Top 5 A/V Receivers in the World!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
All else being equal, a receiver with THX algorithms sounds better for home theater than the one without.
You sound like a big-time expert to me. Makes me wonder why you'd ask any of us for advice.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
All else being equal, a receiver with THX algorithms sounds better for home theater than the one without.

Now of course a $4K non THX Denon will sound better than a $600 THX Onkyo, but what's the point?
Now you are mixing up your terminology. THX algorithms (codecs) and THX certification are not the same thing.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Now of course a $4K non THX Denon will sound better than a $600 THX Onkyo, but what's the point?

THX unfairly gets a bad rap. Especially from fanboys who cant afford their certified equipment and have to justify their purchase to themselves somehow. THX is a very legitimate organisation, which enforces a certain quality standard. Yes, they make money. But it's a business like any other, nothing wrong with that :)
And does THX sound better for music too? You are on the "Audioholics" site, not the Home theater site, and working on getting ignored by the majority of the forum or banned completely.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
What useluess posts from this kid. Anyway, I used the google and found the real list of the top 5 recievers in the world:
1) Mike Wallace
2) Victor Cruz
3) Andre Johnson
4) Larry Fitzgerald
5) Calvin Johnson

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Calvin Johnson at 5? :eek: Your lists are almost worse than ridikas' lists! :D

R

ridikas

Banned
Then you probably missed that Audioholics is an online audio/"VIDEO" magazine?
And home theater around here is very important. If you threaten me again, I will report you.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
And home theater around here is very important. If you threaten me again, I will report you.
That was most certainly not a threat, just giving you a heads up to what everyone else was already thinking.

Again, I pose the question: If I am interested ONLY in 2 Channel music, is THX still the gold standard when purchasing a receiver?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
If the quality of this thread wasn't already an indication, this sort of temper certainly is..

R

ridikas

Banned
No, not at all. Do you know any 2 channel THX receivers?

Nor do I care about THX certified HDTV displays, cables, subwoofers, etc.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja

There are plenty of THX-certified 2-channel amps.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Well, to get the most out of a THX system, you would want ALL components in the chain to be THX certified. But, it's a moot point b/c THX is not the holy-grail of recievers that you make it out to be.

R

ridikas

Banned
Yup, that I'm aware of. And nope, don't care for the THX rating on a separate power amp. Picking a good quality amp is easy.

But when it comes to A/V receivers it's a whole different ball game. THX (surround, timber, etc.) algorithms sound fantastic!

THX certificate is also important in an A/V receiver because manufacturers blatantly cheat! Have you seen some of the power supplies where the makers claim 100+ watts all 7 channels driven? They are a joke! Or those that use class D amplification. Or non discrete output stages :(

I value THX for the following:

- A/V receivers, because I get the fantastic THX algorithms and a reassurance that the receiver will perform correctly as rated for power.

- Center channel speakers. Because it makes sure that it's not just an LCR speaker placed horizontally. Either the tweeter is above the woofers, or it's a proper 3-way design, where the tweeter and upper midrange drivers are positioned vertically and crossed low to the woofers.

- Rear speakers.

- And for the fronts, although much less important in my opinion.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There are plenty of THX-certified 2-channel amps.
And THX cert monoblocks.

Wait, the subwoofer is a speaker...so now you are contradicting yourself in a huge way. You want THX cert speakers but the sub can be something on your list? What if it isn't THX? I guess most of your sub list just went out the window. By your way of thinking that means you also need a room that meets THX requirements as well.

Sorry, but you are still King of Fail.

R

ridikas

Banned
Point to where I said that everything must be THX? Or this will be you fail number... 10? All in one day no less!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, that I'm aware of. And nope, don't care for the THX rating on a separate power amp. Picking a good quality amp is easy.

But when it comes to A/V receivers it's a whole different ball game. THX (surround, timber, etc.) algorithms sound fantastic!

THX certificate is also important in an A/V receiver because manufacturers blatantly cheat! Have you seen some of the power supplies where the makers claim 100+ watts all 7 channels driven? They are a joke! Or those that use class D amplification. Or non discrete output stages :(

I value THX for the following:

- A/V receivers, because I get the fantastic THX algorithms and a reassurance that the receiver will perform correctly as rated for power.

- Center channel speakers. Because it makes sure that it's not just an LCR speaker placed horizontally. Either the tweeter is above the woofers, or it's a proper 3-way design, where the tweeter and upper midrange drivers are positioned vertically and crossed low to the woofers.

- Rear speakers.

- And for the fronts, although much less important in my opinion.
Have you read the home theater reviews of the class D pioneers? Have you heard them?

Again, you are confusing THX certification (power ratings etc) with THX processing (algorithms). I would be willing to bet you can find a THX certified receiver that has fudged the numbers on the spec sheet, proven when a 3rd party takes the measurements.

You seem to speak on emotion and opinion rather than facts and measurements. This site is dedicated to objective observations and scientific measurements.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Heard them and didn't like them.
Please elaborate. What models, what was associated equipment, was it a blind test, what did you not like. Sounds like voodoo science to me.

R

ridikas

Banned
The THX Elite models with the medium to lower end B&W and Focal speakers. On several occasion and at different locations.

Class D amplifiers at higher frequencies all sound pretty bad. A lifeless, unnatural, harsh type of sound. Fatiguing after a while.

Poor bass due to high output impedance. Poor handling of 4 ohm speaker loads. And the list goes on and on.

Of course the sound quality issues that I've had are only in my opinion. But the poor performance issues of class D amplification is a proven fact.

You can even read all about class D performance and view the test results on Audioholics :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis