Top 5 A/V Receivers in the World!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
All else being equal, a receiver with THX algorithms sounds better for home theater than the one without.

Now of course a $4K non THX Denon will sound better than a $600 THX Onkyo, but what's the point?

THX unfairly gets a bad rap. Especially from fanboys who cant afford their certified equipment and have to justify their purchase to themselves somehow. THX is a very legitimate organisation, which enforces a certain quality standard. Yes, they make money. But it's a business like any other, nothing wrong with that :)
Ridiklas.
I am somewhat new to all this THX stuff so please, in your own words without any links to the info, please tell me what this whole THX thing means to our HT set-ups , I for one will surely appreciate your explanation as to the whole THX addition to my system, please inform me so I can understand better, thanks, sawz.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here is my list:

1. Denon
1. Marantz
1. Anthem
1. AudioControl
1. Arcam
1. Yamaha
1. Pioneer Elite
1. Integra
2. NAD
2. Rotel
2. Cambridge
2. Harman Kardon
2. Onkyo 1000s & up
3. Onkyo 800s
3. Sherwood
4. Sony
4. Pioneer (not Elite)
4. Onkyo under 800s
5. Onkyo under 700s

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Don't you know?

Ridiklas.
I am somewhat new to all this THX stuff so please, in your own words without any links to the info, please tell me what this whole THX thing means to our HT set-ups , I for one will surely appreciate your explanation as to the whole THX addition to my system, please inform me so I can understand better, thanks, sawz.
THX certification is very important. without it, you might as well be listening to a 70's Radio Shack Flavoradio (Blueberry, I think).

As you can see, this explanation from THX themselves explains, in great detail, exactly what the benefit is of having this certification in this one often overlooked area.

As you can see, this is very important to your systems performance. Just as having the big, gold, bird decal on the hood of your black Trans Am's increased their performance exponentially.

Last edited:
R

ridikas

Banned
Markw, you can joke all you want, but it actually makes a lot of sense to buy THX certified HDMI cables. With so much garbage coming in from China, I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of the HDMI cables on the market are out of spec.

It's very hard to find reputable sources who actually invest a lot of time and hard work in testing their products.

These guys are my favorite: Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices Great prices and great products, no THX certificate needed :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Markw, you can joke all you want, but it actually makes a lot of sense to buy THX certified HDMI cables. With so much garbage coming in from China, I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of the HDMI cables on the market are out of spec.

It's very hard to find reputable sources who actually invest a lot of time and hard work in testing their products.

These guys are my favorite: Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices Great prices and great products, no THX certificate needed :)
Maybe you didn't notice, or you haven't actually used them like you claim, but even Bluejeans sources some of the cables they sell from China (and that isn't a knock against them either, I actually DO use their products). So your point is, once again, completely contradictory and useless as ever.

R

ridikas

Banned
This will be my last response to you. Please learn how to read ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've also bought & used some cheap HDMI cables from BJC and Monoprice. Okay for me. I have to watch my spending. On a tight budget.

R

ridikas

Banned
Yup, Monoprice is great for the price! :D I've used them before. If one is to buy an HDMI cable which has not been tested, this is it. Great for hooking up secondary systems, etc.

As for class D amplification, please ask the question again without a condescending tone and we can continue to debate :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

WOW. The THX certified cables comment just sealed the deal to show how little you actually know about good HT. HDMI is a digital format, as long as there is ANY signal, you are good to go.

R

ridikas

Banned
Then I'm afraid you don't understand how HDMI cables, or digital signals work, what bandwidth is required, frequency, gauge requirements for longer runs, etc.

This is a good place to start. Take a look at the "Links" box in the upper right: HDMI Cable from Blue Jeans Cable

HDMI Cable Speed & Features Explained — Reviews and News from Audioholics

HDMI Cable Testing Results — Reviews and News from Audioholics

HDMI 1.3 and Cables Part 1: It's All in the Bitrate — Reviews and News from Audioholics

There are hundreds of other resources for you on the web. Hope this helps!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Can someone please tell me how to use the ignore function?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Dude, I ain't in the sh!t Business. I don't buy it, nor do I sell it.

Then I'm afraid you don't understand how HDMI cables, or digital signals work, what bandwidth is required, frequency, gauge requirements for longer runs, etc.

This is a good place to start. Take a look at the "Links" box in the upper right: HDMI Cable from Blue Jeans Cable

HDMI Cable Speed & Features Explained — Reviews and News from Audioholics

HDMI Cable Testing Results — Reviews and News from Audioholics

HDMI 1.3 and Cables Part 1: It's All in the Bitrate — Reviews and News from Audioholics

There are hundreds of other resources for you on the web. Hope this helps!
You're obviously in the latter. Any junior-high kid can google and post links. Howsa bout actually answering Strongs questions in your own words.

And, yes, THX certification on cables, particularly audio intrconnects and speaker wire is a joke. It's a MINIMUM. Many go beyond the minimum and just don't want to bother wasting the money to simply affix three more letters to their equipment. They know that those "in the know" know better.

Please note that Monster, that paragon of virtue and honesty, was among the first, and just about only one to jump on the THX cable bandwagon.

R

ridikas

Banned
Click on my name, click view public profile, click on user lists, and add user to ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis