B&W 802D: 3rd Time's a Charm on Friday the 13th

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Actually, the hiss was from the 800D + Classe amp.

The 802D + Rotel amp did not have the hiss.

Was the 802D you auditioned connected to a Classe amp?

Nautilus, huh?

They use aluminum tweeters, great, but common.

They are $60K/PR and use aluminum tweeters, while their $5K/pr 805D use diamonds. :eek:
They were using McIntosh components. I think the amp was a MC452 with balanced connectors. The tweeter hiss was audible from 3-4 ft. maybe more. There was also a buzz from the amp that was audible from 6" away from the amp chassis.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They were using McIntosh components. I think the amp was a MC452 with balanced connectors. The tweeter hiss was audible from 3-4 ft. maybe more. There was also a buzz from the amp that was audible from 6" away from the amp chassis.
The 802D I auditioned did not have any hiss or hum or buzz.

That dealer you went to is........I'm speechless. :D

Classe & McIntosh amps having hiss noise from speakers. What's up with that? :D

The dealer I went to also sells McIntosh. But they used Rotel & Classe amps.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The tweeter hiss was audible from 3-4 ft. maybe more. There was also a buzz from the amp that was audible from 6" away from the amp chassis.
I'm not sure I've ever had an amp that didn't have some hum if you got close and listened (in a quiet room). IME, it starts out louder and quiets as it warms up and stabilizes, but it is still there if you put your ear close (and don't have HVAC running, for example).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
.......about where he's going to put them until he builds a separate man cave for them.
For $10,000 + tax, you know where they are going. :eek:

But just still debating with myself if I should go for it. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well for that money there are speakers higher on my list, but it ain't my 10 grand either :D

From my point of view while standing in your shoes, the question isn't yes or no...............it's here or there.

Just sayin'

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well for that money there are speakers higher on my list, but it ain't my 10 grand either :D

From my point of view while standing in your shoes, the question isn't yes or no...............it's here or there.

Just sayin'
You guys are coming from a sensible, rational, and practical perspective - heavens forbid. :D

So let's just say that it ain't making my decision any easier. :eek:

I don't care what they say. Peer pressure always matters. :D

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
You have mentioned a few times that you're most interested in having a diamond tweeter. Ask Dennis if he can build you a Phil3 D...:D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You have mentioned a few times that you're most interested in having a diamond tweeter. Ask Dennis if he can build you a Phil3 D...:D
With what? That $2800 Accuton thing? ;) Is there another diamond tweeter on the market?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's funny. But no.

I'm actually more interested in the Marlan head & overall aesthetics than the diamond tweeter, which does have a certain exotic appeal. :D

How many carats is that diamond anyway? :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
How many carats is that diamond anyway? :D
not enough to impress the little wife that's for sure or anyone else. :D

Just buy you two JANTZEN JDT-1024 tweeters and send them to Dennis to build you a new pair of speakers. The two tweeters will only set you back $4000 bucks or a Accuton D20-6-31 Pure Diamond 3/4" Dome Tweeter for only $2,900 each :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
not enough to impress the little wife that's for sure or anyone else. :D

Just buy you two JANTZEN JDT-1024 tweeters and send them to Dennis to build you a new pair of speakers. The two tweeters will only set you back $4000 bucks or a Accuton D20-6-31 Pure Diamond 3/4" Dome Tweeter for only $2,900 each :D
Wow. I didn't even know anyone else made a diamond tweeter. :eek:

$2K-$3K for one diamond tweeter? Geez. Crazy.

I wonder how much is the 802D diamond tweeter?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
B&W Group North America Service & Support - B&W Parts Retail Price List

802D replacement parts. All prices shown are per individual item unless otherwise specified...

Diamond Tweeter w/ housing $1223
Midrange $312
Woofers $400 x 2 = $800
Plinth $2206
Head Assembly $2693
Crossover $841
Other parts $1,000+

Total = $9,000 per speaker x 2 = $18K/PR

Delmond Won told me once the costs of just the cabinets alone without any drivers & crossovers would be about $8K/PR (this includes the stain/finish/polishing) .

I calculated $2693 + $2206 = $4899 x 2 = $9,798/PR cabinets (this includes the stain/finish/polishing).

Tweeter $1223 + midrange $312 + 2 woofers $800 = $2335 x 2 = $4670/PR drivers.

So cabinets + drivers = $ 14,468/PR.

Of course, we know it doesn't cost B&W this much.

But who can hand-make the complete cabinets of the 802D (including the Marlan head assembly and curved body from 20 layers of beech)?

I wonder why the B&W diamond tweeter is so much cheaper than the Jantzen & Accuton Diamond.. All 3 diamond tweeters are Chemical Vapour Deposition.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
B&W no doubt purchases in bulk the tweeters hence the savings. Still not sure you are going to be able to really hear a $2000 difference in sound from the RAAL. But it the B&W speaker would be cooler looking.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
B&W no doubt purchases in bulk the tweeters hence the savings. Still not sure you are going to be able to really hear a $2000 difference in sound from the RAAL. But it the B&W speaker would be cooler looking.:D
IMO the diamond tweeter does not sound any better than the RAAL or SEAS or Titanium or Beryllium or aluminum tweeters.

Just like Dennis will tell you the BG Neo8 sounds at least as great as the much more expensive Accuton midrange in the $16,000 Soundscape.

And the dual $400 B&W bass woofers do not sound better than the single ScanSpeak woofer in the Phil3.

And the $300 B&W midrange does not sound better than the $80 Neo8 midrange either IMO.

Sex appeal. Exotic appeal. Coolness factor. Something like that. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
B&W Group North America Service & Support - B&W Parts Retail Price List

802D replacement parts. All prices shown are per individual item unless otherwise specified...

Diamond Tweeter w/ housing $1223
Midrange $312
Woofers $400 x 2 = $800
Plinth $2206
Head Assembly $2693
Crossover $841
Other parts $1,000+

Total = $9,000 per speaker x 2 = $18K/PR

Delmond Won told me once the costs of just the cabinets alone without any drivers & crossovers would be about $8K/PR (this includes the stain/finish/polishing) .

I calculated $2693 + $2206 = $4899 x 2 = $9,798/PR cabinets (this includes the stain/finish/polishing).

Tweeter $1223 + midrange $312 + 2 woofers $800 = $2335 x 2 = $4670/PR drivers.

So cabinets + drivers = $ 14,468/PR.

Of course, we know it doesn't cost B&W this much.

But who can hand-make the complete cabinets of the 802D (including the Marlan head assembly and curved body from 20 layers of beech)?

I wonder why the B&W diamond tweeter is so much cheaper than the Jantzen & Accuton Diamond.. All 3 diamond tweeters are Chemical Vapour Deposition.
From the auditions I've done, I would take ribbon tweeters over diamonds any day of the week.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis