Your favorite demo material....theater and 2 channel

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
And....it's outa here. I thought this thread was supposed to be about favorite audio tracks? :rolleyes: :confused: :p

Thanks, I'll be here all week. And the obscenities will be too ****** ****** :D
It still is! We've just expanded it into how some demos work on different types of gear!

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
DVDs
U571
the creaks and rivots popping as she dives below her safetey limit) and the barrage of depth charges.
Good call. I forgot about this one. It's excellent.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Also have to add the "Darla" scene from Finding Nemo. I have amazed a few friends with this one delivered via my Ultra. You can feel the pressure in the room. Its what I used to isolate rattles when I first got the Ultra. It best to mute the sound first {it goes directly into the scene}, then back track a minute or so while you adjust the sound level. Sit back and enjoy. :eek:

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Also have to add the "Darla" scene from Finding Nemo. I have amazed a few friends with this one delivered via my Ultra. You can feel the pressure in the room. Its what I used to isolate rattles when I first got the Ultra. It best to mute the sound first {it goes directly into the scene}, then back track a minute or so while you adjust the sound level. Sit back and enjoy. :eek:

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Movies: "Hero" Jet Li (blueroom sceene)
"Pearl Harbor"

Music: Brothers in Arms
Janis Ian "Breaking Silence"

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You still use DVDs to demo? :p

For shock value:
War of the Worlds BD
Master & Commander BD
Iron Man 2 BD

Surround:
House of Flying Daggers BD
Scott Pilgrim Vs the World BD
Up BD

2ch:
Jazz at the Pawnshop CD
Patricia Barber - Companion or Cafe Blue SACDs
Dave Brubeck Concord on a Midsummer Night SACD
All of the Porcupine Tree DVD-As hirez stereo tracks

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You still use DVDs to demo? :p

For shock value:
War of the Worlds BD
Master & Commander BD
Iron Man 2 BD

Surround:
House of Flying Daggers BD
Scott Pilgrim Vs the World BD
Up BD

2ch:
Jazz at the Pawnshop CD
Patricia Barber - Companion or Cafe Blue SACDs
Dave Brubeck Concord on a Midsummer Night SACD
All of the Porcupine Tree DVD-As hirez stereo tracks
I didn't think you were playing this game....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
we could just have the mods combine all of our threads into one...I can dig up the first 10.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have a folder named "test tracks" on my music server for 2 channel. It consists of:

F-Stop blues- Jack Johnson
Stop Six_-Joseph Vincelli
Slam_ David Sanbourn
Far and Wide- Ray Monford
Big Sky- Ray Monford
Sexy Plexi- Jack Johnson
Boom Boom Pow- Black Eyed Peas

For all other demo's:

UB571- DEPTH CHARGE scene
Ratatouille- Lightening scene
Iron Man- suit fire up

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
OR, since people are basically saying they still use the SAME DEMOS from 3 years ago....we shouldn't have to :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: While you're at it, try digging up every recommendation thread. And every similar technical support thread. And every "Hi, I'm new, let me introduce myself" thread. We'll combine them all into thread categories and we can dig through hundreds of posts and different conversations. Sounds just plain exciting.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
:rolleyes: While you're at it, try digging up every recommendation thread. And every similar technical support thread. And every "Hi, I'm new, let me introduce myself" thread. We'll combine them all into thread categories and we can dig through hundreds of posts and different conversations. Sounds just plain exciting.
I was just giving him ****. You don't need to get bent out of shape over it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Funny you should mention this one....

So, a little over 2 years ago we did a home show. I was setting everything up before it opened and I was downstairs in this house with the builder. I put on Ratatouille for testing, which I hadn't seen before. We were using a new in-wall sub system that had two dual 8's with a big amp. Well, the lightning scene hit right in the begining and scared the &*@% out of us. The builder was like "DAMN!!!!!! That was lifelike! I thought we blew up!". We were both startled. I played it off like, "Yeah, that's how we build em'.". But really I was thinking... "Hmmm, a little too lifelike". Well, the amp was up so loud it blew into protect mode and shut off. The loud snap/pop (and believe me, it sounded like a gunshot from the other room) was amazing. I reset the amp, turned that thing down and thanked goodness that it wasn't dead!

:eek::D
I worked for a local place that signed on with a company called Frox in '94. Frox were ahead of the curve, for sure. All sources sent digital audio to the preamp, which did all switching and processing/EQ in the digital domain, then sent digital audio to the 7.2 power amp, where it went through the internal DAC before the output stage. We set it up with Canton Carat speakers, using two Canton subs. The projector was a big Sony that used VGA input and the system was controlled by a wand that had a round base, used RF and was designed to be completely ambidextrous. I walked into the demo room where I found one of the service techs sitting in a chair, oblivious to the fact that anyone else was there. We were using Terminator 2 for demo/setup and since there was no background noise, he turned it up to what he thought was an appropriate level during the post-battle scene at the playground, with the skulls. Suddenly, Terminator's foot stomped on the skulls, with an ear-shattering crunch and rumble. He must have jumped a foot in the air and I thought he was going to mess himself.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
I worked for a local place that signed on with a company called Frox in '94. Frox were ahead of the curve, for sure. All sources sent digital audio to the preamp, which did all switching and processing/EQ in the digital domain, then sent digital audio to the 7.2 power amp, where it went through the internal DAC before the output stage. We set it up with Canton Carat speakers, using two Canton subs. The projector was a big Sony that used VGA input and the system was controlled by a wand that had a round base, used RF and was designed to be completely ambidextrous. I walked into the demo room where I found one of the service techs sitting in a chair, oblivious to the fact that anyone else was there. We were using Terminator 2 for demo/setup and since there was no background noise, he turned it up to what he thought was an appropriate level during the post-battle scene at the playground, with the skulls. Suddenly, Terminator's foot stomped on the skulls, with an ear-shattering crunch and rumble. He must have jumped a foot in the air and I thought he was going to mess himself.
LOL! The best part about that story is that by then EVERYONE had seen that movie, so he had to have known the stomp was coming... and it still scared him. That movie is a sweet demo piece as well. I love the scene with the sirens when the SkyNet machines come sweeping down. But, yeah, that crunching skull is just so clean and forceful. Plus, it's the only sound so it's really captivating.

I remember doing KingKong on a system where we used just one of the older Jamo D series THX Ultra 15" subwoofers. My client's kid (about 8 at the time) turned to his dad and had to yell, with glee, "I can feel it in my tummy!". My client just looked over at me an mouthed "Holy $#%&". That's when I knew I did a good job.

Conversely, when I first started I was by myself and was doing any type of install for money. Guardian Security installed some entry level Klipsch crap in a dedicated media room. All speakers were installed and the guy just needed a 50" plasma hung and a $500 Onkyo set up. After I was all done we did a demo and he looks at me and says, "Is that it?". I was like... "Yep!".

I didn't design the system or sell him any equipment, but I made a promise to myself that I would never sell or design something where the end user was anything but saying "Holy $^@#!". At least, comparatively speaking for their budget.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
It would be a thing of beauty if posts were editable for more than an hour...I could take all the recommendations, compile them, and dump them on page 1.

(come on....all other vBulletin powered forums I know of have this feature enabled!)

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Does no one use the opening of Top Gun anymore?! I recall my dad using this one many years back

(ps - Watched Amadeus last night, may not have the thunder or surround happening, but some of the opera and concert scenes sounded amazing.)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
LOL! The best part about that story is that by then EVERYONE had seen that movie, so he had to have known the stomp was coming... and it still scared him. That movie is a sweet demo piece as well. I love the scene with the sirens when the SkyNet machines come sweeping down. But, yeah, that crunching skull is just so clean and forceful. Plus, it's the only sound so it's really captivating.
You'd think he would have seen it but he's a Jehova's Witness, although I don't know their rules or how strictly he adheres to them.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
You'd think he would have seen it but he's a Jehova's Witness, although I don't know their rules or how strictly he adheres to them.
You probably shell shocked the poor guy! :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis