Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

M

M S

Enthusiast
Welcome, Marvin, check out post #516 for an excellent review, how did you miss that!:eek::D
I didn't miss it. That was the first comprehensive review I have seen. I will watch for more.

Better yet....have any been sold to the Chicago area where I can audition them?:)

Marv

M

M S

Enthusiast
But seriously, what is your thinking on the open back design? Lack of room for the speakers?

Although you can always fill the top cabinet with the cabinet stuffer.
Placement options in my room are limited. I am not opposed to moving them away from the rear wall for serious listening, but prefer to not have them protrude beyond the TV table / entertainment center most of the time.

My arrangement is similar to Bob's pic in post 579, with my TV on a coffee table between the R/L speakers. Will the TV block too much of the reflected sound since it is about 12" from the wall with only 12" between my present speakers and the edge of the TV?

Sorry, I can't post pics until I make 5 posts:mad:

When I get serious about making a purchase, I will email Dennis for his opinion.

Marv

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Hey thanks Bob. The picture showing the top cabinet atop the bottom was the one I wanted.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Hey M S, I think Dennis mentioned the Phillys weren't particular in their placement against the wall with the open back. Remember mentioning that to him and I am pretty sure that was his response. I was trying to locate the email, but can't find it.

He will correct me if I am wrong.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hey M S, I think Dennis mentioned the Phillys weren't particular in their placement against the wall with the open back. Remember mentioning that to him and I am pretty sure that was his response.
This is what Dennis wrote at AVS

"Well, let's see if I have a good answer. The upper module is about one foot shorter than the bass module (the back of the upper cabinet is actually sloped, so the distance varies from 10" to 13"). That means you could slam the bass cabinet smack against a wall and still leave some breathing room for the rear wave. That's not optimal, but it wouldn't be a show stopper either. You would still get some added depth and ambiance from the backwave. I have my bass cabinets about 1.5 ft from the rear wall, and that's plenty. I would also note that the termination of the transmission line is on top of the bass cabinet, so placing the rear of the cabinet against or near a wall won't choke it off or cause boominess."

M

M S

Enthusiast
Hey M S, I think Dennis mentioned the Phillys weren't particular in their placement against the wall with the open back. Remember mentioning that to him and I am pretty sure that was his response. I was trying to locate the email, but can't find it.

He will correct me if I am wrong.
This is what Dennis wrote at AVS

"Well, let's see if I have a good answer. The upper module is about one foot shorter than the bass module (the back of the upper cabinet is actually sloped, so the distance varies from 10" to 13"). That means you could slam the bass cabinet smack against a wall and still leave some breathing room for the rear wave. That's not optimal, but it wouldn't be a show stopper either. You would still get some added depth and ambiance from the backwave. I have my bass cabinets about 1.5 ft from the rear wall, and that's plenty. I would also note that the termination of the transmission line is on top of the bass cabinet, so placing the rear of the cabinet against or near a wall won't choke it off or cause boominess."
Thanks for the responses, Woody & Jim.

That port looks remarkably small for the size of the cabinet....guess I have to remember it's an 8" woofer.

I still wonder how much reflected sound will be trapped behind the TV.

I will make some measurements and see how the 2's will fit my space.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Ladies and gentlemen for tonight's heavyweight title bout, in the left corner wearing stripped trunks, Salk the SOUNDSCAPEEE 10 and in the right corner wearing solid black trunks, Dennis "PHIL HARMONIC 3" Murphyyyy. And now your referee, Bob (like Black Adder says Bob).

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
Ladies and gentlemen for tonight's heavyweight title bout, in the left corner wearing stripped trunks, Salk the SOUNDSCAPEEE 10 and in the right corner wearing solid black trunks, Dennis "PHIL HARMONIC 3" Murphyyyy. And now your referee, Bob (like Black Adder says Bob).
LOL

I am not planning to do a full comparison as I don’t think that it would be fair. There is too much of a quality/price difference to do that. As an example, I wouldn’t think comparison of the museum finish of the SoundScapes to the finish of the Twos. The Twos have a great finish for a $2k pair of speakers but not for a $12k class of speaker. It would be unfair to ding the Twos for only having an excellent finish.

I know you and others want some comparison. The SoundScapes are big boys and can take care of themselves. I will tell everything that I like better about the Twos. :)

Bob

Last edited:
woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
The Philharmonic 2s don't have pliths or spikes. Some people are putting spikes or Herbies Big Foots on them.

Bob
I understand, but I am talking about the oval silver plates that are attached to the front of the speaker.

Attachments

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
LOL

I am not planning to do a full comparison as I don’t think that it would be fair. There is too much of a quality/price difference to do that. As an example, I wouldn’t think comparison of the museum finish of the SoundScapes to the finish of the Twos. The Twos have a great finish for a $2k pair of speakers but not for a $12k class of speaker. It would be unfair to ding the Twos for only having an excellent finish.

I know you and others want some comparison. The SoundScapes are big boys and can take care of themselves. I will tell everything that I like better about the Twos. :)

Bob
Comparing the two is unfair to say the least, yet academically very intriguing. (And, it's not like the outcome will be anything unforeseen.)

I was fortunate to meet Jim Salk and experience pairs of early Soundscape prototypes at the Oregon GTG, an experience not easily forgotten. That we can even reference Phil and SS in the same conversation is a major endorsement of the Phil sound rather than a detractor of the SS.

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
I understand, but I am talking about the oval silver plates that are attached to the front of the speaker.
Oh, Dennis sent them with the speaker. I just haven't put them on yet. I need to ask my friend if he wants them on or off.

Bob

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Even if the Philharmonic speakers sounded better than the Soundscape, who would believe it?:eek:

It's impossible. Don't even think about it. You will lose.:D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Even if the Philharmonic speakers sounded better than the Soundscape, who would believe it?:eek:
The accuton is ceramic, don'tchaknow? :D

Seriously though, even if the speakers did sound very similar, a 12" AE woofer will have an edge over either of the 8" Phil woofers. There's something mean and imposing about big woofers :mad: :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The accuton is ceramic, don'tchaknow? :D

Seriously though, even if the speakers did sound very similar, a 12" AE woofer will have an edge over either of the 8" Phil woofers. There's something mean and imposing about big woofers :mad: :D
Sure...until you add 2 Funkywave 18" subwoofers to the Phil's. :eek:

But everyone already knows the mids and highs of the Soundscape will still be sweeter and more detailed because they cost $16K.:eek:

Just like how Linkwitz realized that his Orion would sound so much better when powered with $18K amps than with $1.8K amps. Why fight it? The money is out there. People will buy.:D

Last edited:
C

Calvin Hobbes

Audioholic Intern
Sure...until you add 2 Funkywave 18" subwoofers to the Phil's. :eek:

But everyone already knows the mids and highs of the Soundscape will still be sweeter and more detailed because they cost $16K.:eek:

Just like how Linkwitz realized that his Orion would sound so much better when powered with $18K amps than with $1.8K amps. Why fight it? The money is out there. People will buy.:D
All hail the Veblen effect!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
All hail the Veblen effect!
Cool. Now I can add Veblen effect to my vocabulary. :D

I think Linkwitz increased the price of the Orion because he wanted them to sound as good as the Soundscape due to the Veblen effect.:eek::D

I'm sure Dennis is familiar with the Veblen effect since he is an economist. I'm glad he is not subscribing to it. :D

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I know ones Orions/KEF/Salons setup must of taken into consideration The Veblen effect after economist Thorstein Veblen, who first pointed out the concepts of conspicuous consumption and status-seeking.

My new theory -- the Reciprocal of the Veblen Goods Effect. :eek:

Sure makes GREAT things more affordable with this theory. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis