Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Outlaw no longer sells their own AV receiver. It and Emotiva sell big iron amps at lower prices than many small amp makers who sell at B&M dealers. That market is a small subset of a market mostly dominated by the large AV receiver makers.
Outlaw markets their own two-channel receiver, and has plans to offer a new pre/pro(and ran into many bumps on introducing a new pre/pro in the last 5 years).

Emotiva sells amps, preamps, pre/pros, CD player, and DACS as well.

I agree with you though, the ID electronics business is much different ID speaker business. Heck, even within the ID speaker business there are a lot of differences.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I am assuming you are The 'Dennis Murphy' , its so nice to interact directly with the manufacturer at this level :) . May be i can set up an audition or listening session if you will based on your schedule in next few weeks or so . I live in Rockville , so not too far for me. I am not worried about the warranty and stuff. I just would like to see how they sound...
Hi You're probably 15 minutes from me. I'm sure we can get together. Looking forward to it.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
It was clear to me that it was in-room at the listening position. What isn't clear, unless you know from looking at the graph, is that your subs are part of the graph.
Good call - thanks. Yes, I am utilizing the dual subs with the Philharmonic 2's. If run full range the Phil's and my ST's have a narrow but deep null around 50Hz; it is room related.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't even think it's that.

I think ID speakers just strive for more accuracy (IE Ascend/Salk/Philharmonic/Soundfield/Audiokinesis etc) while B&M speakers go for instant subjective impressions (B&W, Klipsch, even Infinity) on the showroom floor. So for B&M, it's all about aesthetics and a sound character. for ID it's all about sound accuracy and measurements :D
I thought Infinity P362 is all about accuracy with on-axis and off-axis? Certainly not about aesthetics. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Outlaw markets their own two-channel receiver, and has plans to offer a new pre/pro(and ran into many bumps on introducing a new pre/pro in the last 5 years).

Emotiva sells amps, preamps, pre/pros, CD player, and DACS as well.

I agree with you though, the ID electronics business is much different ID speaker business. Heck, even within the ID speaker business there are a lot of differences.
It seems like forever ago that outlaw announced the 978.

Seems like never until the actual release of the darn thing :)

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
The Phil1 & Phil2 will be quick. The Phil3 will take much longer.:D
I've been getting a lot of orders for 2's and am starting to get backed up. The
2's are running 3-4 weeks, and the 3's 7-8 weeks. Maybe things will pick up a little once I get my freaking taxes done. I've also run into a stock-out on the midranges. I seem to have bought everyone out. I'm still waiting word on when they will be shipped to dealers. I'll try and get an update on that.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
It seems like forever ago that outlaw announced the 978.

Seems like never until the actual release of the darn thing :)
Yeah...but didn't they announce 2 pre/pros that never made it to market, and then announced the 978? Nonetheless, it has been a long while since they had their own pre/pro.

Now that I think of it, wasn't the first thing they ever sold an AVR....the 1050?

Oh well...OT now.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah...but didn't they announce 2 pre/pros that never made it to market, and then announced the 978? Nonetheless, it has been a long while since they had their own pre/pro.

Now that I think of it, wasn't the first thing they ever sold an AVR....the 1050?

Oh well...OT now.
I believe you are correct on both points. I guess they should just stick to amps and subs.

V

Venture Steve

Audiophyte
Philharmonic 2's

Awwwweeee, that will make you partial! He He!!:eek::D
Hi Woodsart,, Would you mind If I called you about your Phill's.
I am trying to make a decition on buying these speakers ASAP, and do not have the time to Message back and fourth.

Thanks,

Steve

A

anarkhia

Audiophyte
here's my first impression guys.

avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21915971#post21915971]Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 55 - AVS Forum

just add the WWW and http, it doesnt let me

I

internova

Enthusiast
here's my first impression guys.

avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21915971#post21915971]Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 55 - AVS Forum

just add the WWW and http, it doesnt let me
Congratulations on your 2. I have a Phil3 and couldn't be happier. I was luxury and lucky enough to make my decision by ABing a SS10 and Phil3 extensively (Volume compensated as SS10 is less sensitive). When it comes to Phil2 and Phil3, I couldn't let go the Scan bass signature - just gotta have it.

The SS10 has a "slightly" warmer midrange. Phil3 has a bit more resolution and detail. I'm nitpicking here. Both are fantastic speakers. Phil3 is available at an unbelievable price point. (I still couldn't believe it as of this writing)

My Phil3 cabinets do not have piano finish. Knowing what ATDG's price point for adding piano finish, I'd have wanted that too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Congratulations on your 2. I have a Phil3 and couldn't be happier. I was luxury and lucky enough to make my decision by ABing a SS10 and Phil3 extensively (Volume compensated as SS10 is less sensitive). When it comes to Phil2 and Phil3, I couldn't let go the Scan bass signature - just gotta have it.

The SS10 has a "slightly" warmer midrange. Phil3 has a bit more resolution and detail. I'm nitpicking here. Both are fantastic speakers. Phil3 is available at an unbelievable price point. (I still couldn't believe it as of this writing)

My Phil3 cabinets do not have piano finish. Knowing what ATDG's price point for adding piano finish, I'd have wanted that too.
I want to say I think the Phil3 has slightly more detail in the high frequency than my other speakers too.

S

sequest

Audiophyte
Phil-2 vs SongTowers

Hello fellas

I asked a few questions on the Philharmonic speakers and got great info on them. i was wondering how the Phil-2s compare to the SongTowers !? I understand they share a common lienage and probably have a lot of common traits. But since they both are around $2K (although Phil-2 hace RAALs) , i was wondering what do people who are familair with both these speakers have to say ? Sort of like a head to head comparison. Looks are not a huge factor for me , because looking at the pics and reviews SongTower look better...

I am looking to make a decision soon and these two are deinately on the top of my list.....

Would appreciate your inputs on these, Thanks

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Hello fellas

I asked a few questions on the Philharmonic speakers and got great info on them. i was wondering how the Phil-2s compare to the SongTowers !? I understand they share a common lienage and probably have a lot of common traits. But since they both are around $2K (although Phil-2 hace RAALs) , i was wondering what do people who are familair with both these speakers have to say ? Sort of like a head to head comparison. Looks are not a huge factor for me , because looking at the pics and reviews SongTower look better...

I am looking to make a decision soon and these two are deinately on the top of my list.....

Would appreciate your inputs on these, Thanks
Well, the Philharmonic 2s basically have the driver complement and crossover of a typical hi value 5-6K speaker at the very least.

They don't have the cabinet build quality of the Salks.

Personally, I would lean towards the Philharmonics, as the midrange should be more resolving as well as 3D, if all else were equal (which it isn't necessarily).

S

sequest

Audiophyte
Well, the Philharmonic 2s basically have the driver complement and crossover of a typical hi value 5-6K speaker at the very least.

They don't have the cabinet build quality of the Salks.

Personally, I would lean towards the Philharmonics, as the midrange should be more resolving as well as 3D, if all else were equal (which it isn't necessarily).
How does the cabinet build wquality affect the sound. What excatly fo you mean by the buid quailty , just the asthetics ? Thanks for your respone !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis