?

R

ridikas

Banned
Ridikas, why don't you clean up your act? Your tedious, high-contrast, obnoxious answers which are clearly meant to be adversarial are just plain annoying. Like fingernails on a chalkboard. I don't like nearfield monitoring either, but my impulse after reading your response was to defend the people I know actually prefer it. I decided not to, because I've found discussing things with you is futile. Why is it you feel you must act so distastefully?
Did I not speak the truth?

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Truth is all that matters. The rest is just a bunch of sensitive dudes on a forum...
No, no. Saying "Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome" instead of 'Shell Shock" is for the sake of sensitive people.

Saying "I'm sorry your father passed away" instead of "I'm sorry your father died" is for sensitive people. NTTAWWT (being sensitive)...

What you are doing is being intentionally aggressive. You aggravate 99% of people on the forum..as is your intention. We both know you get off on it. There are plenty of websites available for browsing that encourage getting off...would you like a link? :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Did I not speak the truth?
Actually, no, I do not agree that anyone who uses nearfield monitors is a fraud. For recording vocal tracks and a bunch of different closely mic'd instruments, nearfield monitoring can have a legitimate use in a studio. Personally, I happen to prefer live to two-track recording, but most recordings aren't made that way, they're built up from a bunch of individual tracks, and for that stuff some purist monitoring system could be seen as overkill. I know some engineers who use nearfield monitors and they claim they can hear more detail with them, that they normally only get with headphones, and they hate headphones. They're listening for extraneous noises, and they don't want to listen at 100db either, like some pop engineers do.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Personally, some of my favorite music is most likely mixed in a home studio with nearfield monitors.

Underground, non-commercialized music, DJs and hip-hop and punk rock. Just because it is done at home or on the cheap, doesn't make it any less quality or less of an art than a big studio with lots of money.

Actually, perhaps it takes more skill to produce a great mix on less than ideal equipment.

I will take non-commercial, true artistic work over Clearchannel/WB/DGC pop-cookie-cutter-crap every time.

R

ridikas

Banned
Actually, no, I do not agree that anyone who uses nearfield monitors is a fraud. For recording vocal tracks and a bunch of different closely mic'd instruments, nearfield monitoring can have a legitimate use in a studio. Personally, I happen to prefer live to two-track recording, but most recordings aren't made that way, they're built up from a bunch of individual tracks, and for that stuff some purist monitoring system could be seen as overkill. I know some engineers who use nearfield monitors and they claim they can hear more detail with them, that they normally only get with headphones, and they hate headphones. They're listening for extraneous noises, and they don't want to listen at 100db either, like some pop engineers do.
Fair enough...

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Truth is all that matters. The rest is just a bunch of sensitive dudes on a forum...
No, it's called accuracy and politeness. Your high-contrast statements are often not so accurate as they are just highly biased opinion. And politeness and maturity counts, at least it does with me. If that makes me overly sensitive in your mind, too bad. You're just being needlessly obnoxious and it isn't necessary. Why bother to post here at all? Because you like annoying sensitive dudes on a forum?

R

ridikas

Banned
Personally, some of my favorite music is most likely mixed in a home studio with nearfield monitors.

Underground, non-commercialized music, DJs and hip-hop and punk rock. Just because it is done at home or on the cheap, doesn't make it any less quality or less of an art than a big studio with lots of money.

Actually, perhaps it takes more skill to produce a great mix on less than ideal equipment.

I will take non-commercial, true artistic work over Clearchannel/WB/DGC pop-cookie-cutter-crap every time.
Ummm, no...

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Ummm, no...
Here we go again...

Ridikas....please just go away. I don't know how else to put it. I'm friendly with everyone on this forum. I have no bad blood with anyone, and I'm pretty sure everyone like me. That's not the case when it comes to you. We don't like you. Until you adjust you attitude and stop acting like a child, I vote the entire community completely ignore you. I'm befuddled that you haven't been banned yet.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
They would work in 99% of rooms!! They are studio monitors, people. Not floorstanding models. You sit 1 foor or so in front of them!

I completely agree with this. However, it's trolling when he is aware they are studio monitors, and he *****es about them not being designed like horns!
monk you are so right. It appears there are some on here that have appear to fail to review or read the details of a product in this case a studio monitor is or it's intended use but then again a person is just trolling for the sake of instigation. Heck he even has contributed kindly but then again he gets his pants in a wad and goes all nuts on us.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it's okay to agree to disagree. We just need to be tactful, instead of tacky. :D

Some guys personally prefer bigger driver sizes. Nothing wrong with preferences. I know my friend DenPureSound (RIP) used to hate smaller drivers on speakers. He probably would not like the smaller mid-woofer in the LS50 either. But if he saw the measurements on the LS50, he would probably change his mind and like the LS50. Maybe. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis