Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I'm not so sure that the lack of effortlessness at realistic listening levels in large rooms is a sensitivity issue. Not having specific expertise in this field, I'm not sure what the cause is. I'm just making a subjective observation.
He actually uses the term "horns" and "large woofers," for what it's worth. So what he's saying is you don't need large woofer-style or high sensitive designs to hit reference levels in the typical consumer's home for the short periods of time that music and movies might call on them.

restaurants :eek:
My deal with speakers and sound in my older age is that I look for equipment that can support an representation of the music at lower db levels around 60 - 85db without having to crank up the volume. Sure I get some short peaks like symphonic music peaks (120-137db) but it's short lived.
Waaaaa? What symphonic music has peaks into the 120-137dB range?

Concerning rock concerts, the live rock music actually sounds far worse than the studio recording, so rock and metal heads don't use live music as a reference for that genre. They likely also don't listen to the album as loud as the live performance either (live is WAY too loud, thus I always wore ear plugs; the nice ones that musicians use, though).

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
Concerning rock concerts, the live rock music actually sounds far worse than the studio recording, so rock and metal heads don't use live music as a reference for that genre. They likely also don't listen to the album as loud as the live performance either (live is WAY too loud, thus I always wore ear plugs; the nice ones that musicians use, though).

On average, concerts levels are running in the 105dB to 110db with some shows getting even louder depending on the type of music. Many contemporary churches are also now running in the 100dB to 105dB on average, with the church worship time running up to 45 minutes.

Overall, due to technological advances in speaker designs and electronics, concert sound levels are actually getting lower, compared to years ago, (somewhat) in volume with the sound quality improving greatly.

Gordon

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Waaaaa? What symphonic music has peaks into the 120-137dB range? """"

hold on caffeine attack, that should read 106-114db ( bass rolls, trombones, piccolo's), I was thinking about pneumatic drivers for some weird reason. Carry on.

Do you remember when rock bands started turning the sound up louder and louder? Legend goes that it was back in the days of Grand Funk Railroad. I remember hearing a story about their manager. He discovered that whenever he had the sound engineer turn the sound up really loud, the kids in attendance would leave the concert in a state of euphoria. It's not that the music was so spiritually uplifting. It was a physiological state of euphoria caused by the sheer sound volume hitting their bodies for an extended period of time.

Just found this bit of crazy information: The title of LOUDEST rock band on record was held by a British Punk band called Gallows at 132.5 decibels breaking MANOWAR's previous record of 129.5 decibels.:eek:

Last edited:
Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
Do you remember when rock bands started turning the sound up louder and louder? Legend goes that it was back in the days of Grand Funk Railroad. I remember hearing a story about their manager. He discovered that whenever he had the sound engineer turn the sound up really loud, the kids in attendance would leave the concert in a state of euphoria. It's not that the music was so spiritually uplifting. It was a physiological state of euphoria caused by the sheer sound volume hitting their bodies for an extended period of time.

Just found this bit of crazy information: The title of LOUDEST rock band on record was held by a British Punk band called Gallows at 132.5 decibels breaking MANOWAR's previous record of 129.5 decibels.:eek:
And then we had the Greatful Dead. Some of the things they worked on in the 60's and 70's have been refined and are still being used in live sound today.

Gordon

And if i could figure out how to add photos i would post some of the "wall-of-sound" photos.....:rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis