Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

I

internova

Enthusiast
How does the cabinet build wquality affect the sound. What excatly fo you mean by the buid quailty , just the asthetics ? Thanks for your respone !
Both cabinets are well-made, rigid, well-braced and are free from any cabinet resonances. I have the 3. Sure you don't want the heavenly bass from Scan? :D

I'm sure you'll be fine with the 2. But, hey, that's a state-of-the-art Scan Revelator. It will shake the house. Wilson Sophia uses similar Scan driver (not the paper version) in the bass. If you ask me which part of Sophia I like best, it's the bass. I know adding $1000 is quite a bit. But you're getting two Scan Revelators extending down to the 20s (plus you got to pick the veneer - that's priceless). That's cheaper than regular pricing subwoofers. This could be an one-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own a pair of Scan bass at this price point. :D

OK, you can see I'm a Scan Revelator fan. I think you'll be thrilled with the 2.

S

sequest

Audiophyte
Both cabinets are well-made, rigid, well-braced and are free from any cabinet resonances. I have the 3. Sure you don't want the heavenly bass from Scan? :D

I'm sure you'll be fine with the 2. But, hey, that's a state-of-the-art Scan Revelator. It will shake the house. Wilson Sophia uses similar Scan driver (not the paper version) in the bass. If you ask me which part of Sophia I like best, it's the bass. I know adding $1000 is quite a bit. But you're getting two Scan Revelators extending down to the 20s (plus you got to pick the veneer - that's priceless). That's cheaper than regular pricing subwoofers. This could be an one-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own a pair of Scan bass at this price point. :D

OK, you can see I'm a Scan Revelator fan. I think you'll be thrilled with the 2.

I am guessing a seperate subwoofer is what i will go with the pair of Phils. So that should work fine without the extra 1K for the 3s

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I didn't realize the Wilson Audio speakers use ScanSpeak drivers too.

The Phil's also have a physical resemblance to the Wilson's. :D

I

internova

Enthusiast
I didn't realize the Wilson Audio speakers use ScanSpeak drivers too.

The Phil's also have a physical resemblance to the Wilson's. :D
Only the bass in version 3. It uses a Focal tweeter and SB Acoustic mid-woofer for mid-range. Before version 3, the midrange is also Scan Revelator. David Wilson said they found a new mid-range that is better in every way. I am no David Wilson. So I can comfortably disagree with him without anybody noticing what I'm saying. I'd agree the SB is cost effective but there is sonic difference in the Scan (difference, not good or bad, nor predicting your personal preference).

One thing that puzzle me at first is the Sophia 3's image is above the speakers. I have to "Stand up" to get the correct image. Then I read the Stereophile review saying the optimal listening axis is above the tweeter. It's a nice speaker.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Only the bass in version 3. It uses a Focal tweeter and SB Acoustic mid-woofer for mid-range. Before version 3, the midrange is also Scan Revelator. David Wilson said they found a new mid-range that is better in every way. I am no David Wilson. So I can comfortably disagree with him without anybody noticing what I'm saying. I'd agree the SB is cost effective but there is sonic difference in the Scan (difference, not good or bad, nor predicting your personal preference).

One thing that puzzle me at first is the Sophia 3's image is above the speakers. I have to "Stand up" to get the correct image. Then I read the Stereophile review saying the optimal listening axis is above the tweeter. It's a nice speaker.

Their on-axis and off-axis frequency responses suck big time. But I've never heard them. Most people I've talked to say Wilson Audio speakers suck. And most people I know hate Stereophile reviews, except for their measurements.:eek::D

So I just don't know.:D

I

internova

Enthusiast
Their on-axis and off-axis frequency responses suck big time. But I've never heard them. Most people I've talked to say Wilson Audio speakers suck. And most people I know hate Stereophile reviews, except for their measurements.:eek::D

So I just don't know.:D
The owner won't agree for sure. I took on and off axis measurement in the room. I have to say Stereophile's measurement is very accurate on the peaks and dips. It sounds nice to me although I can pick a few faults. Then I'm walking into a "dangerous" zone.

So I just don't know either...

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Omg!! Yow!!!

Especially that last picture for some reason. Something about that Orion...

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Like Grant and I have said, YOU NEED A BIGGER ROOM :D

To add more speakers

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Omg!! Yow!!!

Especially that last picture for some reason. Something about that Orion...
Yeah, I might become a photographer just yet.................... Not.:D

They do look a lot more shiny than I remember. :D

Love high-gloss.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Like Grant and I have said, YOU NEED A BIGGER ROOM :D

...To add more speakers...
You don't know how many times I've tried to casually talk my wife into buying a bigger custom house.:D

One of these days. Just one if these days. Oh, well, I know they are not playing to their full 100% potential, but gotta take what I can for now, right? :D

I was dreaming the KEF & Salon on one side of a 25' x 35' x 15' room, and the Orion & Phil on the other side of the room (surround speakers would be in the middle sides)?

You guys would not like which speakers I might add, though.

PENG would know. :D

I

internova

Enthusiast
You don't know how many times I've tried to casually talk my wife into buying a bigger custom house.:D

One of these days. Just one if these days. Oh, well, I know they are not playing to their full 100% potential, but gotta take what I can for now, right? :D

I was dreaming the KEF & Salon on one side of a 25' x 35' x 15' room, and the Orion & Phil on the other side of the room (surround speakers would be in the middle sides)?

You guys would not like which speakers I might add, though.

PENG would know. :D
I think you need different rooms, several of them. Room is better in "Optimal" than "Bigger". Bigger doesn't mean better. (A temperary solution would be shipping your Salon2 or Orion to me and I will guarentee their pristine condition based on my "reputation" :D)

Whatever you'd add I'll promose to like them. So what are they?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think you need different rooms, several of them. Room is better in "Optimal" than "Bigger". Bigger doesn't mean better. (A temporary solution would be shipping your Salon2 or Orion to me and I will guarantee their pristine condition based on my "reputation" :D)

Whatever you'd add I'll promise to like them. So what are they?
The speakers are in the mail.:eek::D

I do love the aesthetics of the B&W 802D.

Who knows.:D

Maybe I'll join Audioholics Anonymous.:eek:_

Maybe I'll never buy anymore speakers. :D

Maybe the Phil3 are really my last pair of speakers. :D

I

internova

Enthusiast
We need to fix you with a volume compesation instant switching machine while you have all of them in a room. ;)

The speakers are in the mail.:eek::D

I do love the aesthetics of the B&W 802D.

Who knows.:D

Maybe I'll join Audioholics Anonymous.:eek:_

Maybe I'll never buy anymore speakers. :D

Maybe the Phil3 are really my last pair of speakers. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well didn't this thread crawl off and die. Guess everyone jumped ship and went to AVS :eek:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Haha I did awhile ago, hopefully Dennis will be picking them up Thursday for assembly.

Mine are on the right

There are a few pairs rolling out, one is in the mail and should be delivered late this week early next week and then a few other pairs should be heading out in the near future, mine included.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Cool! I was actually kind of wondering if you had, but I wasn't going to read this thread to find out. :eek: :D

Which version did you get?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis