HTD Level 3 Tower and Level 2 Bookshelf Speakers Video Review

S

STXmiddy4

Audiophyte
Thanks guys. The Onkyo looks like a really good option to use with these towers, for mainly movie watching (60/40 movies-music) what subs would you suggest pairing with them? I'm interested in testing the PSW-110, Mordaunt Short Carnival 9 which seems to be a good deal on accessories4less but I don't know where I would test it, as well as the DefTec Pro Sub 800. Any preferences or ideas?

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
How about HTD subs, I know you can customize them with different level subs and amps for a small increase in price, I know I inquired before buying my PSAs. Only problem with PSA is you can't stop buying them:eek:

S

sukihock

Enthusiast
My Yamaha integrated amp has an 4 ohm tap that I switched to recently. My Level Three Towers already sounded awesome when driving via the 8 ohm tap. With the change I have now achieved a new level of sonic satisfaction. The mids and highs have become more detailed in a good way and the bass has become deeper. Overall I would describe the overall change as more meaty, more overall weight with a perceived sense of transducer control. This suggests that these towers like high current type amp designs. At least that's my layman's take on things. Anyway, maybe most of you have already experienced this...for me this was somewhat of a new revelation.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My Yamaha integrated amp has an 4 ohm tap that I switched to recently. My Level Three Towers already sounded awesome when driving via the 8 ohm tap. With the change I have now achieved a new level of sonic satisfaction. The mids and highs have become more detailed in a good way and the bass has become deeper. Overall I would describe the overall change as more meaty, more overall weight with a perceived sense of transducer control. This suggests that these towers like high current type amp designs. At least that's my layman's take on things. Anyway, maybe most of you have already experienced this...for me this was somewhat of a new revelation.
If they are true 4 ohm taps, then the advantage that you are hearing is impedance matching of the load to the amp. Max power transfer always occurs when the load impedance is matched to the output impedance of the amp. The worst case is when the output impedance of the amp is higher than the input impedance of the speakers. If you want, read up on impedance matching and Thevinin's Equivalent circuits.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the reference!!!!
To be exact, I really should have said that max power transfer occurs when the load impedance is the complex conjugate of the output impedance (i.e. the amplifier "sees" a purely resistive load).

My previous comment was true, but held more for DC rather than AC.

S

sukihock

Enthusiast
To be exact, I really should have said that max power transfer occurs when the load impedance is the complex conjugate of the output impedance (i.e. the amplifier "sees" a purely resistive load).

My previous comment was true, but held more for DC rather than AC.
I appreciate your knowledge in this area. This really explains WHY I'm hearing a difference with these Level Three Towers. In particular, all drivers now seem to be much more controlled. This is something that I can actually hear!! Sounds like the damping factor has increased? The overall presentation is just more tactile. In any event, thanks again for your explanation. This will go a long way in taking much of the guess work out of any future amp/speaker matches I make. I'll pay more attention to how a speaker measures in this area in order to make the appropriate amp match.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I appreciate your knowledge in this area. This really explains WHY I'm hearing a difference with these Level Three Towers. In particular, all drivers now seem to be much more controlled. This is something that I can actually hear!! Sounds like the damping factor has increased? The overall presentation is just more tactile. In any event, thanks again for your explanation. This will go a long way in taking much of the guess work out of any future amp/speaker matches I make. I'll pay more attention to how a speaker measures in this area in order to make the appropriate amp match.
Could you give us the model number of the Yammy? I would like to have a look at it.

S

sukihock

Enthusiast
Could you give us the model number of the Yammy? I would like to have a look at it.
Sorry for delayed response. The model number is A-S500 Yamaha Integrated Amp. Here's the description of the rear panel switch from an authorized dealer's website:

Impedance Switch: The amplifier features a rear-panel impedance switch to match the impedance level of the speakers connected. Choose High or Low:

High: Select High if using one set (A or B) of speakers with impedance of 6-ohm or higher; when bi-wiring the impedance of the speaker must also be 6-ohms or higher.
Low: Select Low if using one set (A or B) of speakers with the impedance of 4-ohm to 6-ohm; if using two sets (A and B) of speakers simultaneously, the impedance of each speaker must be at least 8-ohms; when bi-wiring the impedance of the speaker must also be 4-ohms to 6-ohms.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think that switch just limits the power supply to keep the amp from overheating, that is if it's like some of the Yamahas that Audioholics has looked at in the past.

Last edited:
S

sukihock

Enthusiast
I think that switch just limits the power supply to keep the amp from overheating.
Great read!! I still like the way they sound on the low setting. Sounds like there's more weight behind the notes. For something designed to limit power the speakers now sound like they're receiving more power. At some point I'll switch back to the high setting just to make sure I'm not just hearing things.

S

sukihock

Enthusiast
Great read!! I still like the way they sound on the low setting. Sounds like there's more weight behind the notes. For something designed to limit power the speakers now sound like they're receiving more power. At some point I'll switch back to the high setting just to make sure I'm not just hearing things.
On second thought, I can definitely hear the difference in dynamic range. I think the high setting is the way to go. Guess my almost 50 year old ears are not as acute as they used to be.

W

wraunch

Audiophyte
Are you still selling your level three towers? If so how much?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
On second thought, I can definitely hear the difference in dynamic range. I think the high setting is the way to go. Guess my almost 50 year old ears are not as acute as they used to be.
Just to further validate your (and Audioholics') conclusion, here is a review with measurements of the sibling Yamaha AS700 amp:
(pdf file via the link on this webpage)
Yamaha A-S700 Amplifier Review | Hi-Fi

After experimenting every which way
with the Yamaha A-S700’s impedance selector
and a variety of different loudspeakers, every
one of which I knew the exact impedance of
(thanks to graphs of the impedance modulus-
es, and lists of the actual measured ‘nominal’
overall impedance supplied by
Newport Test
Labs
), I eventually concluded that if you are
using just a single pair of speakers with the
A-S700, you should set the impedance selec-
tor to the ‘high’ position, even if the label on
the rear of the speaker says ‘4Ω’. It is only if
you have connected TWO pairs of speakers to
the A-S700, and will be using the A+B mode
regularly that I would recommend using the
‘Low’ position. (I know this is somewhat at
odds with Yamaha’s recommendation, but I
think Yamaha is playing it super-safe.) As a
result of my investigations, all my listening
sessions were conducted with the A-S700’s
impedance switch set to the ‘High’ position.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sukihock

Enthusiast
Are you still selling your level three towers? If so how much?
Every time I think about selling these things I change my mind after hearing something from my CD collection that blows me away. The mids are nothing to sneeze at but the way they present high and low frequency info is astounding to my ears compared to what I've owned over the years. Anyway, the only way I would part with these is when and if I get to audition another pair of speakers before I let these go. I'm now saving for something I have my eye on to get them in my home to audition. I'm willing to let these go for as low as $500 if I find something in their class that are more musical. I'm always experimenting with speakers. I just no longer have all that disposable income I once had in order to bring multiple speakers into my home.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis