Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
the poont shouldn't be to vary, but to make a worthwhile improvement.

Obviously the 70-20 and Scanspeak are improvements over the Fountek and sb. Dennis said the Accuton and Neo10 don't have advantages except bandwidth to his ears, and with an 8" woofer and the given ribbon tweeters, bandwidth ain't an issue either.

The 4.5" accuton makes more sense if your tweeter can play a bit lower than the 70-20's cutoff. Both it and the Neo 10 make more sense if you're trying to cross a larger 10" or 12" woofer into the mix. And the transmission line becomes a bit limiting at the spls larger woofers can belt out..........

..........And then what you've got..... is a Salk Soundscape. ;)

Else, I'm not sure why anyone would want a variation that is equally as good but costs more.

...then again I just remembered all the stupid boutique components people put in their speakers ;=_=

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
God willing, I will be picking up the Phillys (4) this weekend, EXCITED!!

However, Mom is in Houston for evaluation and possible stint, so we will see.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Hi If I thought there was a superior midrange out there, I would by all means offer it as an option. But, it's my experience that a good planar driver, if used within its intended operating range, is superior to conventional dynamic drivers. This is certainly the case for open-back operation, since the rear wave is unobstructed. Although the Accuton no doubt has more sex appeal, its only advantage over the Neo8 planar is lower bottom-end reach. That was essential for the Salk SoundScape, because the big aluminum woofer had to be crossed low (280 Hz) to suppress the ringing breakup mode sufficiently. Otherwise I would have recommended the Neo8. Jim might still have gone with the Accuton on aesthetic grounds, but the Philharmonics are not intended to be works of visual art. The pulp bass drivers in the Philharmonics can be crossed comfortably at 650 Hz, which is well within the Neo8's capabilities. If I offered the Accuton as an option, buyers would pay around $500 extra for a slightly inferior product.
Well, my thought was just that, it could offer a variations that can be equally good. So basically, as far as with the Phils,an open back design, the BG neo would work best for its applications. Cool!

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic

Obviously the 70-20 and Scanspeak are improvements over the Fountek and sb. Dennis said the Accuton and Neo10 don't have advantages except bandwidth to his ears, and with an 8" woofer and the given ribbon tweeters, bandwidth ain't an issue either.

The 4.5" accuton makes more sense if your tweeter can play a bit lower than the 70-20's cutoff. Both it and the Neo 10 make more sense if you're trying to cross a larger 10" or 12" woofer into the mix. And the transmission line becomes a bit limiting at the spls larger woofers can belt out..........

Else, I'm not sure why anyone would want a variation that is equally as good but costs more.

...then again I just remembered all the stupid boutique components people put in their speakers ;=_=
Well the accuton was just an example.
What i was thinking, as neutral as it gets, even with diffrerent drivers, the sound would be different. For example, Scanspeak drivers tend to be on the warm side while the seas Magnesium are very clean.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You have great taste and choice in gear. That's for sure. BUT I bet you spent a lot of money and time and have gone through a lot of gear to get to that level.

Considering you have or have had the best gear on the planet I can't wait to hear you opinion on the Phils.

With that avp-a1hd and ATI amps there is no question in my mind that none of your chain with bare impact on Phil judgement.

PS You must laugh at the Classe and Lexicon guys et al... ;)
Thanks.

I will certainly give my review when I get my Philharmonics.

And no, I would not laugh at the Classes, Lexicon, or any other amp guys.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Heard from Dennis and he is fine tuning the Philharmonitor 2's bass.

He also said he is 'very happy' with the Phil 2s!

And as I said earlier, if anyone is riding on the fence, it might be wise to make a decision soon as I think the wait time is getting longer:eek:

Just my assumption giving the personal touches he gives to meet all of our needs.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Bold! :eek:

Bob
Well, to be fair, the "inferior" part would really be due to the need to cross the Accuton at 2800 Hz, which is higher than it's crossed on the SoundScapes (because they use the wider RAAL ribbon element, which can be crossed lower). The Ne08 has better dispersion than the Accuton in the 2.8-3.0 k region.

S

Solid-State

Banned
Thanks.

I will certainly give my review when I get my Philharmonics.

And no, I would not laugh at the Classes, Lexicon, or any other amp guys.
Sorry I didn't meant "laugh" as in at...

That's not the right vibe...

I mean "feel sorry" for? LOL

uhh it's great to see people share the facts about ATI product. They can be hard to source but I can't think of a better differential solid-state amp for the price less Bryston.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
To each his own. :D

I would like Stereophile, Soundstage, Home Theater Magazine, Sound & Vision Magazine, and 2 other publications to review the Soundscape and proclaim they are better than the Salon2. Then I'll believe.

The Soundscape hasn't even been reviewed or measured by any 3rd parties like Soundstage NRC or Stereophile.

So to say that it sounds better than anything out there, including the Salon or Orion or KEF Reference, just simply doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Not much proof there. It would be difficult to convince a jury. :eek::D

Oh, and including shipping and full authorized manufacturer warranty, I paid $14,000.

I've said this a few times before, but the looks of the Soundscape reminds me of the B&W 802D, except the Soundscape is squared, & the 802D is rounded.The SS reminds me of a choo-choo train.:eek::D

Now if the Soundscape could look exactly like the B&W 800D, which I could get for $16K, then you would see it in my room.:D
I admit guys, the SoundScapes are ugly; there, I said it.:) However, I've heard them, and they are better sounding than the Salon2; just my opinion, of course. Sure, I'd love third party measurements of them (and every other speaker), but they don't exist so I'll just use my ears on this one. And ADTG, I never said they were "better than everything else out there;" just better than the Revel's and Orion's that I heard. If you recall, the SoundScapes are my number 3 best speakers, right below the Vandersteen's and the Dynaudio's. Also, I've never heard the Kef's, remember?:)

Hi If I thought there was a superior midrange out there, I would by all means offer it as an option. But, it's my experience that a good planar driver, if used within its intended operating range, is superior to conventional dynamic drivers. This is certainly the case for open-back operation, since the rear wave is unobstructed. Although the Accuton no doubt has more sex appeal, its only advantage over the Neo8 planar is lower bottom-end reach. That was essential for the Salk SoundScape, because the big aluminum woofer had to be crossed low (280 Hz) to suppress the ringing breakup mode sufficiently. Otherwise I would have recommended the Neo8. Jim might still have gone with the Accuton on aesthetic grounds, but the Philharmonics are not intended to be works of visual art. The pulp bass drivers in the Philharmonics can be crossed comfortably at 650 Hz, which is well within the Neo8's capabilities. If I offered the Accuton as an option, buyers would pay around $500 extra for a slightly inferior product.
And there you have it folks: straight from the designer's mouth. 'Nuff said (as he does the Aaron Rogers title belt motion).

God willing, I will be picking up the Phillys (4) this weekend, EXCITED!!

However, Mom is in Houston for evaluation and possible stint, so we will see.
Blessings and prayers going out to your mom!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

It's call the Veblen effect.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, my thought was just that, it could offer a variations that can be equally good.
But Dennis says the Accuton would be INFERIOR in this particular case. Not even equal, but inferior!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry I didn't meant "laugh" as in at...
That's not the right vibe...
I mean "feel sorry" for? LOL

uhh it's great to see people share the facts about ATI product. They can be hard to source but I can't think of a better differential solid-state amp for the price less Bryston.
Gotcha. :D

Home Theater Magazine asked Kevin Voecks to pick an amplifier from their selection when they were reviewing the Salon2.

I thought it was funny when he selected the ATI amp.:D

But different strokes for different folks, and to each his own. If people want to buy the Lexicon or Mark Levinson because they are damn rich:D, then that's cool.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis