30Hz: 2.3013%
40Hz: 1.589%
50Hz: 0.681%
100Hz: 0.2236%
1kHz: 0.0877%
2.8kHz: 0.4808%
5kHz: 0.2459%
10kHz: 0.0529%
I should probably explain the higher figure at 2.8 kHz. I deliberately included that as a "worst case" for the RAAL ribbon. That's at the bottom of its operating range where it has to move the most air, which is hard for a nearly massless film of foil. For a ribbon, about .5% THD is an excellent figure in that range, and I sincerely doubt it's audible. As for the woofer readings, 1.6% at 40 hz, 90 dB is about as good as it gets. I've attached two plots--one of ADTG's Phil 3, and the other of the Phil2 with the SBAcoustics 8", both at 40 Hz. Although the %distortion doesn't show up on the plots (don't know why), you can see the lower distortion products of the Scan above the main 40 Hz stimulus.

Attachments

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I should probably explain the higher figure at 2.8 kHz. I deliberately included that as a "worst case" for the RAAL ribbon. That's at the bottom of its operating range where it has to move the most air, which is hard for a nearly massless film of foil. For a ribbon, about .5% THD is an excellent figure in that range, and I sincerely doubt it's audible. As for the woofer readings, 1.6% at 40 hz, 90 dB is about as good as it gets. I've attached two plots--one of ADTG's Phil 3, and the other of the Phil2 with the SBAcoustics 8", both at 40 Hz. Although the %distortion doesn't show up on the plots (don't know why), you can see the lower distortion products of the Scan above the main 40 Hz stimulus.
I sooooo can't wait to hear these babies in April! Are we there yet? :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
For a ribbon, about .5% THD is an excellent figure in that range, and I sincerely doubt it's audible. .
I'm sure it is audible on test tones but as with sll THD most likely masked by harmonic overtones already present in real audio content :D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I'm sure it is audible on test tones but as with sll THD most likely masked by harmonic overtones already present in real audio content :D
I think 1% is probably the threshold of audibility on test tones, but it's kind of academic given the masking effects.

T

twylight

Audioholic Intern
Ive had the phil 2s and the phil center for a few weeks now. I can answer any user questions or post pics.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Ive had the phil 2s and the phil center for a few weeks now. I can answer any user questions or post pics.

Thanks Twylight. Just so folks know, the beer is an add-on. PM me for pricing.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Does the beer come in mahogany red high-gloss finish with Mundorf caps?:eek:
Absolutely. BTW, your speaks are scheduled for pick-up tomorrow. I'll shoot some pics this afternoon. Sorry for the delay, but I tweaked the crossover to optimize the off-axis response, which was flaring up a little with your mids. I'll send you new measurements.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Absolutely. BTW, your speaks are scheduled for pick-up tomorrow. I'll shoot some pics this afternoon. Sorry for the delay, but I tweaked the crossover to optimize the off-axis response, which was flaring up a little with your mids. I'll send you new measurements.
Cool.:cool:

I will be set for life on speakers.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Guaranteed!!!!!

Is anyone reasonable, sensible and rational?:D

Only the wives!

A hobby is ongoing, continuing, depending on your means!:eek:
Well, they got purses, shoes, and diamonds too.:D

Actually my wife just likes to make money; I like spending them.:eek:

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post
Cool.

I will be set for life on speakers.

R........I.........G.........H..........T

until the next best thing comes along...

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Well, they got purses, shoes, and diamonds too.:D

Actually my wife just likes to make money; I like spending them.:eek:
LOL, nice to have a "suga mama"!!:D Guess I do too and plenty of diamonds, California nail visits, and her favorite place Chico's Ha Ha!!!,.....

but, I have to add her most favorite adventure is being a platinum member at the Hyatt!;) We like it so well, we are buying their Hyatt grand bed!:eek:

But, I must add....most importantly, she deserves every bid of it and I am glad to do it!!!:) Actually, she would not deny me anything we can afford!

Have to be truthful here!

We are blessed!

But, now I will be checking my email til I am blue in the face for Dennis to tell me the Center Speaker is ready for pick-up, but I feel that will be long while!!!:(

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, this is going to have to do for maybe a month or two. I finally got these puppies ready to ship. Out they go tomorrow at 1:00.
Unless we buy a new custom house, I don't see how on earth I can fit another speaker in my room.:D

The Phil3 will go between the Salon2 & Orion3.

T

thedude15

Audiophyte
how much would it cost to ship a pair to Los Angeles?

Guessing it would be a decent amount given the weight and distance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis