Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would expect soundstage to change based on fill (as you stated above), but does a different level have any effect whatsoever on clarity, detail, resolution?
I think the clarity, detail, resolution may change for some people with various filling and different rooms and placements.

But for me, it did not change at all.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
So we got Philharmonic speakers in the Big 12: Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas. :D

We need West Virginia, Kansas, & Iowa. :D

I think we have some Philharmonic speakers in Virginia, but that doesn't count. :D

ummmmmmm......and why not?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
As stated over in the AVS thread, I vote for an owners map :D

Because west virginia and virginia are different states, west virginia is in the Big 12, Virginia is not.

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
I would expect soundstage to change based on fill (as you stated above), but does a different level have any effect whatsoever on clarity, detail, resolution?
Oh yes, clarity does change with filling. It is easy to understand. The expression that “You can hear a pin drop” is when the background noise is so quiet that you can hear with great clarity. With more ambient noise, it is harder to hear fine details. The thing is that when you hear live music, there are always some reflected sounds coming from the performance area. I pulled out half the filling on one piece and the excitement level was greatly enhanced. It also sounded more real like I was at a live preformance.

Bob

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Thank you sir, this makes perfect sense. At first I questioned it (obvious from my question), as Dennis' mission is "to provide the most accurate loudspeakers possible at an affordable price". If this were the case, then why ship with anything but a specific fill level? Then it hit me, as I've learned over the past few years there are always compromises, and the Phil design has been masterfully created to acknowledge and accommodate for this.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Oh yes, clarity does change with filling. It is easy to understand. The expression that “You can hear a pin drop” is when the background noise is so quiet that you can hear with great clarity. With more ambient noise, it is harder to hear fine details. The thing is that when you hear live music, there are always some reflected sounds coming from the performance area. I pulled out half the filling on one piece and the excitement level was greatly enhanced. It also sounded more real like I was at a live preformance.

Bob
Hey Bob, thanks for your input, you are always helpful. I have yet to experiment with the filling, except when I first received them. At this point, I am about a third full, but with my big room, not sure that is good enough or not.

At this time, til I get another amp/DVD player, I will use them mostly for theater. More listening in 2 channel when I can connect with my PC and or get an OPPO to also be able to experience SACDs as well.

For now waiting for the center channel to finish the set-up.

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
So, Bob, you are at about half full?
If you are talking to me then I used about 1/3 stuffing for my review of my friend's Philharmonic 2s. I was close to the wall so I figure I would need more stuffing, but I put an absorbtion/diffuser pannel behind them so that brought me back to 1/3 stuffing. I use about 1/3 stuffing with my SoundScapes too.

Bob

Last edited:
J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Out of curiosity, did you find the panels behind the speakers to be necessary? Did they provide any improvement?

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
Out of curiosity, did you find the panels behind the speakers to be necessary? Did they provide any improvement?
Yes, they were a big improvement. They helped out on the base and the midrange. Being so close to the wall the reflected sound from the part of the wall that was just behind the speaker makes music sound harsh and ragged. Reflected sounds from further away make music just sound beautiful. If I was further out from the wall I don't think they would make as big an improvement.

Bob

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just make sure if you buy some, buy them from Amazon directly so you can return them if you can't tell a lick of difference. :D

Not all rooms will require the same amount of "treatments".:D

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Thanks to you both for your responses. Right now I'm just putting together a personal FAQ, I won't be considering any upgrades, enhancements or treatments until my ears and a bit of science tell me differently. I will be driving to pick up my speakers sometime around the end of this month or early May (custom finish and a Phil center take longer), until then I'm absorbing as much information from my peers as possible.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks to you both for your responses. Right now I'm just putting together a personal FAQ, I won't be considering any upgrades, enhancements or treatments until my ears and a bit of science tell me differently. I will be driving to pick up my speakers sometime around the end of this month or early May (custom finish and a Phil center take longer), until then I'm absorbing as much information from my peers as possible.
Ah-ha, so yours are one of the pairs/centers that Del mentioned when he told me he'd be starting on mine sometime this week he thinks.

Is it wrong that I jumped for joy at that news? :eek::D:p

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
The pair of Phil 2's for the SE WI GTG ship this week, likely on Thursday. Sweet!:D

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Ah-ha, so yours are one of the pairs/centers that Del mentioned when he told me he'd be starting on mine sometime this week he thinks.

Is it wrong that I jumped for joy at that news? :eek::D:p
Well, I've learned never to hurry life along, but it would be a great birthday gift if I received the pickup call before April 24. No pressure on Dennis or Del, just sayin ;)

Are you getting custom veneer as well? My three front speakers will be maple, stained to match my homemade AV furniture.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Well, I've learned never to hurry life along, but it would be a great birthday gift if I received the pickup call before April 24. No pressure on Dennis or Del, just sayin ;)

Are you getting custom veneer as well? My three front speakers will be maple, stained to match my homemade AV furniture.
I picked up a whole lotta stuff today from Del, but no maples. So I doubt whether we'll be making that April 24 date. It takes me 4-5 days to get everything together and tested after I pick up the cabinets.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
I picked up a whole lotta stuff today from Del, but no maples. So I doubt whether we'll be making that April 24 date. It takes me 4-5 days to get everything together and tested after I pick up the cabinets.
Any black centers in that group????:D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Any black centers in that group????:D
Well, if you look real hard on the left hand side, you'll see two black centers. Are either of them yours? Nooooooooooooo. Nada. No way. Of course not. Gotta go--I'm off to a seminar on building customer good will.

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis