Paradigm Monitor SUB 12 Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The new Monitor SUBs from Paradigm, headed up by the SUB 12, look to provide impressive performance for the money. For $999 you can get the 12" SUB 12 with a 16Hz low point. For $849 you can get the 10" SUB 10 with a low point of 17Hz or for $699 the SUB 8 with a 19Hz low point. All of these sound like great values. You'll have to give up speaker level inputs and custom finishes but, and we reiterate, UNDER 20HZ performance! That's an incredible value for the money. We can't wait to get one of these on our test bench to verify their performance claims.

Discuss "Paradigm Monitor SUB 12 Preview" here. Read the article.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Can't wait for a full fledge review to see how well it measures up to its advertised specs

K

khoncrete

Audiophyte

The DSP 3200 from Paradigm is rated down to 22hz by Paradigm but measurments show a -3db at 32hz, I wouldnt exect anything different from this line of subs.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The DSP 3200 from Paradigm is rated down to 22hz by Paradigm but measurments show a -3db at 32hz, I wouldnt exect anything different from this line of subs.
A tweeter has extension down to 16Hz too. What matters is what SPL it can reproduce at those frequencies. Everyone is on the extension race but the reality is you can't change the laws of physics (yet). What matters most is if these subs behave well under heavy stress and they have a gentle of enough slope below their -3dB point to take advantage of room gain.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
If I would have to take a guess I would say they will have similar performance to Emotivas subs. 30-35hrz extension at best. Or similar to RBHs sub that was tested recently. If you want true hometheater type extension look else where if you want a decent music type sub that matches your mains the Para will be perfect if not a little pricey.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sealed or vented? If they get down that low, I'm going to wager they don't do it with a lot of authority.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Sealed or vented? If they get down that low, I'm going to wager they don't do it with a lot of authority.
Looks sealed to me. Especially when you consider the enclosure size.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks sealed to me. Especially when you consider the enclosure size.
Yep, looks sealed to me too, but was curious.

We all complain about price, but in reality these companies have the markup that goes along with big business. So if they were to build to the price point we want, the subs would probably be junk. So I do understand how that happens, but on the other side of that coin, we also know that it can be done and because there are excellent subs out there that offer better value vs performance from ID offerings, it is hard to justify that kind of cash.

X

xWARHOUNDx

Audiophyte
I had a Paradigm sub once...music sounded horrible. I went to SVS and never looked back. Hopefully things have changed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis