tekton - the next big thing?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I read a paper one of the forum members sent me regarding the actual contents of the Beryllium in some speakers, like Usher. It turns out Usher's so-called Beryllium tweeters have like 1% Beryllium and mostly other metals like aluminum, etc. After reading that, I have no respect for Usher. :D

Maybe their diamond tweeters are also fake. :D

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
I read a paper one of the forum members sent me regarding the actual contents of the Beryllium in some speakers, like Usher. It turns out Usher's so-called Beryllium tweeters have like 1% Beryllium and mostly other metals like aluminum, etc. After reading that, I have no respect for Usher. :D

Maybe their diamond tweeters are also fake. :D
Hahahahaha fake or not the sound stage, clarity tonal balance was really nice it was very similar to the 800 series, they even cost about the same. All their reviews are outstanding as well .... I KNOW take a review for what their worth but their all good non the less.

every speaker i auditioned today i made sure i heard various types of music, The most surprising speakers for me today where the brystos passive and active speakers. Bryston deisgned them to their specs and work with another company, but they have Axiom manufacture them for them.

Designed by Bryston but their being made by Axiom, there very big speakers i think it was three 7 or 8 inch carbon something woofers two 5 inch mid range and 2 titanium doem tweeters. the passive pai went for $6500 and the active pair went for $9500 it has more exspensive crossovers and other internal stuff they sounded even better than the passive.

There were msny speakers that left me drooling and wanting more, another speaker I fell in love with was the Elac reference line wow amazing sound the FS 509 I hope thats the right one.. crisp and clear sound, it was my first time hearing elec speakers and i heard the 2 reference towers

ELAC – Klang lebt – FS 509 VX-JET

but again all the ones that sound simply amazing were bascally priced at $30'000 and up, so everytime i walked into a room i asked right away before i fell in love how much are these guys. lol i left all the brochurs in the car later i will put what i listend too

Last edited:
gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
The most surprising speakers for me today where the brystos passive and active speakers. Bryston deisgned them to their specs and work with another company, but they have Axiom manufacture them for them.

Designed by Bryston but their being made by Axiom, there very big speakers i think it was three 7 or 8 inch carbon something woofers two 5 inch mid range and 2 titanium doem tweeters. the passive pai went for $6500 and the active pair went for $9500 it has more exspensive crossovers and other internal stuff they sounded even better than the passive.
Looks like a premium version of the Axiom M80 and VP180 centers just with 8" woofers instead of 6.5" and comes with cast baskets.

Attachments

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Tekton Design Pendragon Floorstanding Speaker Preview

There are some speaker companies that almost everyone has heard of, Bose, JBL, and Yamaha are such companies. On the other side of the spectrum is Tekton, but they appear to be carving out a reputation and building an online following, especially thanks to the Pendragon. The Pendragon floorstanding speaker sells for $2500 a pair and is a 2-way design equipped with two 10" drivers and three 1" tweeters. The three tweeters are stacked vertically like in a line array design. On the surface, the design of the Pendragon looks interesting but the stacked tweeters and transition of crossing over large bass drivers to high frequency units raises some concerns. Let us know what you think in the comments and please share your listening experiences if you have any for this model or any other Tekton loudspeakers.

Discuss "Tekton Design Pendragon Floorstanding Speaker Preview" here. Read the article.

S

soundman5000

Audiophyte
Happy with Tekton Pendragon

After spending some time on this form I wanted to chime in as I received my new set of Tekton pendragons on the coast in South Carolina last week. I am new to the form but wanted to give you guys my opinion for what it is worth as it looks like only a few people have auditioned these guys.
Unfortunately, I have no high end shops in the area so I am unable to compare these speakers with the current competition however, I worked in the business for years so I do have a trained ear and can report on the fact that these are very good sounding speakers and come with my highest recommendation.

I decided to give the pendragons a try based on the fact that a few years ago I became Single ended tube based and after changing over from a conventional less efficient system I have been on a quest to find speakers that can make the most out of the little power I have now. My new Pendragons are doing just that! I have been enjoying a used set of Fostex loaded Tektons for a few years now but after the addition of a new Inspire Pre and a 7 wpc Inspire amplifier (new production made by Cary Audio founder Dennis Had) it was time to upgrade my speakers a bit. Dennis Had's new amp and pre also has my highest recommendation and Eric with Tekton and Dennis Had are both a pleasure to deal with and just great people. I stumbled on the Pendragons as I wanted a very efficient speaker that would reproduce all octaves as the Fostex is so bass shy but has a magic all it's on. The pendragons took a few days to open up with break-in but I would like to report that " I love these speakers"
I will say after changing over to single ended tube a few years ago I am no longer looking for accuracy as my main buying requirement. If so, I may not be tube based to start with. I am not saying these speakers are not accurate but that was not my main requirement in a pair of speakers. I will report that I do not hear anything odd or off that some post on the form may suggest. The speakers sound very balanced and if anything have a midrange magic that just opens up and brings a big smile to my face and plays very nice with tube amps! I was looking for a fun, engaging lively sound that IMO or for me only set amps and efficient speakers can deliver. However, do not think Cerwin Vega like in a previous post or anything with a horn as I also have vintage Altec and we are talking apples and oranges compared with the Pendragons. I will add these speakers are reveling. Very reveling as I am picking up subtle nuances in my tracks that I never knew were in the recording. The Pendragons are simply the most engaging "fun" speakers I have ever had the pleasure of owning and makes very good use of my 7 wpc. I can listen for hours with no fatigue. Music sounds engaging, the imaging is good. These are keepers in my tube based system. I cannot report on how these would do in a home theater set up as I am a 2 channel guy for the moment; I do see the Center channel is now available so has me thinking. These guys are huge so make sure you have room for them.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
After spending some time on this form I wanted to chime in as I received my new set of Tekton pendragons on the coast in South Carolina last week. I am new to the form but wanted to give you guys my opinion for what it is worth as it looks like only a few people have auditioned these guys.
Unfortunately, I have no high end shops in the area so I am unable to compare these speakers with the current competition however, I worked in the business for years so I do have a trained ear and can report on the fact that these are very good sounding speakers and come with my highest recommendation.

I decided to give the pendragons a try based on the fact that a few years ago I became S.E.T tube based and after changing over from a conventional less efficient system I have been on a quest to find speakers that can make the most out of the little power I have now. My new Pendragons are doing just that! I have been enjoying a used set of Fostex loaded Tektons for a few years now but after the addition of a new Inspire Pre and a 7 wpc Inspire amplifier (new production made by Cary Audio founder Dennis Had) it was time to upgrade my speakers a bit. Dennis Had's new amp and pre also has my highest recommendation and Eric with Tekton and Dennis Had are both a pleasure to deal with and just great people. I stumbled on the Pendragons as I wanted a very efficient speaker that would reproduce all octaves as the Fostex is so bass shy but has a magic all it's on. The pendragons took a few days to open up with break-in but I would like to report that " I love these speakers"
I will say after changing over to SET a few years ago I am no longer looking for accuracy as my main buying requirement. If so, I may not be tube based to start with. I am not saying these speakers are not accurate but that was not my main requirement in a pair of speakers. I will report that I do not hear anything odd or off that some post on the form may suggest. The speakers sound very balanced and if anything have a midrange magic that just opens up and brings a big smile to my face and plays very nice with tube amps! I was looking for a fun, engaging lively sound that IMO or for me only set amps and efficient speakers can deliver. However, do not think Cerwin Vega like in a previous post or anything with a horn as I also have vintage Altec and we are talking apples and oranges compared with the Pendragons. I will add these speakers are reveling. Very reveling as I am picking up subtle nuances in my tracks that I never knew were in the recording. The Pendragons are simply the most engaging "fun" speakers I have ever had the pleasure of owning and makes very good use of my 7 wpc. I can listen for hours with no fatigue. Music sounds engaging, the imaging is good. These are keepers in my tube based system. I cannot report on how these would do in a home theater set up as I am a 2 channel guy for the moment at least; I do see the Center channel is now available so has me thinking. These guys are huge so make sure you have room for them.
I'm glad you love them. Aside from all the negative talks of Tekton or any speakers, The important thing is that we are happy with our speakers and enjoy them. Enjoy the music and movies.

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
Looks like a premium version of the Axiom M80 and VP180 centers just with 8" woofers instead of 6.5" and comes with cast baskets.
from sterophile verybrief but even they said they were very impressive

TAVES Day 1 | Stereophile.com

I was scan the brocure they have spec and measurements for the model t i just dont know which model t they measured. But again they were th emost surprising for me i di not expect that from bryston. Also mcintosh xr100 speakers sounded good to hooked up to their tube amps.

Introducing the Bryston Model T

Considerable effort was devoted to new driver design, enclosure vibration analysis, crossover refinement, anechoic chamber testing, and countless hours of blind listening tests. The Bryston Model T will be offered in three configurations:

1. Passive 3-way with internal crossover $6495

2. Passive 3-way with external crossover $7495

3. Active 3-way with external Bryston DSP Electronic crossover $9495

USA/Canadian suggested list price is $6,495 per pair for the Passive 3-way with internal passive crossover and vinyl finish.

Specifications
■Frequency Response 25Hz to 22kHz (+/-3dB)
■Impedance 4 Ohms (nominal)
■Sensitivity 91 dB SPL @ 1 meter with 1 watt (anechoic)
■Maximum SPL 118 dB SPL @ 1 meter
■Recommended Power 10 watts to 500 watts RMS
■Tweeter 1.0” (dual)
■Midrange 5.5” (dual)
■Woofer 8.0” (triple)
■Crossover 160Hz & 2.3kHz
■Dimensions 52.5” H x 10.5” W x 16.5” D
■1334mm H x 267mm W x 419mm D
■Weight 108 lbs. (each)
■49 kgs. (each)
■Finish Black Ash (Vinyl)
■Optional wood veneers & high gloss painted finishes available

Last edited:
whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic

I decided to give the pendragons a try based on the fact that a few years ago I became Single ended tube based and after changing over from a conventional less efficient system I have been on a quest to find speakers that can make the most out of the little power I have now. My new Pendragons are doing just that! I have been enjoying a used set of Fostex loaded Tektons for a few years now but after the addition of a new Inspire Pre and a 7 wpc Inspire amplifier (new production made by Cary Audio founder Dennis Had) it was time to upgrade my speakers a bit. Dennis Had's new amp and pre also has my highest recommendation and Eric with Tekton and Dennis Had are both a pleasure to deal with and just great people. I stumbled on the Pendragons as I wanted a very efficient speaker that would reproduce all octaves as the Fostex is so bass shy but has a magic all it's on. The pendragons took a few days to open up with break-in but I would like to report that " I love these speakers"
I will say after changing over to single ended tube a few years ago I am no longer looking for accuracy as my main buying requirement. If so, I may not be tube based to start with. I am not saying these speakers are not accurate but that was not my main requirement in a pair of speakers. I will report that I do not hear anything odd or off that some post on the form may suggest. The speakers sound very balanced and if anything have a midrange magic that just opens up and brings a big smile to my face and plays very nice with tube amps! I was looking for a fun, engaging lively sound that IMO or for me only set amps and efficient speakers can deliver. However, do not think Cerwin Vega like in a previous post or anything with a horn as I also have vintage Altec and we are talking apples and oranges compared with the Pendragons. I will add these speakers are reveling. Very reveling as I am picking up subtle nuances in my tracks that I never knew were in the recording. The Pendragons are simply the most engaging "fun" speakers I have ever had the pleasure of owning and makes very good use of my 7 wpc. I can listen for hours with no fatigue. Music sounds engaging, the imaging is good. These are keepers in my tube based system. I cannot report on how these would do in a home theater set up as I am a 2 channel guy for the moment; I do see the Center channel is now available so has me thinking. These guys are huge so make sure you have room for them.
If i was able to audition them I would be able to determined if i would sacrifice the attention to detail in music especially womens vocals.

Glad you are very happy with your pendragons, their still on my list just at the bottom, and now after the taves show they are pushed even further now.

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
I asked a guy in the pendragon thread on andrews site a while back his impressions on the pendragon because he bought a full 5.1 set of pendragons yep a pair of PD in the fromt and a pair of PD in the back and the new centre channel ill post some pics. Here is what he said after a few weeks with them

"Only thing close I've heard would be a good IMAX setup. I haven't heard any setup that comes even close. Since i'm running full range all the way around, the sound for movies is unique since you can hear and feel the low end of ammo flying past you. I'm very happy with these so far. Music is off the charts as well. For the money, maybe even for any money, this is the best combo I've heard. It does require LOTS of space, but if you have it these the best hands down.

Someone asked earlier if I had heard them before I bought them. NOPE. I gambled based off of reviews and speaking to other people that bought and took a chance. I'm glad I did, and you will be too."

Last edited:
ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
nice of him to clean up before putting pix of his living room online :rolleyes:

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Diggin' the surrounds lower half firing directly into the couch though lol :D

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
Bet that tapped horn sub helps the pants flap, too. I think he could use another couple tapped horns, just to make sure it's loud enough.

What? WHAT?!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!! And what's that ringing in my ears?

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
I've never understood why people do that :confused:
seriously. that last pix - "hey hon, we ran out of room in the cupboard for all the groceries"

"oh just put them on the floor then"

wow. cue the banjo's.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
seriously. that last pix - "hey hon, we ran out of room in the cupboard for all the groceries"

"oh just put them on the floor then"

wow. cue the banjo's.
That certainly doesnt look like groceries on the floor and the room does not look like the kitchen it looks more like a utility room complete with toolbox and supplies.
This person was gracious enough to supply pics of the speakers everyone is a buzz about and you and a few others decide to bash him/her, real nice welcome to AH dont ya think.
I think if you look even closer you will see some baby furniture which means someone really has their hands full so lets be grateful for them taking the time to contribute to our ongoing thread, my .02 and I stick by it :mad:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
All kidding aside, I'd really like to see some more reviews (you reading this Gene?) on these speakers. If they perform as some owners say they do, they could be a steal at their price. Not all that attractive of a speaker, but I'm not all that big on aesthetics anyway.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
All kidding aside, I'd really like to see some more reviews (you reading this Gene?) on these speakers. If they perform as some owners say they do, they could be a steal at their price. Not all that attractive of a speaker, but I'm not all that big on aesthetics anyway.
I hear you. I am working on lining up brands/models we've never covered before. I am all about product diversity :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hear you. I am working on lining up brands/models we've never covered before. I am all about product diversity :)
Revel Ultima, KEF Reference, B&W Diamond, Dynaudio Confidence, Focal Electra, Tekton Pendragon, XTZ Devine, Salk SS.....bring them on. :D

Focal Utopia Diablo? I was pretty serious about these bad boys. :D

Maybe it would be easier for companies to ship bookshelf speakers from their flagship line? I mean moving 200 lbs speakers around does get kind of old. :D

You guys think the Diablo sound just as good as the rest of the Utopia line, except much less bass?

Same with the Salk SS bookshelf and the other bookshelf speakers?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Maybe it would be easier for companies to ship bookshelf speakers from their flagship line? I mean moving 200 lbs speakers around does get kind of old.
You ain't kidding about that!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis