B&W 802D: 3rd Time's a Charm on Friday the 13th

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I though the 802 were decent when I audition them but I don't think they were worth the asking price.

For $10k I'd want to look at these:

Focus SE | Legacy Audio - Building the World's Finest Audio Systems

Legacy Focus SE Loudspeaker (TAS 215) | AVguide
I have one word: aesthetics.

I'm not just buying for the SQ. That's where the Salon2, 201/2, Orion, & Phil3 come in.

I think the 802D possess the craftsmanship and aesthetics that most speakers cannot touch, not even the Salon2. This time I thought the 802D sounded very good. Not among the best, but very good.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja

I'm not just buying for the SQ. That's where the Salon2, 201/2, Orion, & Phil3 come in.

I think the 802D possess the craftsmanship and aesthetics that most speakers cannot touch, not even the Salon2. This time I thought the 802D sounded very good. Not among the best, but very good.
Turn the lights off, and they'll all look the same :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

so you are going to buy these 802D speakers because they look good :rolleyes:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
so you are going to buy these 802D speakers because they look good :rolleyes:
Great aesthetics & craftsmanship never hurts. The SQ is important. And these 802D can sound good. I won't truly know until I've listened to them for days. An hour audition isn't enough to really judge a speaker.

Will see. Not a sure thing I will buy them either. :D

But if I were doing a poll, looks like 100% says "Don't buy them". :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Great aesthetics & craftsmanship never hurts. The SQ is important. And these 802D can sound good. I won't truly know until I've listened to them for days. An hour audition isn't enough to really judge a speaker.

Will see. Not a sure thing I will buy them either. :D

But if I were doing a poll, looks like 99% says "Don't buy them". :D
I'll back you up on this one. I auditioned the 802Ds and I didn't hate the sound. I thought they sounded "pretty good" and I wouldn't fault you for buying them on aesthetics (for the most part). They do look awesome :cool:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I'll back you up on this one. I auditioned the 802Ds and I didn't hate the sound. I thought they sounded "pretty good" and I wouldn't fault you for buying them on aesthetics (for the most part). They do look awesome :cool:
Do you think they sounded better than your EMP E41-Bs? :D :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The big dilemma I have now is space in my HT room.

If I get the 802D, I will have to move the Phil3 into the family room.

Kids at parties........running around..........food & drinks...........:eek: :eek:

Not a pleasant thought regarding arguably the best sounding speakers I have! :(

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Kids at parties........running around..........food & drinks...........:eek: :eek:

Maybe get a speaker cover? :confused:
It's kind of an inconvenience, but I'd be willing to "store" them for you. They'll be perfectly safe in my living room.

:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's kind of an inconvenience, but I'd be willing to "store" them for you. They'll be perfectly safe in my living room.

:D
I bet you would. I bet you would even pay a one-way shipping to your living room too. Very kind of you! :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Do you think they sounded better than your EMP E41-Bs? :D :p
No :p Theres not even more to say about it. Well, other then the fact the I couldn't fit the B&W 802Ds on my desk :D

The big dilemma I have now is space in my HT room.

If I get the 802D, I will have to move the Phil3 into the family room.

How.................dare..............you...........:mad:

Perish the thought :D:p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How.................dare..............you...........:mad:

Perish the thought :D:p
You're right. That would be unforgivable. :D

I have better idea. Add a room to the house? Yeah?

My family room is 18' x 20', the 20' wall is the outer wall, distance is like 125 ft to back fence.

So I could add a 20' x 30' room. :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I have better idea. Add a room to the house? Yeah?

My family room is 18' x 20', the 20' wall is the outer wall, distance is like 125 ft to back fence.

So I could add a 20' x 30' room. :D
Incorrect.

What you need is not to expand laterally, but vertically.

You need a basement speaker-switching machine like the harman blind test room :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Incorrect.

What you need is not to expand laterally, but vertically.

You need a basement speaker-switching machine like the harman blind test room :D
How..............dare................. :mad:

No, doesn't quite have the same effect here. :D

I'm actually serious here.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I though the 802 were decent when I audition them but I don't think they were worth the asking price.

For $10k I'd want to look at these:

Focus SE | Legacy Audio - Building the World's Finest Audio Systems
Ah, the latest version of my previous speakers. Even my early editions were very good, in my opinion the overall equal of anything I heard from 1996 until about 2004 or so. I was sometimes tempted to switch, as I was with the Dunlavys, but didn't make a move until I got the Salon 2s. The only whine I had about them was a lower-midrange coloration, but I am very sensitive to that sort of thing.

I haven't heard the Focus SEs, but I have heard the HDs, which are nearly the same. I was amazed at how much the HDs sounded like my original Focus, in strengths as well as weaknesses. For example, my pair imaged well side-to-side, to the point of audibly disappearing, but I could never get much sense of depth from them. The same was true with HDs. The Focus also suffers from the same sort of problem the Dunlavys did, which was a very prominent sweet spot that virtually dictated your seating position. Finally, Duddleston likes to tinker with in-room response to suit his taste, and speakers like the Dunlavys and the Revels (and the Orion) sound more natural and less "technicolor". (As an aside, I almost traded up to Dunlavys, but the Focus leaf tweeters were very audibly superior.)

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
B&W Hiss

ADTG, remember when I posted about auditioning the 802D's? There was a hiss in the tweeter. I've read several other people in this thread have heard a hiss in the tweeter when auditioning the 802D's. Can all of the hiss we're hearing be amp noise or could it be a defect of the tweeter?

I think you should stop messing around with 802D's and go for the Nautilus. :D

Nautilus | technologies - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers

Or build your own.

Building a Pair of Knock-Off B&W Nautilus Speakers

Matt34

Matt34

Ah, the latest version of my previous speakers. Even my early editions were very good, in my opinion the overall equal of anything I heard from 1996 until about 2004 or so. I was sometimes tempted to switch, as I was with the Dunlavys, but didn't make a move until I got the Salon 2s. The only whine I had about them was a lower-midrange coloration, but I am very sensitive to that sort of thing.

I haven't heard the Focus SEs, but I have heard the HDs, which are nearly the same. I was amazed at how much the HDs sounded like my original Focus, in strengths as well as weaknesses. For example, my pair imaged well side-to-side, to the point of audibly disappearing, but I could never get much sense of depth from them. The same was true with HDs. The Focus also suffers from the same sort of problem the Dunlavys did, which was a very prominent sweet spot that virtually dictated your seating position. Finally, Duddleston likes to tinker with in-room response to suit his taste, and speakers like the Dunlavys and the Revels (and the Orion) sound more natural and less "technicolor". (As an aside, I almost traded up to Dunlavys, but the Focus leaf tweeters were very audibly superior.)
I've been reading up on them lately and they seem to have a smaller online presence but the people that do talk about them, like them a lot.

I want to here the fully active Whisper XD or the Helix at the next show I go to.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG, remember when I posted about auditioning the 802D's? There was a hiss in the tweeter. I've read several other people in this thread have heard a hiss in the tweeter when auditioning the 802D's. Can all of the hiss we're hearing be amp noise or could it be a defect of the tweeter?

I think you should stop messing around with 802D's and go for the Nautilus. :D
Actually, the hiss was from the 800D + Classe amp.

The 802D + Rotel amp did not have the hiss.

Was the 802D you auditioned connected to a Classe amp?

Nautilus, huh?

They use aluminum tweeters, great, but common.

They are $60K/PR and use aluminum tweeters, while their $5K/pr 805D use diamonds. :eek:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis