Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm stock piling freon so that I can free air freeze the power cord for my record player. :D
Even K-mart audiophiles know you have to immerse the cable in liquid nitrogen before the magic happens :rolleyes:.

And it goes without saying, you should always use oxygen-free liquid nitrogen :cool:!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Even K-mart audiophiles know you have to immerse the cable in liquid nitrogen before the magic happens :rolleyes:.
Not all do. I've run into at least one guy who put stuff in his freezer for a few days to "treat" it figuring that the extra time would help achieve the same "effects". And in terms of audible enhancements, I'd guess he was probably right :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
On a molecular level, I'm sure that the cryo treatment does relieve the stress in the crystal structure that they claim. It will allow the atoms to more easily line up in a nice, uniform latice structure. I would say that is probably fairly accurate info.

But, I highly doubt that it would make an audible or measurable difference. After all, unless your measurement tools were given the same cryo treatment, then they would suffer the same "faults" as the non-treated crossover.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
On a molecular level, I'm sure that the cryo treatment does relieve the stress in the crystal structure that they claim. It will allow the atoms to more easily line up in a nice, uniform latice structure. I would say that is probably fairly accurate info.

But, I highly doubt that it would make an audible or measurable difference. After all, unless your measurement tools were given the same cryo treatment, then they would suffer the same "faults" as the non-treated crossover.
I shall freeze all Philharmonic Audio assets immediately.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Now I know why my CAOW2s sound better in Chicago winters when I don't turn on the heat and open up my windows! Let's all look forward to the next Ice Age - the golden era of sound!

Speaking of the CAOW2s - can you speak towards how they might compare to the Philharmonitors, Dennis? I greatly enjoy the CAOW2s but I'm also very tempted to get the Philharmonitors. Thanks!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Now I know why my CAOW2s sound better in Chicago winters when I don't turn on the heat and open up my windows! Let's all look forward to the next Ice Age - the golden era of sound!

Speaking of the CAOW2s - can you speak towards how they might compare to the Philharmonitors, Dennis? I greatly enjoy the CAOW2s but I'm also very tempted to get the Philharmonitors. Thanks!
Ya know, I haven't plopped them down side by side and switched back and forth. I'll try and do that tonight. Obviously the Phil's will have deeper bass response--they should go about 7 Hz lower. The midrange might be slightly more focused on the CA's because of the smaller woofer. And the Phil ribbon will have a different character--less sssssssssss and more air. I'm not sure which you would prefer in that department. But I'll see whether these speculations pan out.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Ya know, I haven't plopped them down side by side and switched back and forth. I'll try and do that tonight. Obviously the Phil's will have deeper bass response--they should go about 7 Hz lower. The midrange might be slightly more focused on the CA's because of the smaller woofer. And the Phil ribbon will have a different character--less sssssssssss and more air. I'm not sure which you would prefer in that department. But I'll see whether these speculations pan out.
Looking forward to it with great anticipation! I haven't heard ribbons a great deal. In fact, the only time I heard ribbons was on the Dali Ikon 2 Mk2 and that definitely had air and I liked what I heard. But, I only heard them for about 2 minutes so I'm not putting much weight into the observation. I guess I'd say that I'd like the air if I still get all the details and the "brassiness" (bite) of trumpets etc.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Looking forward to it with great anticipation! I haven't heard ribbons a great deal. In fact, the only time I heard ribbons was on the Dali Ikon 2 Mk2 and that definitely had air and I liked what I heard. But, I only heard them for about 2 minutes so I'm not putting much weight into the observation. I guess I'd say that I'd like the air if I still get all the details and the "brassiness" (bite) of trumpets etc.
Dennis can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most of what you hear from brass instruments, their 'bite' or their 'blat', comes from the midbass driver...not the tweeter. By the way, when properly integrated (as Dennis does) there is no more favorite tweeter in the world for me...than ribbons.

You might find this chart instructive:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Dennis can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most of what you hear from brass instruments, their 'bite' or their 'blat', comes from the midbass driver...not the tweeter. By the way, when properly integrated (as Dennis does) there is no more favorite tweeter in the world for me...than ribbons.

You might find this chart instructive:

I would be inclined to think of the 'blat' quality as the 'edge' which is listed near the bottom of the chart as being in the 4.5-5.5 kHz range. I certainly do not claim to know for sure, but if you've ever had a speaker with a blown tweeter you really get a sense of what harmonics do to give the sound character.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I would be inclined to think of the 'blat' quality as the 'edge' which is listed near the bottom of the chart as being in the 4.5-5.5 kHz range. I certainly do not claim to know for sure, but if you've ever had a speaker with a blown tweeter you really get a sense of what harmonics do to give the sound character.
Right--that chart only gives you the fundamental frequencies of various instruments. It's the harmonics that give each instrument its own sonic signature. That said, many speakers fail to do justice to brass because they don't have enough baffle step compensation--the midrange is elevated in relation to the midbass, and brass come off sounding kind of murky. I always voice speakers using brass to make sure there's enough clarity and detail.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
I always voice speakers using brass to make sure there's enough clarity and detail.
I guess that goes a long way in explaining my enjoyment of the CAOW2s! Of course, it also means the Philharmonitors will deliver on that front. Did you get around to the side-by-side last night?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I guess that goes a long way in explaining my enjoyment of the CAOW2s! Of course, it also means the Philharmonitors will deliver on that front. Did you get around to the side-by-side last night?
The dog appears to have moved the remote control from the living room to the great outdoors. I have everything set up--I just need to track down the remote for the switching preamp or hit the Shack for a replacement.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
The dog appears to have moved the remote control from the living room to the great outdoors. I have everything set up--I just need to track down the remote for the switching preamp or hit the Shack for a replacement.
You mean to say your dog doesn't quite enjoy the bite of trumpets wafting through ribbon tweeters as much as you do? Must not be a Golden (Eared) Retriever!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
You mean to say your dog doesn't quite enjoy the bite of trumpets wafting through ribbon tweeters as much as you do? Must not be a Golden (Eared) Retriever!
Well, he starts wailing and yelping everytime I pick up my violin, so he obviously has some musical judgment. BTW, he gave me back the remote. Or at least showed me where it was. I'll report back on my comparo tonight.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Hey Dennis?

Do you think the Phil 2s are capable of a good 85-90db output (RMS) in a 25' X 25' X 8' (H) room at 12ft away? :D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Right--that chart only gives you the fundamental frequencies of various instruments. It's the harmonics that give each instrument its own sonic signature. That said, many speakers fail to do justice to brass because they don't have enough baffle step compensation--the midrange is elevated in relation to the midbass, and brass come off sounding kind of murky. I always voice speakers using brass to make sure there's enough clarity and detail.
Thanks for the education, Dennis. I want to be sure I understand what you're saying....

Because of higher order harmonics, an instrument's character, say of a tuba, is lost without a reasonably well integrated tweeter, crossed at a nominal 3k...(Edit: excluding issues involving a full-range driver)....?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis