Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, since I want good extension and impact I am considering a sub as well and that all of course depends on which mains I go with. If I remember the Phil 2's do not have the extension that the 3's have. If I go with the 3's I would hold off on any sub due to the 3's extension. I am just an impact/low end freak so I want it to be right or it will drive me nuts (but it has to be musical at the same time);)

Such demands...

Oh and it truly will be for music only.

Gordon
The Salon2 has more bass than the Phil3. Yet Irvrobinson and I both use dual subs with our Salon2. Why? Because we are bass fiends.

The Phil3 has enough bass to rattle your walls for sure. But if you want earthquake, T-Rex, and "Inception" bass even for music, you better get subs.

If you want your music bass to punch you in the gut and knock you senseless like a sledgehammer to the head and freight train from hell :eek: , better get subs. :D

Last edited:
Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
The Salon2 has more bass than the Phil3. Yet Irvrobinson and I both use dual subs with our Salon2. Why? Because we are bass fiends.

The Phil3 has enough bass to rattle your walls for sure. But if you want earthquake, T-Rex, and "Inception" bass even for music, you better get subs.

If you want your music bass to punch you in the gut and knock you senseless like a sledgehammer to the head and freight train from hell :eek: , better get subs. :D
The 2's have a slight bump at 40 it looks like but they roll off hard after that so by the time they hit 30Hz it looks as if they are down 4 to 5dB and they fall faster after that.

And the 3's look as if they get a little more reach due to the woofer and increased length of the TL.

I love the design approach of the Phil's, with a dedicated LF enclosure and separate mid/hi box. It really allows each enclosure to be tuned and designed around the drivers and the freq. range being addressed without interference.

So take it away Dennis :D

Sorry for the bad set up.

Gordon

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Im surrounded by 6 or 7 wineries.... does that get me a discount?:D
Yeah, but it's Virginia wine :D

I'm out here too, I sent you a PM with my location.

Maybe we should get Dennis to come out with both our speakers, have an in-home setup for each of us, go to a couple of wine tastings then dinner at the Inn at Little Washington.

A man can dream, can't he?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Yeah, but it's Virginia wine :D

I'm out here too, I sent you a PM with my location.

Maybe we should get Dennis to come out with both our speakers, have an in-home setup for each of us, go to a couple of wine tastings then dinner at the Inn at Little Washington.

A man can dream, can't he?
Sounds good to me. Of course, dinner will cost more than the speakers.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Can't go wrong with either.

But it is a "dilemma" isn't it?

On one hand, the Phil2 is probably the best deal - has the same tweeter & midrange as the Phil3 & $1K less! The $1K could be used for dual subs - like.....oh........I don't know.......the 18" passive subs from CraigSUB for $500 each? :eek: :D (okay, somebody can slap me if you want for obsessing over passive subs) :D

On the other hand, if this is the "last pair of speakers you will ever buy" (as Siegfried Linkwitz would say :eek: ), getting the "flagship" is very tempting.

I say get the Phil2 + dual subs (Grant..........yes your name IS Grant :eek:.......would say Rythmik FV12 :D).
Actually I would say to diy 4X Dayton RSS390 + these flat pack cabinets;

3.5 cu ft Subwoofer box - Subwoofer - Flat Packs DIY Sound Group

Maybe even use two as flanking subs up to around ~160hz, and all four from 20hz - 100hz.

That would be low distortion, flat frequency response bass.

Of course then o would suggest switching to some 18s...

just don't ask me. because no one will listen.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I got very lucky and needed only a single sub (albeit a very large sub), but everything else you say is correct. And the more bass-capable the mains are the better the sub blending would be. So even though I've heard neither Phil, I'd bet on the 3 if I were going to use a sub, and I'm so sold on subs I can't imagine having a music system without one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Actually I would say to diy 4X Dayton RSS390 + these flat pack cabinets;

3.5 cu ft Subwoofer box - Subwoofer - Flat Packs DIY Sound Group

Maybe even use two as flanking subs up to around ~160hz, and all four from 20hz - 100hz.

That would be low distortion, flat frequency response bass.

Of course then o would suggest switching to some 18s...

just don't ask me. because no one will listen.
Is building a sub like building a PC?:eek:

Because I can build a PC just fine. :D

Nevertheless, some of us do prefer to just throw our money at the problem. :eek: :D

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
I've considered a DIY project, and if there is a popular cabinet that might work within specifications outlined by available tools I might go this route. However, I want a good, 'musical' sub or two and I'm not quite confident enough either in myself or the interwebs the output would suffice. I'm with you ADTG, sending Rythmik or Seaton my money is the more confident route, but jeez not all of us bleed money like you do :eek: :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Is building a sub like building a PC?:eek:

Because I can build a PC just fine. :D

Nevertheless, some of us do prefer to just throw our money at the problem. :eek: :D
About the same if you're building a precut flat pack. More painting I suppose, but not hard.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've considered a DIY project, and if there is a popular cabinet that might work within specifications outlined by available tools I might go this route. However, I want a good, 'musical' sub or two and I'm not quite confident enough either in myself or the interwebs the output would suffice. I'm with you ADTG, sending Rythmik or Seaton my money is the more confident route, but jeez not all of us bleed money like you do :eek: :D
About the same if you're building a precut flat pack. More painting I suppose, but not hard.
Well, what do you guys think about the passive 18" subs from CraigSUB?

The single 18" woofer sub (23" x 21" x 21") is $500, and the dual 18" woofers (40" x 22" x 22") is $1K each.

https://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=29&Itemid=53&TreeId=2&redirected=1&Itemid=103

V

Venture Steve

Audiophyte
Center Chanel Speaker to match Phil 2's

A little off topic,, While I am awaiting MY Phil 2's, I have been looking for a center speaker that would be a good match for the 2's. I have even considered a DIY!!
Any suggestions in both ereas, buying and building??

Thanks,

Steve

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
^^^

Salk SongCenter, NHT AudioCenter2 and NHT SuperCenter have all been suggested as having similar voicing and tonal balance to the Philharmonics to work well as a center channel speaker. I believe the order I have listed would also be considered best/great/good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A little off topic,, While I am awaiting MY Phil 2's, I have been looking for a center speaker that would be a good match for the 2's. I have even considered a DIY!!
Any suggestions in both ereas, buying and building??

Thanks,

Steve
The best center channel for the phil2 is.............another Phil2. :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The best center channel for the phil2 is.............another Phil2. :D
That would be perfect.. if it were a few inches shorter and like a foot less deep. I would prop it up right in front of the electronics stand :D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
That would be perfect.. if it were a few inches shorter and like a foot less deep. I would prop it up right in front of the electronics stand :D
Jim Salk does sell a center I designed for the Phil's. You can e-mail him about it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yea I was looking at the sardonyx or magnifico. My other issue is, for those prices how can I sneak in another Phil 3 or maybe a Phil 2 for the center instead. If I can get creative the latter, if GAF is going to eat me alive then I guess the former :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yea I was looking at the sardonyx or magnifico. My other issue is, for those prices how can I sneak in another Phil 3 or maybe a Phil 2 for the center instead. If I can get creative the latter, if GAF is going to eat me alive then I guess the former :D
Says the man who wouldn't spend $100 on a wireless solution for sending audio to his receiver... :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis