Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Will you please stop saying how great they are? :eek: My resolve is breaking down...

:D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'll join in on this jerk session :D.

Did you ever get to listen to those Salk HT2-TLs, with the custom mesquite finish, that someone local to you has? You never spoke of it, so you probably didn't. Quit jerking around and go hear them!

There's enough similarity between the HT2-TL and any of the Philharmonics that you'll get a very good idea DM's midrange voicing of his speakers. The Phil 1 and 2 will be about equal in bass depth to the HT2-TL, the Phil 3 goes deeper. The Phil 2 & 3 and the HT2-TL share the same tweeter. And they all have the benefits of Paul Kittinger's MLTL cabinet design.

T

twylight

Audioholic Intern
I spent a few hours with some Orion 3.4s today. The 3.4s have more bottom end than 3.3s for sure. REally nice speakers...no way you are getting them built and running for less than 6k now with the DSP and recommended ATI amps. That doesnt include the time and effort to DIY.

I could identify a few pieces here or there I liked better on the phils or the orions...both need subs for movies and sub 30hz music. The instrument clarity on the phils was better than the orions. The rooms have alot more to do with it than anything else when comparing the two. I own the phil2s and the center (i dont use the center for music).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Rearranged the seating chart a little; moved Phil3 closer to rack; did not change the great sound, but showed more of the red shiny cabinets, which are so deep.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I spent a few hours with some Orion 3.4s today. The 3.4s have more bottom end than 3.3s for sure. REally nice speakers...no way you are getting them built and running for less than 6k now with the DSP and recommended ATI amps. That doesnt include the time and effort to DIY.

I could identify a few pieces here or there I liked better on the phils or the orions...both need subs for movies and sub 30hz music. The instrument clarity on the phils was better than the orions. The rooms have alot more to do with it than anything else when comparing the two. I own the phil2s and the center (i dont use the center for music).
All the Orion have variable DSP bass (& treble) setting that allows you to increase or decrease by a few dB. So unless you have the 2 pairs of Orion side by side with the same exact DSP settings and speaker placement from walls and same amps (180wpc vs 60wpc), there is no way you would know with 100% certainty IMO.:D

My Orion significantly benefited from a significant toe in that "cross" in front of me. Now, the clarity of the instruments are much improved. But I agree that the room & placement are big factors.

But overall, I'm starting to agree that perhaps the RAAL tweeter and BG Neo8 midrange do have a little more clarity and detail than the others.:D

The Phil3 does everything AT LEAST as great as the Orion, Salon2, and KEF 201/2 in terms of midrange and tweeter. Just slightly less bass than Orion & Salon.

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

I suspect the "clarity" issue is just a matter of the greater rear radiation of the Orions. There's a definite trade-off. I also suspect that the Orions will throw a larger and deeper sound stage on certain music. It's been awhile since I've heard the Orions, but I do recall that at times the sound stage depth seemed to extend to the street in front of the house. I don't think the Phils can do that.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I know what you mean.:D
I've been thinking about selling a few pairs and getting the Phil 3's.
A few pairs of what? Designer flipflops?

For $1,000 less, there is nothing wrong with the Phil 2, especially if you already have a decent subwoofer. Dennis has lots of pre-made black Phil1/2 cabinets taking up space in his house. So if black is OK, you can get them for much less cost, and with a much shorter waiting period.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A few pairs of what? Designer flipflops?

For $1,000 less, there is nothing wrong with the Phil 2, especially if you already have a decent subwoofer. Dennis has lots of pre-made black Phil1/2 cabinets taking up space in his house. So if black is OK, you can get them for much less cost, and with a much shorter waiting period.
Yeah, the Phil2 is the best deal for sure.

It will be interesting to see someone order 3 of the Phil2 for the front stage = $3K.

Or 5 of the Phil2 for $5K.

C'mon someone please do that. :D

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
:DWell, ADTG, I am impressed.....it is always good to have comparison when comparing great speakers with the phils.

And, to add to the frenzy.....they're greeeeeeeat!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This?:

I would rather have this:

Of course you would. I knew you would say that. :p

No, I heard an old pair of the RBH 1010-SEP at a local dealer's house last year. They blew me away in terms if "punchy" and "musical".

That was when I decided to sell my 190 lbs dual 14" subs/ 4 passive 14" radiators/ 2000 Watts $3,000 DefTech Trinity subwoofer.

I was going to get the 1010-SEN, but you guys changed my mind to the Rythmik, which are superb. But I still could not get that RBH audition out of my mind.

Besides, I have this fascination for passive subwoofers. Something about it. Don't know. Just do.:eek:

Also, I find the new SX-1010 very nice looking, unlike that FW and 99% of the subs out there. :D

Probably something about the 1010SE that only Gene would understand. :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Cool. How much does it cost w/ shipping?
That depends on what driver and finish you pick. I wouldn't use that TC sounds driver for use with a wimpy 300w amp as it wants about 6X that power.

Getting a high gloss red finish to match your Phils would definitely hike up costs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis