HTD Level 3 Tower and Level 2 Bookshelf Speakers Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
There's apparently a new player in town. Well, that's not entirely true. Home Theater Direct has been around since about 2001, we just didn't know about it. If you're selling speakers, amps, whole home audio systems and accessories, you're going to want to be a lot of things but a secret is not one of them. So when we were told about them from a few of our forum members, we decided to take a look. We decided to be efficient, so we took at look at two products at once. These towers are from HTD's Level THREE series and the bookshelf speakers are Level TWOs. I'm going to start off with some pricing information, cause that's a big deal as you consider this review. The Level THREE towers are only $799... a pair. They come in Black and Light Cherry and a Dark Cherry is available for pre-order at a $100 premium.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/MOYrdpkHQGo" frameborder="0" height="253" width="450"></iframe>​

Discuss "HTD Level 3 Tower and Level 2 Bookshelf Speakers Video Review" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the review.

They are a good company, and they didn't slap the speakers
together just to market and sell >> They do make some nice
competitive stuff. It sure is interesting, that a company with
the name Home Theater Direct, has speakers that do sound
good with music.

Last edited:
R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
It amazes how these things are so inexpensive, i bet they are manufacture in asia or in china. For what is worth , they actually look pretty decent, and i wonder how these are going to stand against speaker in thee 2000 range

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
It amazes how these things are so inexpensive, i bet they are manufacture in asia or in china. For what is worth , they actually look pretty decent, and i wonder how these are going to stand against speaker in thee 2000 range
Not plastering marketing advertisements helps with margins so they can offer a better price. Companies like HTD, Arx, Simply Sound Audio (Rumba 12 sub) and some others don't have a marketing budget at all really, more focused on word of mouth from the owners of the products.

As long as they have a tight control over quality than I don't see much issue in manufacturering in China or Asia or Mexico. I have speakers made in China and I'll take them over several North American made speakers any day.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I spoke with a gentleman from HTD about their level three subs, which seem to offer a lot in build and sound quality. He was very informative and polite and responded quickly. Like I said I was interested in the level three sub but it came with the SDA-200 sub amp, I wanted the SDA-500 with level 3 sub and he said this could be worked out and gave me a price, I could not order from the site and would have to do this over the phone. This is good to know that you can customize your purchase (sub) to your needs. I like the outboard amps and passive drivers. Seems they have some good stuff thats been kept secret, at least to me. Thanks Gene for the review. ;) Anyone have any experience with their subs and amps?
Jeff

Last edited:
R

ratm

Audioholic
Ive been an owner of the Level 3 LCR (bookshelfs and CC) for sometime now. Amazing sound, clarity and detail. Paired with my Empire, they are an incredible value and I would not hesitate to purchase again.

Thanks for the video!

E

eddie

Junior Audioholic
E55ti Comparison

I wonder how these would compare to the Emptek E55ti's. Anyone heard both?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Those Level 3s look really nice. A bit of EQ in the bass could go a long way............

That said, I gotta wonder what the point of selling "Bi-wire" cable is. :eek:

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
It would be great to see a "shootout" type article for some under $1k towers. HTD, EMP, Infinity, Pioneer, and maybe one or two more brands.

There seems to be many posts popping up asking how brand x compares to brand y. I think a newer multi brand comparison/shootup would really help folks in there research.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Ive been an owner of the Level 3 LCR (bookshelfs and CC) for sometime now. Amazing sound, clarity and detail. Paired with my Empire, they are an incredible value and I would not hesitate to purchase again.
One of the better deals around, and no ear fatigue
with that horn tweeter - and the imaging is good.

They have stayed in business, because they make
good stuff. I have opened up the Level Three book
shelves, Level Two and the Flat Panel speakers. >
Some of the popular name brands are a step back,
at and above their price point.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
One of the better deals around, and no ear fatigue
with that horn tweeter - and the imaging is good.
Eyeballing it, the very shallow horn looks like it uses a catenary curve. That`s a good start for good sound. It also lets you get away with not rounding the edges over, as the higher directivity of the system will reduce the effect of edge diffraction.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Eyeballing it, the very shallow horn looks like it uses a catenary curve. That`s a good start for good sound. It also lets you get away with not rounding the edges over, as the higher directivity of the system will reduce the effect of edge diffraction.
It is their third placement of the horn tweeter. Which shows
that they do care.

C

chronos56

Audioholic Intern
Own a Level 3 Center

When I went looking for something to match my old but sill phenomenal ESS Heil Amt 1b floor standers I tried a few different speakers. I finally got a Level 3 Center, damaged in shipment but quickly replaced by the company, and was pleasantly surprised by the timbre match, not perfect but good enough.

Dialogue as well as overall tone is great. The speaker has been a real workhorse. It has handled everything I have thrown at it admirably.

The company is good to do business with, I would recommend them to anyone looking for a reasonable priced system.

Chronos

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Wish I knew of this company when I put my ceiling speakers and volume controls in, their stuff looks nice and priced very well.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Are there any plans for a more detailed written review with measurements? They look like good speakers, and I would love to hear more about the ribbon tweeters.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Anybody have any comments or experience with their subs and amps?

T

tdamocles

Junior Audioholic
I had one of the subs from about 10 years ago which had substantial port noise at loud levels. The sub had 2 round ports instead of the slot that they have now so I cannot speak for them now. A story I must tell you about that sub.....I gave it away about 4-5 years ago and it broke shortly after. The next owner called them and they sent him an amp for nothing. Awesome!

ahblaza

ahblaza

I had one of the subs from about 10 years ago which had substantial port noise at loud levels. The sub had 2 round ports instead of the slot that they have now so I cannot speak for them now. A story I must tell you about that sub.....I gave it away about 4-5 years ago and it broke shortly after. The next owner called them and they sent him an amp for nothing. Awesome!
That is real CS and standing behind a product......;)
Thanks

A

Acuramusic42

Audiophyte
Ordered the level 3 Center, If I find it to be, it'll replace my JBL EC 35 Center, then I'll order the level 3 towers to replace my JBL E100 fronts. Going to order an HSU VTF-3 MK4 to go with my Velodyne DLS 4000R for a 9.2 setup using Onkyo TX-NR5009.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Ordered the level 3 Center, If I find it to be, it'll replace my JBL EC 35 Center, then I'll order the level 3 towers to replace my JBL E100 fronts. Going to order an HSU VTF-3 MK4 to go with my Velodyne DLS 4000R for a 9.2 setup using Onkyo TX-NR5009.
Very interesting ;) nice sub, let us know what you think:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis