Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Therein lies the rub but the lesson to be learned is that speakers are like hammers.
I have several and different ones and they are good for different things.

For instance my sledge hammer is great for rappers ... :eek: :D

Fear not ... that stuff washes right off.
I usually just hit the mute button.:eek:

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
After listening to 4 pairs of speakers ranging from $1,500 - $5,700 yesterday I am unspeakably disappointed in some of my gear that I was totally in love with the day before yesterday. The good thing is that with my 360's I have been reigned in from turning them up too loud and ruining the good sound they are able to produce ... so that's a plus but I'm not as in love with them as I was.

This just in ... :)

After using some of what I have learned here and elsewhere I raised my x-over to 80, cut the gain on my sub by a couple of dBs and turned the volume down. I feel like every time I say something about turning the volume down Walter sheds a tear like the Indian does when people litter.

Edit: All this listening and consternating makes me appreciate what it really takes to get clean sound at high SPL's. $$$
Alex, what speakers did you audition?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Alex, what speakers did you audition?
Martin Logan Vantage
Definitive Technology DP-8060ST
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand
B&W CM9GB

It turns out my friend (guy named Bryan that Rick met out here) knows stuff about speakers and I got to pick up on a little of that so the audition was instructional. I'm afraid I tortured poor Rick when he was out here by blaring everything. Oh well, he'll know to bring ear plugs next time. :p

I usually just hit the mute button.:eek:
... me too. :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
So Alex is now getting into financial disorder, coz he needs to get new speakers....

And once he got new speakers he needs a more powerful amplifier...

And.... la la la la la :D

And I agree that speakers are like hammers, different speakers can be good for different things, but the best speakers will be good for everything :p

I will give you advice... don't listen to Beethoven Grand.... you'll probably just wanna buy them.....

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So Alex is now getting into financial disorder, coz he needs to get new speakers....

And once he got new speakers he needs a more powerful amplifier...

And.... la la la la la :D

And I agree that speakers are like hammers, different speakers can be good for different things, but the best speakers will be good for everything :p

I will give you advice... don't listen to Beethoven Grand.... you'll probably just wanna buy them.....
I've been a financial mess since I got interested in audio which is around the same time I joined AH but correlation and causation are different things in this case. How did you know that I needed an amp? You must be psychic. When you talk about 'the best speakers' you're probably talking about speakers in the $20,000 and up price range. I know this isn't a news flash but I don't have to worry much about stuff like that. However none of these 'best speakers' are suitable for all rooms. There will always be trade offs. It still comes down to the right tool for the right job but if you're only going to have one tool in your tool box it should probably be a chain saw. :D

My little listening forays have resulted in some temporary feelings of disappointment with my own gear but it's encouraging to note that lasting improvements have also been made as a result of these auditions through speaker positioning, set up of crossovers, decoupling and an understanding of my system's capabilities. Meeting different people with this common interest has also been a lot of fun.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
I've been a financial mess since I got interested in audio which is around the same time I joined AH but correlation and causation are different things in this case. How did you know that I needed an amp? You must be psychic. When you talk about 'the best speakers' you're probably talking about speakers in the $20,000 and up price range. I know this isn't a news flash but I don't have to worry much about stuff like that. However none of these 'best speakers' are suitable for all rooms. There will always be trade offs. It still comes down to the right tool for the right job but if you're only going to have one tool in your tool box it should probably be a chain saw. :D

My little listening forays have resulted in some temporary feelings of disappointment with my own gear but it's encouraging to note that lasting improvements have also been made as a result of these auditions through speaker positioning, set up of crossovers, decoupling and an understanding of my system's capabilities. Meeting different people with this common interest has also been a lot of fun.
Best fun in this hobby is to get this great musical pleasure from non expensive equipment... and yes I agree with you... except for chainsaw :p

"Best speakers" could also be stuff like Dunaudio Contour S 3.4 or S 1.4 or some of the Danish System Audio models that play great at less than $3000, but you need sub's then to get "it all" :D

And I have no idea how my mind works.... sometimes even I am scared by myself

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Martin Logan Vantage
Definitive Technology DP-8060ST
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand
B&W CM9GB

It turns out my friend (guy named Bryan that Rick met out here) knows stuff about speakers and I got to pick up on a little of that so the audition was instructional. I'm afraid I tortured poor Rick when he was out here by blaring everything. Oh well, he'll know to bring ear plugs next time. :p

... me too. :D
Any favorites in that group? Disappointments?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
It turns out my friend (guy named Bryan that Rick met out here) knows stuff about speakers.
I remember Bryan and his wife, both very friendly.
If I'm not mistaken, Bryan and I are the first and only straight guys to see Mantown.;):D NTTAWWT

I'm afraid I tortured poor Rick when he was out here by blaring everything. Oh well, he'll know to bring ear plugs next time. :p
If that's what you call torture, we'll be back up to R.I. this weekend.:D We had a great time, and I liked both of your set-ups.
There was a lot to see and hear, besides checking out all the work you did in Mantown.
When we got to the living room and I sat on the most comfortable couch ever. All I could think about was how lame our couch was at home.
Besides, your wife had us on a busy dinner schedule and she made a lot of great food; she really put much time and effort into our visit.
We really hope the four of us can get together a few times every summer.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Any favorites in that group? Disappointments?
The Martin Logan Vantage speakers kicked some serious @ss. Their only short coming was that the sound degraded completely when I stood up but I don't care about that. You've seen me. Do I look like I'm about to start dancing? :D

The Def Tech BP-8060ST were compromised by improper sub gain and probably placement issues being jammed in between other speakers but even after some adjustments they still sucked the big one. I wrote 'looses coherence in 2KHz - 2.5KHz range'. My buddy thought it was a little higher than that. Definitely not a wiener. In a sense they were my favorite because they made me feel best about my Infinities. :)

EDIT: I've heard the Def Tech 7002's in a BB before and love them.
It was all like wow wow wow pow pow pow ... :)

I'd pick the smaller cheaper VA over the larger, more expensive and prettier B&W's because they did a better job across a wider range despite some areas where the B&W's clearly exceeded the VA's abilities. I guess if I was in a house where I wanted to crack some plaster and hurt my ears that decision would be reversed but for home theater use at about 75dB - 80dB the VA would be the best fit.

If I'm not mistaken, Bryan and I are the first and only straight guys to see Mantown.;):D NTTAWWT
LMAO ... :D

I liked both of your set-ups.
Thanks, I like 'em too. I've moved stuff around some, calibrated a little more carefully, made some bass management adjustments and learned to ease up on the throttle since then. Don't get me wrong. Nobody likes excess like me but to make a car comparison ... just because a fofo can go over 100mph doesn't mean it should go over 100mph. ;)

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
The Martin Logan Vantage speakers kicked some serious @ss. Their only short coming was that the sound degraded completely when I stood up but I don't care about that. You've seen me. Do I look like I'm about to start dancing? :D
Yes!!!! :p

Matt34

Matt34

Things not to do to a Police dog.

What is headlock?

A 30-year-old Savannah man has been arrested and treated for injuries after he tried to place a headlock on a police K-9 trying to help remove him from an attic where he was hiding Thursday night.

Matthew Tennyson Bosque was charged with obstruction, a felony, and driving under the influence and leaving accident/failure to give aid/info, both misdemeanors, after threatening to shoot an officer and the police dog.

Savannah-Chatham police had gone to the 200 block of 54th Street about 9 p.m. after the victim of a hit-and-run traffic accident reported following the other vehicle to the lane behind the house and watching the driver run to it. A resident identified Bosque as the driver of the truck and gave officers permission to enter the house to talk to him. The owner of the house later asked the officers to remove him.

Bosque was found hiding behind objects in a walk-up attic and threatened to use a handgun he said was in his pocket to shoot the officer and the K-9. After a long discussion, officers were prepared to use a Taser to subdue him but hesitated because of his location in the attic and the possibility of him falling through the ceiling. Instead, Bosque lunged toward an officer and then grabbed police dog Chip.

He was treated by EMS for a bite to the left arm and an injury to his head received when he bumped a roof joist during the struggle. During the tussle an air conditioning duct was knocked loose and an officer partially fell through the ceiling.
http://savannahnow.com/latest-news/2010-11-19/savannah-man-hurt-arrested-after-attacking-police-dog

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I pray for Davemcc every night and that's about it.
There are so many people praying for me that I should be a saintly proselytizer using my lottery winnings doing charity work with my Victoria's Secret model wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis