Aperion Audio Verus Grand Loudspeaker System Reviewed

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
There is nothing wrong at all with being flatter through the midrange; that's how they should measure. I'm confused why the Salk's didn't measure that way, which is why I asked if the room changed or perhaps the measurements technique or gear. I've measured Salk speakers a few times just myself, and they don't sag like that, even in my own room at 3 meters without gating the response. In short, I can see why they scored a 4/5 while the VGT scored higher. This doesn't line up with what I've heard, so I was curious.

I agree that the dropout at 175 is floor bounce; definitely room related.

Good choice! For the money they are pretty sweet. They are way better than Axiom's stuff, that's for sure. :) I'm still loving what Ascend (the new Tower) and Salk offer in the price range, though. They are still my top two...for now. :) Once I hear the Philharmonic 2's that could all change, though (I suspect it definitely will).
I don't think the Ascend Tower enclosure can compete with the Aperion Curvilinear High Gloss Cherry design, not to me. :):D

Now, that is only on the Aesthetic side of the coin, has anyone heard both of them?

I want to pay more for the Sound Quality and less for the looks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Geez, the Bookshelf is far from the Grand Tower in number of drivers, enclosure design and volume, porting, Xovers, plus the Grand Towers are using a MTM design with dual woofers (6").

Apples vs. Oranges, and so should the measurements be, so far as we know they are. ;)
You mean Aperions vs Oranges?:D

Yeah, it could be that the Towers measure better than the bookshelf.

Perhaps I'm not being fair by trying to compare the Aperion against the PSB Synchrony 1 or Philharmonic 3, etc.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Good choice! For the money they are pretty sweet. They are way better than Axiom's stuff, that's for sure. :) I'm still loving what Ascend (the new Tower) and Salk offer in the price range, though. They are still my top two...for now. :) Once I hear the Philharmonic 2's that could all change, though (I suspect it definitely will).
One thing with the Ascend tower is a four driver configuration, not a true MTM w/ dual woofs like the Aperion, right?

Also, the Aperion VGT has Dual Terminus Ports, vs. only one on the Ascend. And a lot of differences in aesthetics of the two enclosures.

For whatever reason, I like the full Aperion VGT MTM D'Appolito design w/ the Dual 6" woofers, and certainly the curvilinear encl. design, and with the High Gloss Multi Coat Cherry Finish -- looks super Classy. The Ascend is about $600 more with the RAAL ribbon tweeter vs. the VGT also.

Noticed also, the Ascend Towers show All the Driver Screws, and those are NOT Showing on the VGT's.

Last edited:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
You mean Aperions vs Oranges?:D

Yeah, it could be that the Towers measure better than the bookshelf.

Perhaps I'm not being fair by trying to compare the Aperion against the PSB Synchrony 1 or Philharmonic 3, etc.
I think you mean Aprons vs. Orangutangs... :)

Your fair, but please do not compare the Sync 1's vs. the VGT's... way different price points of a few thousand dollars, even up to the Phil 3's with Cherry are up in the High 3's.. vs. VGT's w/ Cherry at $1.8K. :);)

Remember, the VGT's have Five Drivers only ONE short of your Revel Salon 2's, does that mean it is 5/6ths as good? :eek::)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I don't think the Ascend Tower enclosure can compete with the Aperion Curvilinear High Gloss Cherry design, not to me. :):D

Now, that is only on the Aesthetic side of the coin, has anyone heard both of them?

I want to pay more for the Sound Quality and less for the looks.
Yes sir, I have heard them both. As I mentioned, I did prefer the Ascends, but I heard a pre-production model with the dome tweeters. The production model is supposed to be better, and they now offer the RAAL (the standard comes with a dome, though). I'll finally get to hear the RAAL Ascend Tower in a couple weeks. We'll be comparing it to my SongTower RT's (LCY ribbon - wish it had the RAAL).

I think you mean Aprons vs. Orangutangs... :)

Your fair, but please do not compare the Sync 1's vs. the VGT's... way different price points of a few thousand dollars, even up to the Phil 3's with Cherry are up in the High 3's.. vs. VGT's w/ Cherry at $1.8K. :);)

Remember, the VGT's have Five Drivers only ONE short of your Revel Salon 2's, does that mean it is 5/6ths as good? :eek::)
I think the Ascend is considered a 3.5 way??? I completely understand aesthetics, though. They play an important role in our final purchasing decision. I will say that the Ascends and Salk's have the upper hand for sound quality, though. Of course, YMMV, so listen to all of them if you can. Now with all that said, I'm considering ordering a pair of Philharmonic 2's if the timing is right. Based on measurements that speaker might best all of the ones mentioned. I just wonder how they'll perform in a room only 12 feet wide (mine).

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
One thing with the Ascend tower is a four driver configuration, not a true MTM w/ dual woofs like the Aperion, right?

Also, the Aperion VGT has Dual Terminus Ports, vs. only one on the Ascend. And a lot of differences in aesthetics of the two enclosures.

For whatever reason, I like the full Aperion VGT MTM D'Appolito design w/ the Dual 6" woofers, and certainly the curvilinear encl. design, and with the High Gloss Multi Coat Cherry Finish -- looks super Classy. The Ascend is about $600 more with the RAAL ribbon tweeter vs. the VGT also.

Noticed also, the Ascend Towers show All the Driver Screws, and those are NOT Showing on the VGT's.
Totally different reasons for the MTM and Ascend's configuration. The Sierra Tower drivers/crossover is designed to act as a point source (ala coaxial), where as the MTM is to limit vertical dispersion.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Yes sir, I have heard them both. As I mentioned, I did prefer the Ascends, but I heard a pre-production model with the dome tweeters. The production model is supposed to be better, and they now offer the RAAL (the standard comes with a dome, though). I'll finally get to hear the RAAL Ascend Tower in a couple weeks. We'll be comparing it to my SongTower RT's (LCY ribbon - wish it had the RAAL).

I think the Ascend is considered a 3.5 way??? I completely understand aesthetics, though. They play an important role in our final purchasing decision. I will say that the Ascends and Salk's have the upper hand for sound quality, though. Of course, YMMV, so listen to all of them if you can. Now with all that said, I'm considering ordering a pair of Philharmonic 2's if the timing is right. Based on measurements that speaker might best all of the ones mentioned. I just wonder how they'll perform in a room only 12 feet wide (mine).
Brandon,

After looking over your writeup on Your Journey -- I was wondering why you never considered the Aperion Verus Grand Towers?

Was it because of the fact that the VGT's were not available back then?

Have you heard the VGT's there, and compared them to the dome tweeter Ascends, and the Salk ST's which you own?

I do know the Salk ST's are a fabulous speaker, and I hear the HT2-TL's are even better, but then again for more $$.

For your Phil 2's in that narrow of a room, I would look for some acoustic panels to minimize any wall reflections, if you don't already own some panels and bass traps.

DM certainly knows his stuff, and I would love to see some more reviews on his 2's and 3's. When ADTG gets his 3's that might be the first writeup -- being ok - good - or great - or UNREAL !!

Cheers,
Den

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Brandon,

After looking over your writeup on Your Journey -- I was wondering why you never considered the Aperion Verus Grand Towers?

Was it because of the fact that the VGT's were not available back then?

Have you heard the VGT's there, and compared them to the dome tweeter Ascends, and the Salk ST's which you own?

I do know the Salk ST's are a fabulous speaker, and I hear the HT2-TL's are even better, but then again for more $$.

For your Phil 2's in that narrow of a room, I would look for some acoustic panels to minimize any wall reflections, if you don't already own some panels and bass traps.

DM certainly knows his stuff, and I would love to see some more reviews on his 2's and 3's. When ADTG gets his 3's that might be the first writeup -- being ok - good - or great - or UNREAL !!

Cheers,
Den
Den,

I certainly would have considered the Versus Grand if they were available at the time of my "journey." My speaker thread/search is rather dated now I suppose. Since that thread I've heard dozens more speakers and become a lot more educated on the subject matter. I've also become humbled by the whole experience, not to mention overwhelmed. I now realize there is no perfect speaker, only ones of who's flaws we as individuals can live with. I've also learned the room is probably more important than the speaker itself.

I do have room treatments, yes, though I could probably use a few more. The bass traps will be installed before Christmas (corner traps from GIK), and I'll probably put up two more 4" thick 2x4 panels on the side walls (directly next to each speaker); already have 4" thick panels at the first reflection points.

While I've heard the Aperion's, Salk's and Ascend Tower's, I've not heard them all together on the same day or in the same room. That was the case with the Salk's and Ascend's, though (we had a shootout, if you will). To summarize, and this is just my opinion based on my tastes: The Salk's and Ascend's just performed better with low level details and absolute resolution. They sounded more balanced and had better instrument timbre, though that's not to say the Aperion's were poor at all in this department. Those qualities are just very important to me (especially tonality). Like I said earlier, though, no speaker is perfect, and we just need to find the one who's flaws we can live with. Right now that is the SongTower RT's for me. That may change tomorrow, or maybe never, who knows? I am still trying to find that ultimate value in audio, mostly because the "journey" is part of the fun. :) According to my personal tastes, which is completely subjective, the Salk's haven't been beaten yet. It helps that they measure well too! :D

On the topic of measurements, I sure would love to see a handful of speakers measured by the NRC, Salk and Ascend included.

Last edited:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Certainly far from being all inclusive it is a starting point.

(2011) Stereo Loudspeakers Up to $4999

Take Notice here: Aperion Verus Grand Towers

The gist: The new speaker-to-get-under-$2000 CLASS LEADER.

Last edited by a moderator:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Last week he liked KEFs.
Well, before I answer your Q, what do you own there? :)

What speaker do you like for front mains ?? -- when I ask you questions you never reply to my questions, you only just ask more questions, and never answer, what gives there?

On AH that we all love, we share info. with one another to enhance ones own Audio experience of what others know and have learned by sharing information, and this our Hobby here.

So, still waiting on your Answers. :D

P.S.: You could get around my questions if you had your equipment listed in your footnote signature! Not difficult to do either, and if you have No Equipment there, just put "NONE at Present".

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Totally different reasons for the MTM and Ascend's configuration. The Sierra Tower drivers/crossover is designed to act as a point source (ala coaxial), where as the MTM is to limit vertical dispersion.
Do you work for Ascend Acoustics?

The not so funny thing about Ascend's web site is you have to belong to the forum to get information on their Product line for Towers, why is that?

What do you like this week?

Last edited:
C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Do you work for Ascend Acoustics?

The not so funny thing about Ascend's web site is you have to belong to the forum to get information on their Product line for Towers, why is that?

What do you like this week?
Nope, but do help moderate their forum.

Not sure why it is funny or not...the info is available and free for all. If you are afraid of logging in, maybe you have something to hide. My understanding is the info will be available on the main website when it gets updated....as is it for all the other speakers.

What do I like this week? The same stuff I liked and heard in the past 5 or 6 years. My favorite being the TAD Ref one. I don't spout the virtues of speakers I haven't heard.

Last edited:
C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Well, before I answer your Q, what do you own there? :)

What speaker do you like for front mains ?? -- when I ask you questions you never reply to my questions, you only just ask more questions, and never answer, what gives there?

On AH that we all love, we share info. with one another to enhance ones own Audio experience of what others know and have learned by sharing information, and this our Hobby here.

So, still waiting on your Answers. :D

P.S.: You could get around my questions if you had your equipment listed in your footnote signature! Not difficult to do either, and if you have No Equipment there, just put "NONE at Present".
First, lets point out that there have been questions that you haven't answered. Please point out where I have not answered your questions, and I will do the same with questions I have asked of you. Fair?

For instance, do you understand what the MTM configuration is suppose to do? From way back, do you understand what a phase plug is for?

I use Sierra-1's as my mains...powered by IcePower based amps.

What correct technical information have you shared?

I'll update my sig for you this evening.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
First, lets point out that there have been questions that you haven't answered. Please point out where I have not answered your questions.

I use Sierra-1's as my mains...powered by IcePower based amps.

What correct technical information have you shared?
It is Synergism that builds a better Loudspeaker, and Verus, and Veracity! :)

and that is Totally CORRECT Technical Information for your info.

Suggestion: You might want to look those up in so that you can see it is Correct!

Don't update it for me, do it for all Hobbists and/or 'Ultimate Audiophiles' on AH, as I am certain all others look at ones Equipment listing if sourced.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
It is Synergism that builds a better Loudspeaker, and Verus, and Veracity! :)

and that is Totally CORRECT Technical Information for your info.

Suggestion: You might want to look those up in so that you can see it is Correct!
What "synergism, verus, and veracity"? How do you qualify or quantify any of them versus any other speaker? Please describe them "technically".

And don't forget to answer these questions:

do you understand what the MTM configuration is suppose to do?
From way back, do you understand what a phase plug is for?
More recently, have you gotten those measurements from Aperion for the Verus Grande?

Don't update it for me, do it for all Hobbists and/or 'Ultimate Audiophiles' on AH, as I am certain all others look at ones Equipment listing if sourced.
Nobody else has asked.

Last edited:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
What "synergism, verus, and veracity"? How do you qualify or quantify any of them versus any other speaker? Please describe them "technically".

That is why there are hundreds of Mfg's. out there.

And don't forget to answer these questions:

do you understand what the MTM configuration is suppose to do? YES.
From way back, do you understand what a phase plug is for? YES.
More recently, have you gotten those measurements from Aperion fo the Verus Grande? -- It is Verus Grand -- You will have to ask APERION to get your answers. Give them a call and ask them, they should be able to give you your answers.
embedded w/in. your Quote, as I am to busy today to call them -- maybe next week I might be able to spare some time to call them, I am sure they can answer your questions especially if you tell them your an Ascend Fanboy. There phone number is 1-888-880-8992, toll free also!

How does Tom's plot look??

Verus_Tower_meas001.jpg Full Screen Image — Reviews and News from Audioholics

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Verus Bookshelf is a speaker I will definitely try at some point... just haven't gotten there yet. Every time an open box pair pops up at Aperion (which isn't often)... I get that itch to buy them... but I've held off so far...:D

They're more expensive than my Energy RC-10's ("street price"), and don't measure appreciably better (I'd even argue a little worse in some aspects), other than a bit less pronounced roll-off in the upper mids/low treble as you get out to 45 degrees and beyond... but I'm interested in comparing the two nonetheless.
Due to the Vann's killer price on the V-5.1 - I almost bought.
However, I suspect that some former Klipsch engineers, have
voiced it, some-what north of neutral.

From the looks of things - the Verus Grand is a winner - the
proof will always be in the hearing.

Last edited:
C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
embedded w/in. your Quote, as I am to busy today to call them -- maybe next week I might be able to spare some time to call them, I am sure they can answer your questions especially if you tell them your an Ascend Fanboy. There phone number is 1-888-880-8992, toll free also!
OK...so you can not technically quantify or qualify the terms, but you call them technically correct?

I am not the one that asked for them...you claimed you Aperion for them yesterday. So I am assuming you didn't get them.

They know very well who I am. They even sent me a speaker once to evaluate.

For not having enough time, you sure have made a lot of posts today. Also had enough time to ask for measurements for them over at AVS as well. :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis