Your favorite demo material....theater and 2 channel

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
We've all thrown around our favorite stuff to hear, but let's get together a singular thread that is easily searchable.

Throw out your favorite demo discs you pull out to show off what you have for guests, for both our two-channel music systems and our full theater systems.

Give the why, and specific tracks or chapters if they apply!

Last edited:
Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Personally, for my theater, I use Iron Man, the scene when Stark completes the first suit and escapes the cave.

The sudden hit if the suit firing up when the terrorists are silently looking about is impressive, followed by good surround effects of gunfire. Once he gets outside the subs get kickin' with the fire effects.....but the real attention grabber is when 50cal machine gun starts firing. If you've got a really powerful sub setup, this one is certain to impress.
On the same system, I sometimes use This Is It, the Michael Jackson movie, the music sections are phenomenal.

For my 2-channel system, I usually use Jack Johnson: En Concert. Any part with a duet is excellent for voice separation. Track 9, "Country Road" w/Paula Fuga ; Track 12, "Constellations" w/Eddie Veddder ; and Track 2, "If I had Eyes" w/ some guy I can't recall with a great soul voice.
It produces a great soundstage with just the right reverb from the performance. Really good one, and I can even play it for my mother!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We already have eleventy-billion of these threads, so I can't say we really need another one.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
We already have eleventy-billion of these threads, so I can't say we really need another one.
(edited for the vulgarity of my mouth)

I am very well aware, and they are horribly scattered and impossible to easily search and most give no reason for their existence in the thread, but thanks for your reply! :rolleyes:

Really just trying to make this easier for people to sort through.

Last edited:
I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
The Drum scene from "House of Flying Daggers" usually helps turn the Holy $*@# amp up to 11.

I also like the opening scene of "Predator" on BluRay with the music and helicopter flying in from the ocean.

Typically, you want scenes that connect to people's emotion in sight & sound.

Seabiscuit's Admiral scene is great. My favorite sports movie of all time is "The Natural" and there are a few emotionally charged scenes in that one as well.

"Open Range" has some really detailed gunshot and rain scenes. I like it better than the typical "Master & Commander".

And the new "Star Trek" has some killer stuff in it as well.

Sorry if I stole anyone's!

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
I already talk to "eleventy-billion" smart-@ss cocksuckers a day, so I can't really say I need another one.
But, to address your point anyways:
I am very well aware, and they are horribly scattered and impossible to easily search and most give no reason for their existence in the thread, but thanks for your reply! :rolleyes:

Really just trying to make this easier for people to sort through.
I suppose that's two votes for the Fantastic Four's "Flame On"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfp9WG9P2E&feature=related

:D;)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The Drum scene from "House of Flying Daggers" usually helps turn the Holy $*@# amp up to 11.
Try as I do, I can't seem to get localizable surround effects in that scene. It's too diffuse, which is wierd cause I'm using monopole surrounds. Perhaps they're set up too high up in the air? Because whenever I play that scene, it sounds good, but it doesn't sound like the things are bouncing all around me.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
A movie I thought had pretty "demoey" surround effects was Prince of Persia btw... the arrows feel like they're actually moving from one place to another

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic

I also like the opening scene of "Predator" on BluRay with the music and helicopter flying in from the ocean.

Typically, you want scenes that connect to people's emotion in sight & sound.

Seabiscuit's Admiral scene is great. My favorite sports movie of all time is "The Natural" and there are a few emotionally charged scenes in that one as well.

"Open Range" has some really detailed gunshot and rain scenes. I like it better than the typical "Master & Commander".

And the new "Star Trek" has some killer stuff in it as well.

Sorry if I stole anyone's!
That makes a really good point, using things that people remember and are familiar with the way they heard/experienced on their own televisions or systems to give a better comparison to what we've built.

Try as I do, I can't seem to get localizable surround effects in that scene. It's too diffuse, which is wierd cause I'm using monopole surrounds. Perhaps they're set up too high up in the air? Because whenever I play that scene, it sounds good, but it doesn't sound like the things are bouncing all around me.
I feel the same way about that one, maybe we just don't know what we're doing :cool:

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
You don't want localizable for a surround field. You want it to be diffused.

NOT trying to pick on you or condescend. But I would really like to further discussion on the topic...

This is not optimal for surrounds***. People do it, sure, and it works to an extent. I don't know where this theory sprung from or how it spread like wild fire, but it is not correct for the home theater. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes for budgetary concerns I end up having to use them for surrounds on projects. It’s not like it breaks anything, but it’s not actually considered “correct” either.

Where did this come from?
I'm guessing someone somewhere looked up at a commercial theater and saw... "Hey, they seem to have direct radiating speakers for surrounds.... THAT must be the best thing for my home "theater"".

However, what that guy failed to realize, or ignored, is that the movie theater has a bunch of those cascaded all the way up the wall so there is no need for a "dipole" speaker. In a commercial theater they throw many many speakers at the problem (localized sound) as well as delay settings & level tapering over dozens of rows. In a home theater, the room is way smaller and typically has 1, 2, or 3 rows. This is where a dipole speaker does the work of what the commercial system does and can offer a diffused sound field. A monopole cannot.

Somewhere in all of this, the term "monopole" became a popular, fancy way to describe a normal speaker being used as a surround. This is probably to help the concept fit in with dipole & bi-pole during discussion. In actuality, your typical tower speaker is also a monopole.

Where direct radiating/monopole speakers are recommended is for surround back channels 6 & 7 or, if need be, when the rears are narrowly & directly behind someone.

Anyway... I would experiment with placement as well as your db levels. That demo can show flaw in speakers and setup. I once heard it play in a client's home and it sounded directionless. it was like a giant mat of sound got flopped over the whole room. Turns out his kid downloaded the manual to the receiver and turned up the rears to + 10 DB. They were less than 4' from the listening position!!!! And at loud volumes.... Holy cow!

NOTE***: Where a monopole absolutely CAN and WILL work for surrounds is if you are using certain types of ribbon based line arrays for your surround speakers. The sound stage out of something like this: http://bgcorp.com/PDFs/R-550-literature.pdf is fine for a 3 or 4 row theater. But... this, the BG SS-303: http://bgcorp.com/PDFs/SS-202-303.pdf is still better, IMO, and it is a Dipole. Again, it all comes down to application, room size, etc.

Thoughts, disagree, etc.?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
We've all thrown around our favorite stuff to hear, but let's get together a singular thread that is easily searchable.

Throw out your favorite demo discs you pull out to show off what you have for guests, for both our two-channel music systems and our full theater systems.

Give the why, and specific tracks or chapters if they apply!
I do understand why j garcia posted what he did, and with all due respect, I am not sure how your thread helps the cause in getting it all in one place (instead of bumping an older one). One could say it might appear that it's like, feed me, feed me! Anyways, I don't really care, so I'll rattle off a thing or two:

mch music bluray, Karajan Memorial Concert.

Animation, Ratatouille is still King IMO, though Surf's Up, Kung Fu Panda, and most Pixar movies all qualify, among others. Rat is a pain in that you have to skip 10 previews.

To blow people away how good such old film material can look, The Sound of Music, and How The West Was Won.

For moments of Holy &*#% that-is-so-damn-spatially-realistic surround effects (cannot rattle off chapters), it's happened to me in Toy Story 3, as well as in a couple of scenes in Lebanon for a more recent viewing.

Star Trek is definitely a demo action movie. Kill Bill 1/2 might still be #1 though, even after all these years. Really friggin' sick PQ. As for Tarantino, Inglorious Basterds is right up there in PQ, but Reservoir Dogs is not.

Avatar 2d BD looks tremendous, and IMO, it's head and shoulders above the IMAX 3D PQ.

Most movies by Nolan are just above average, not demo, except particularly for the IMAX scenes *only* in The Dark Knight. Those are sick.

2ch system, most/all demo's are classical, and they include Lassus (Hilliard), Shostakovich Piano Quintet (Borodin/Richter), perhaps Verklarte Nacht (Juilliard/YoYoMa/Trampler), among others. I also enjoy jazz quite a bit from time to time, but unfortunately little to none of what I love is of demo quality. Probably the best SQ I have outside of classical could be a burned copy of Allison Krauss & Union Station performing live.

Last edited:
I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
I do understand why j garcia posted what he did, and with all due respect, I am not sure how your thread helps the cause in getting it all in one place (instead of bumping an older one). One could say it might appear that it's like, feed me, feed me! Anyways, I don't really care, so I'll rattle off a thing or two:

mch music bluray, Karajan Memorial Concert.

Animation, Ratatouille is still King IMO, though Surf's Up, Kung Fu Panda, and most Pixar movies all qualify, among others. Rat is a pain in that you have to skip 10 previews.

To blow people away how good such old film material can look, The Sound of Music, and How The West Was Won.

For moments of Holy &*#% that-is-so-damn-spatially-realistic surround effects (cannot rattle off chapters), it's happened to me in Toy Story 3, as well as in a couple of scenes in Lebanon for a more recent viewing.

Star Trek is definitely a demo action movie. Kill Bill 1/2 might still be #1 though, even after all these years. Really friggin' sick PQ. As for Tarantino, Inglorious Basterds is right up there in PQ, but Reservoir Dogs is not.

Avatar 2d BD looks tremendous, and IMO, it's head and shoulders above the IMAX 3D PQ.

Most movies by Nolan are just above average, not demo, except particularly for the IMAX scenes *only* in The Dark Knight. Those are sick.

2ch system, most/all demo's are classical, and they include Lassus (Hilliard), Shostakovich Piano Quintet (Borodin/Richter), perhaps Verklarte Nacht (Juilliard/YoYoMa/Trampler), among others. I also enjoy jazz quite a bit from time to time, but unfortunately little to none of what I love is of demo quality. Probably the best SQ I have outside of classical could be a burned copy of Allison Krauss & Union Station performing live.
Funny you should mention this one....

So, a little over 2 years ago we did a home show. I was setting everything up before it opened and I was downstairs in this house with the builder. I put on Ratatouille for testing, which I hadn't seen before. We were using a new in-wall sub system that had two dual 8's with a big amp. Well, the lightning scene hit right in the begining and scared the &*@% out of us. The builder was like "DAMN!!!!!! That was lifelike! I thought we blew up!". We were both startled. I played it off like, "Yeah, that's how we build em'.". But really I was thinking... "Hmmm, a little too lifelike". Well, the amp was up so loud it blew into protect mode and shut off. The loud snap/pop (and believe me, it sounded like a gunshot from the other room) was amazing. I reset the amp, turned that thing down and thanked goodness that it wasn't dead!

:eek::D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I realize that localization isn't desirable, but I always assumed that particular scene was all about the localization. What exactly is it about the scene that makes people love it so much, then? It's immersive, but not mind-blowing in my setup at least.

I'm guessing someone somewhere looked up at a commercial theater and saw... "Hey, they seem to have direct radiating speakers for surrounds.... THAT must be the best thing for my home "theater"".

However, what that guy failed to realize, or ignored, is that the movie theater has a bunch of those cascaded all the way up the wall so there is no need for a "dipole" speaker. In a commercial theater they throw many many speakers at the problem (localized sound) as well as delay settings & level tapering over dozens of rows. In a home theater, the room is way smaller and typically has 1, 2, or 3 rows. This is where a dipole speaker does the work of what the commercial system does and can offer a diffused sound field. A monopole cannot.
Thanks for the advice. In a recent post I was discussing just this, but I never considred the necessary delay and level tapering... whenever I do get to this I'll be sure to consider that as well.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=796736&postcount=55

Anyway... I would experiment with placement as well as your db levels. That demo can show flaw in speakers and setup. I once heard it play in a client's home and it sounded directionless. it was like a giant mat of sound got flopped over the whole room. Turns out his kid downloaded the manual to the receiver and turned up the rears to + 10 DB. They were less than 4' from the listening position!!!! And at loud volumes.... Holy cow!
My system at the moment is simply set up with the Marantz Auto-EQ setting trim levels.

Thoughts, disagree, etc.?
I think surround dipoles are too "lobey". The null in the center is why I don't like them. I realize the need for "spaciousness" but I think the way dipoles do it is not natural. I think multi-horn-loaded-monopoles is THE way to go.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Two channel: Soul Ballet's "Trip The Night Fantastic".

I'm sill working on figuring out the best 5.1 demo disc.

Last edited:
I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
I realize that localization isn't desirable, but I always assumed that particular scene was all about the localization. What exactly is it about the scene that makes people love it so much, then? It's immersive, but not mind-blowing in my setup at least.

Thanks for the advice. In a recent post I was discussing just this, but I never considred the necessary delay and level tapering... whenever I do get to this I'll be sure to consider that as well.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=796736&postcount=55

My system at the moment is simply set up with the Marantz Auto-EQ setting trim levels.

I think surround dipoles are too "lobey". The null in the center is why I don't like them. I realize the need for "spaciousness" but I think the way dipoles do it is not natural. I think multi-horn-loaded-monopoles is THE way to go.
When you catch a minute, could you link one of these? I would like to study them.

As far as the lobey or gap in sound, it all depends on positioning and quality of speaker. Some manufacturers just throw a few drivers on both sides of the box and then, boom, dipole! But, that's not all there is to it.

Also, keep in mind that when we sit down to try and watch a movie and are focused on the gear, it's easy to find "faults" or issues with things. What's tough is seperating our minds from the enthusiast in us and trying to imerse ourselves in the picture because we're listening for certain things. What is correct is what's correct to your ears. If you like direct speakers for surrounds.... that's perfect for you.

If you want to check out some incredibly cool speakers, check out BG Radia. They are unlike anything else in the world. I will have a thread on them before end of the month that I know you will find interesting. Until then, please check out the technology and how their speakers work. I have read a lot of your posts over the months and I think that you would enjoy delving into something unique like these. You can do a monopole from them as surrounds, or dipoles, or arrays. It depend on their model and the room, but they aren't your typical speaker.

www.bgradia.com

Enjoy!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
When you catch a minute, could you link one of these? I would like to study them.
I don't know if such a thing truly exists as a singular speaker. What I had in mind was merely a few of these:

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/SYNERGY_horn.asp?MODEL=SM 60F

Lined up next to each other, radiating in phase though, not out of phase. They would be spaced about .3 to .5m from each other and lined up all the way to the back of the room, with the horn aimed towards the center of the room to an extent. Three along each of the side walls as "surrounds", plus rear surrounds. It would likely require a huge theater room to do properly.

Or maybe right next to each other like this, except smaller LMAO:

Otherwise you'd be getting into speakers like this:

http://www.meyersound.com/products/industrialseries/mvc-5/

I don't know if the above is a cardioid (I didn't examine it carefully, but it looked like one :p), but I think a small horizontal cardioid would be an interesting venture for surround sound. That's getting into a whole nother territory though. I'm in way over my head sometimes without actually thinking things through :p I did hear a seemingly "entry level" cardioid this one time in a hall and I knew right there that this sort of speaker MUST be tried inside a home theater... but it'd be expensive.

OTOH another cardioid i've heard at the Flames game sucked ****. I'd rather be home listening to the tinny sony tv speakers than the Saddledome PA system.

As far as the lobey or gap in sound, it all depends on positioning and quality of speaker. Some manufacturers just throw a few drivers on both sides of the box and then, boom, dipole! But, that's not all there is to it.
Perhaps. But when I think of a dipole,I think that 180 degrees you're going to inevitably have a null. Thus all you really hear if you sit 180 degrees is the reflected sound - hence the "spacious" effect that I don't know if I agree with. I think you need direct sound as a directional cue... I've got my monopoles set up wall-mounted, up near the ceiling so it's not firing straight into my ears, and the ceiling reflection is early enough that it adds height to the surround stage.

Also, keep in mind that when we sit down to try and watch a movie and are focused on the gear, it's easy to find "faults" or issues with things. What's tough is seperating our minds from the enthusiast in us and trying to imerse ourselves in the picture because we're listening for certain things. What is correct is what's correct to your ears. If you like direct speakers for surrounds.... that's perfect for you.
Good point. That may be my issue with the HoFD scene... just that it doesn't "grab you". My dad was sure impressed by the scene, though.

Interesting, interesting. Seems like a good solution as the cylcindrical, uniform radiation will give you directional cues you while taking full advantage of side-wall reflections to give spaciousness...but any time you're messing with line arrays you better have some fat pockets.

I believe that particular ribbon driver is the one used in a speaker I'd like to build, btw:

http://www.musicanddesign.com/NaO_NoteDetails.html

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What about these?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
And....it's outa here. I thought this thread was supposed to be about favorite audio tracks? :rolleyes: :confused: :p

Thanks, I'll be here all week. And the obscenities will be too ****** ****** :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
DVDs
U571
the creaks and rivots popping as she dives below her safetey limit) and the barrage of depth charges.

Master & Commander (again the creaking of the hull is so real life and the sonic barage of the french uns on the ship)

BluRay
Star Trek

Two Channel CD
Cake "Fashion nugget"

Two Channel Vinyl
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Mojo"
Tracey Chapman self titled album

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers