sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Why is it always done in heat? You'd think we'd be smart enough to plan construction in the spring, but it's just so pretty outside that we simply must wait until it is hot. :D My wife hid my flush trim bit. But I am going to be my speakers done. You're thread has inspired me. :D
Some like it hot so lets turn up the heat till we fry, This DIY has inspired people to renovate their home and build garages, lol :D
I'm gonna clean out the garage today since the temp has dropped 8 degrees :eek:
Humdidity doo doo is still at 97 % :(

I might find enough wood to build something in there.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Some like it hot so lets turn up the heat till we fry, This DIY has inspired people to renovate their home and build garages, lol :D
I'm gonna clean out the garage today since the temp has dropped 8 degrees :eek:
Humdidity doo doo is still at 97 % :(
It's so hot I hear stuff melting in my car.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Why is it always done in heat? You'd think we'd be smart enough to plan construction in the spring, but it's just so pretty outside that we simply must wait until it is hot. :D My wife hid my flush trim bit. But I am going to be my speakers done. You're thread has inspired me. :D
Actually it was too cold and humid to paint and varnish a couple of weeks ago but since you live in TX you just have to deal with it. Your wife hid your bit ?!? You probably needed a better one anyway.

My router experience is limited to Formica and drywall for the most part so I went peeking around HTS for a bit recommendation and found that I should get a double fluted up spiral 1/4" bit. Home Depot didn't carry the Freud but the Diablo they had worked great and it was in the same $20 range. Eddie has a cheap 5 piece set of flush cut bits from some crap mail order deal or Harbor Freight ... what garbage. I should have made those cuts with a dull rock and a broken beer bottle. Seriously the bits were new and the screw that holds the bearing on came out and the bearing came off and the router went into the wood on my first use of it. On my second use of it the bit gouged out a piece of wood on the Mahogany face covering the port mouth forcing me to go through the hassle of installing a Dutchman.

When I was done with the subs and loading them into the truck Eddie's good neighbor of The Spandex came over for a look see. He knew of my paint woe's and asked if I was happy with the final result. I pointed out some flaws and told him that everything I had done to them I could have done better. Still it was more important to me to keep the ball rolling and get them playing in Mantown than to be polishing them like they were the Hope Diamond. He asked if if I would have done anything different build and design wise. I mentioned that I was undecided about the way I attached the larger base to the enclosure. I could have kept it the same size and covered the joint with the Mahogany cladding but I was undecided on that as little steps like that add the complexity of detail in a subtle manner. To me flush flush conditions are sure fire fails ... but it would have been covered by the cladding.

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is encourage you to move forward.
Dribble for a while and then shoot! If you take enough shots from half court one will eventually go in. Somebody once said of pancakes that the first one never works out and is destined for the garbage like marriages. I think the same applies to speaker builds. I'm not quite ready to ditch these but I see what is possible now. Still, I'm sitting here typing this listening to Sultans of Swing @ ~ 72 db. The bass line is incredibly sweet and it's coming out of these ridiculously large subs. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Still, I'm sitting here typing this listening to Sultans of Swing @ ~ 72 db. The bass line is incredibly sweet and it's coming out of these ridiculously large subs.
Reset your point of reference. Those subs are compact! Now enjoy them.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Reset your point of reference. Those subs are compact! Now enjoy them.
I think maybe you might be misunderstanding the vernacular of the formerly hip yet still tragically cool. I'm kind of proud of their size. I don't want you to think I'm complaining about any part of this.

BTW it's just like you said about the work. It's nothing in the rear view mirror.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Still, I'm sitting here typing this listening to Sultans of Swing @ ~ 72 db. The bass line is incredibly sweet and it's coming out of these ridiculously large subs. :)

and I thought you wanted your MTV...;):rolleyes::p

How many times have you played track number two from BIA on the new subs already anyhow?:)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think maybe you might be misunderstanding the vernacular of the formerly hip yet still tragically cool.
Never mind about the vernacular of the "formerly hip yet still tragically cool."
I have enough trouble with the non hip and cool American vernacular.

I do think the British vernacular is a lot more expressive and people in Min Dak land have always found it pretty funny.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
and I thought you wanted your MTV...;):rolleyes::p

How many times have you played track number two from BIA on the new subs already anyhow?:)
Maybe 3 or 4 times. Track 1 is oddly bass heavy. I did that a few times too but not to listen to the music. It's more about listening to the gear with the aid of the recordings.

This is unlike anything I've heard to date except for maybe the way bass sounds out of a B&W 804 I heard down in Texas w/ Greg.

I gotta run. Chery beckons.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I do think the British vernacular is a lot more expressive and people in Min Dak land have always found it pretty funny.
Had to look that up. Minnesota and Dakota. I'm glad you've made a home there. I'm still carving out a niche for myself in New England. Once up in Boston I had this Indian man with a Brit accent accuse me of having the manners of a gutter snipe. That really was beautiful. He demanded that I have some construction vehicle moved because it was blocking his car from being able to leave it's parking spot. I asked him if he had any money. He said yes. I said, "well give it to me and I'll do whatever you want". He was bulls***. :D

Point taken about the British vernacular. Nobody else on my crew had an inkling what gutter snipe meant nor could they remember that he didn't call me a gutter snipe but rather had simply accused me of having the manners of one. That was classic. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe 3 or 4 times. Track 1 is oddly bass heavy. I did that a few times too but not to listen to the music. It's more about listening to the gear with the aid of the recordings.

This is unlike anything I've heard to date except for maybe the way bass sounds out of a B&W 804 I heard down in Texas w/ Greg.

I gotta run. Chery beckons.
Must be a typo.... ok ... 30 or 40. That sound more like it.:p

I'm glad they make a good sound and look good doing it.:cool:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Just a quick note about how well received these subs and system as a whole was with my brother in law and 17 year old niece. She had never seen a working turntable before and had probably never heard real Blues. Actually my 6 year old nephew seemed particularly fascinated by the TT ... well, for about 15 seconds anyway.

In short: John Lee Hooker, some U-tube pop, Britney Spears, Vivaldi and Phantom of the Opera let the system and subs show off a bit. I was happy to have the audience and they were happy to get to hear the system. The key to an appreciative audience is letting them hear music that they like. It helped that they listened in shifts. The Vivaldi was really just a demonstration of how good vinyl can sound and that should make 3db happy. See? Something for everyone. :)

zrtmatos

zrtmatos

Audioholic Intern
What an awesome writeup. My hats off to you sir on an excellent job building these subs! And the picture documentation was exemploray.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Wow another walk down memory lane here. This build of yours was epic. I looked over everything and one part I missed and would like to know some more about, wiring of the driver, how did you attach wire to driver and then wire to interior side of posts and then the connectors you installed on the wires at the exterior sub connection, I am curious as I don't like to solder so much.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow another walk down memory lane here. This build of yours was epic. I looked over everything and one part I missed and would like to know some more about, wiring of the driver, how did you attach wire to driver and then wire to interior side of posts and then the connectors you installed on the wires at the exterior sub connection, I am curious as I don't like to solder so much.
I made up these weird binding posts and I can't really remember how. It was with maybe 7/16" inserts that allowed for a 10/32 screw. I should have ordered regular binding posts.

The driver I either used BJC locking bananas or crimp connectors to tighten down with the nut on the binding post. I tried soldering but the screws were stainless and that turned out not to work so good. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis