Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Its in response about ground-plane measurements not being an accurate way of testing subwoofer performance :rolleyes:.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/subwoofer-shootout

Its easy to put the pieces together since Axiom tests their subwoofers in free space on a pole and Axiom advertising on this website has also vanished like a fart in the wind. 1 + 1 = 2
ha ha.... yes
Also....... I didn't know that the Axiom guys also listened 90ft above ground :p

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Earthquake may think they're playing it safe by not wanting independant test results for their subwoofer to be published. However, they are gambling just as much with this tactic, as they would by playing ball with the tester. Their attitude speaks volumes and I see no upside for them.

As for CR, I don't know if they have tested any Bose products since the review in question, but I were them, I would just not bother testing them anymore. Then, every time testing of similar products is conducted, they could include a statement saying that Bose was excluded because they don't want their products tested using proper, generally accepted methodology. That'll learn 'em...:D
Consumer Reports has reviewed Bose speakers since then, and they have been willing to give them negative reviews. However, they do not exhibit the rabidly anti-Bose stance that some people have, and that causes some people who don't actually measure or even listen to the speakers in question to feel as though they are being overly gentle. The simple fact is, some Bose speakers are better than others, some of which are not that bad, all things considered. Also, Consumer Reports reviews speakers that are models that many people might consider, so they never review the expensive high end, and they don't tend to review very obscure and hard to find items. Also, they tend to compare models at similar price points, so when they rate a particular $200 speaker as a "best buy", they are indicating that, among the speakers tested, that model is noticeably better than other models near that price point; they are not saying that it would compare favorably with a good $1000 speaker.

They also give excellent advice to people who are smart enough to read the text of their articles instead of stupidly just glancing at the charts, as they often say that speakers that score similarly may sound very different, so one ought to listen before one buys. This, of course, makes a lot of sense that speakers that score similarly may sound very different, as different speakers have different combinations of virtues and vices, so one excelling in one area may be substandard in another, and another speaker may excel where that one is poor, but be poor where that one excels.

Most of the people who bash Consumer Reports don't actually read it, which is evident from their comments about it. And many who bash them also don't bother considering actual measurements of the performance of the speakers that are supposedly "good brands" that audiophools admire, and when one of them measures a poor frequency response (with significant peaks or dips), Consumer Reports rates the speaker in accordance with such facts, that audiophools often ignore. Most audiophools seem to use brand reputation more than actual listening, and certainly not double blind unbiassed listening, to decide what is "better".

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Update on the Sub Shootout

HSU has been added and tested without incident.

Funkywaves had to submit a more powerful amp as their stock amp isn't powerful enough for such a high mass driver to hit the CEA distortion limits.

Rhymik sub has a finish issue that showed up when exposed to sunlight. This does not however affect performance and Rhymik is working on a fix for production units as we speak.

SVS has been tested without incident. No surprises there!

Salk sub has limited output which really shows up during the CEA tests. The design criteria according to Salk was musical sub to compliment their towers, moreso that a high SPL sub.

We are awaiting the RBH sample to test.

Earthquake, well you know that story :rolleyes:

Here are a few teaser pics.

Attachments

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

Funkywaves had to submit a more powerful amp as their stock amp isn't powerful enough for such a high mass driver to hit the CEA distortion limits.

Rhymik sub has a finish issue that showed up when exposed to sunlight. This does not however affect performance and Rhymik is working on a fix for production units as we speak.

Salk sub has limited output which really shows up during the CEA tests. The design criteria according to Salk was musical sub to compliment their towers, moreso that a high SPL sub.

This is the most anticipated article on AH in quite some time.:cool: I can't wait to hear AH's impressions of the SVS PB-12 plus. I own one (w/ original amp) and have been having pangs to buy dual Epik Empires (damn you Rickster71!:D) and a great review could save me some money!:) (maybe...)

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja

Again, kudos to these manufacturers for taking part in this!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I thought it also worth mentioning that the manufacturers in this list that we are currently testing have NEVER tried to sway our test results or methodologies in testing. IMHO this speaks volumes about their integrity, trust in their products and trust in us to write a fair assessment of their products.

Cheers to:
  • RBH Sound
  • Rythmik Audio
  • SVS
  • HSU
  • Funkywaves
  • Salk

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
This is the most anticipated article on AH in quite some time.:cool: I can't wait to hear AH's impressions of the SVS PB-12 plus. I own one (w/ original amp) and have been having pangs to buy dual Epik Empires (damn you Rickster71!:D) and a great review could save me some money!:) (maybe...)
I'm curious as well. The new Plus w/Sledge is supposed to now rival the output numbers of the Ultra/13 BASH platform and more importantly sound like very similar. There is a tradeoff however, and I'm curious to see if the review picks it up. As far as your dual Empire envy, get your ears on one or two. I was quite impressed with John Garcia's and I owned a earlier Plus rev and now own a PB13. For a sealed sub, it's got monster output.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I thought it also worth mentioning that the manufacturers in this list that we are currently testing have NEVER tried to sway our test results or methodologies in testing. IMHO this speaks volumes about their integrity, trust in their products and trust in us to write a fair assessment of their products.

Cheers to:
  • RBH Sound
  • Rythmik Audio
  • SVS
  • HSU
  • Funkywaves
wait, Salk tried to sway the test results?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
that's how i read that too :confused:

which would be shocking as jim has always been a true stand up guy.
Not to mention as a total perfectionist he would sooner revamp his sub than try to pass it off as better than it is.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
The fw12x funkywaves submitted I believe had a 1000 watt amp supplied. Are those CEA standards that extreme could explain why some mfg's had reservations? I know he recently build a customized 2000w plate amp for some of his larger builds ...maybe that will do....jk:p. I don't believe that particular enclosure was build with a plate amp and I hope you get the new amp soon :D.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't get it. How can somebody threaten to sue AFTER they sent a product and AFTER they agreed to have it reviewed and compared to other subs? That makes no sense :/
Have you heard of flip-flopping? ;):D No difference with some companies, right? :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Now if there are any lawyers reading this that would like to offer us free representation, feel free to email me :)
Have you contacted the Blue Jeans pres for advice? He seems to know a lot about the law, even if he cannot represent you. After the help you gave him, a few reciprocation is called for. :D

S

Sepen

Junior Audioholic
HSU sub already tested? Wow, did they overnight it to you? :) How about a teeny weeny tiny impression?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
HSU sub already tested? Wow, did they overnight it to you? :) How about a teeny weeny tiny impression?
HSU and the tester/reviewer for this shootout are both in California.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Well, let's see, what could be the reason they don't want the results published? If they are making a substandard product that can't match the competition, that would explain it. But if they are making a good product that matches or beats the competition, it is a bit difficult to understand why they would object to you proving that. I suppose it could be insanity, instead of building a product that can't match the competition, but somehow that does not seem so likely.
Googling for price shows list at $2900. Perhaps that is the issue, too expensive for what it can do compared to others?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis