Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
no great loss IMO. actually, none at all. carry on with the great shootout!
It's a financial loss to us since I had to pay Paul for his efforts as he already tested this product. It's a time loss to Paul as he could have been testing other products for us. It's also a time loss to me to deal with this very insulting rude individual.

There are losses but I don't think its worth carrying this to court, though the rebellious side of me wants to take this as far as they want to. This would likely be thrown out of court and deemed malicious prosecution on their part.

At this point they have already compromised our objectivity with threats and I don't think they are worth getting our FREE press via a product review as a result.

Now if there are any lawyers reading this that would like to offer us free representation, feel free to email me :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Kind of peculiar that RBH is the only brick and mortar company left on this list though - and they'll probably rerelease the 12-SE as an EMP sub with a slightly modified driver material. THeir es10i is nice and all but I think just rely on a 10 incher!
Actually the RBH model utilizes their new SX cabinet, new long excursion 12" driver and new 500 watt amp. Its still in prototype phase and Paul is expecting to get a sample in two weeks. I need to update the model# once they tell me what it is :)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Actually the RBH model utilizes their new SX cabinet, new long excursion 12" driver and new 500 watt amp. Its still in prototype phase and Paul is expecting to get a sample in two weeks. I need to update the model# once they tell me what it is :)
It'll probably be called the SX-12(/R?) based on the website update they've got going.

http://www.rbhsound.com/2010/sx12.php

What i meant to say earlier was that the EMP es10i is a nice sub, but you can't just rely on a 10-incher for your internet direct company, internet people buy based on driver size, rational or not! I think an EMP es12i / a rebranded SX-12 is what they should do. So in a sense, a year from now every sub on this shootout could in fact be available online internet direct.

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
At this point they have already compromised our objectivity with threats...
This is why you should not keep them in the shoot out.

Just remember, karma is a *****. They'll get theirs.:)

S

Sepen

Junior Audioholic
Drama, I am all too familiar with it. Seeing that it doesn't involve my life for a change, I love it! Makes for great reading.

I can't wait to read about that HSU sub. I have an offer on my VTF-3 MK3 which I considered a monster and if the VTF-15H can expand on all the positives of it I will certainly purchase it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Now if there are any lawyers reading this that would like to offer us free representation, feel free to email me :)
The key here phrase here is "Full Contigency" :) You don't want a free attorney:D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I read through the thread at Axiom. I read Gene's editorial. It's funny that a word search returned zero results for Axiom.

I am not sure what they are getting in such a lather over.

I knew it was lights out for the EP Sub's when Haoleb's DIY Kappa blew Axioms $1800 monstrosity out of the water for 1/2 the price and tons more flexibility.

What Axiom has to worry about is a guy like that doing a blow by blow complete with a partial tear down of their sub.
Here are the measurements for the EP600 that have been tested over at the shack.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/6012-subwoofer-tests-round-2-29th-october-2005-test-summary.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/973-axiom-ep-600-2nd-test.html

jinjuku

jinjuku

I saw those measurements a few years ago and was not impressed. All the graphs and such are nice but when Haoleb says the Kappa Perfects pound the snot out of an $1800 sub, I really don't need much in the way of visuals.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow, those test results... Not good for something that massive and expensive. How does something that big have such poor clean max output?

Ilkka stopped testing subs after he went to work for Genelec, conflict of interest and all. That was a big loss for the home audio sub world, his testing was the gold standard.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
I'm curious about the new 12 SE sub. I already have two of the 1010 SEP. I would nice if I can add this sub to the mix that I have. I considering them with ann SVS.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
RE: Earthquake Sound

After much deliberation, we have decided NOT to publish our review of the Earthquake Sound MKVI-15BLK. Under legal threat, Earthquake Sound insisted that we NOT review their product because they disagreed with our testing methodology despite the fact we fully disclosed it to them and all manufacturers in this up and coming shootout prior to receiving their product samples for testing. Rather than resolving this disagreement in a scientific and rational way, Earthquake Sound owner Joseph Sahyoun threatened legal action against us if the review published on our site and included their product. This is despite the fact that all products in this shootout are being tested in a similar manner with the exact same impartiality. We feel at this point the integrity of our review of their product has been compromised as a direct result of their threats. We regret that their product will now be excluded from our shootout review and leave it to our readers to draw their own conclusions regarding this matter.

jinjuku

jinjuku

After much deliberation, we have decided NOT to publish our review of the Earthquake Sound MKVI-15BLK. Under legal threat, Earthquake Sound insisted that we NOT review their product because they disagreed with our testing methodology despite the fact we fully disclosed it to them and all manufacturers in this up and coming shootout. Rather than resolving this disagreement in a scientific and rational way, Earthquake Sound owner Joseph Sahyoun threatened legal action against us if the review published on our site and included their product. This is despite the fact that all products in this shootout are being tested in a similar manner with the exact same impartiality. We feel at this point the integrity of our review of their product has been compromised as a direct result of their threats. We regret that their product will now be excluded from our shootout review and leave it to our readers to draw their own conclusions regarding this matter.
And to any naysayers whining about Gene naming names, I say go ahead and name them. It's information about manufacturers that I didn't have before.

I can't have faith in a manufacturers product (especially when it is almost $3K) if they don't.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Regardless of their appalling behavior and going back to your editorial, these shootouts are a big gamble for small manufacturers. I'm sure you'll stress the positives of each sub, but in combination with the cons, buying decisions are made, especially when peers are in the same article. It's great for us, but perhaps a loss for them. I'm also sure there will be no clear winner, but definitely a possibility of a loser. That speaks volumes...

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
good grief earthquake
- transfer some cash from your legal fund to web development!

S

Slee_Stack

Junior Audioholic
Earthquake is a vendor that is on my consideration list for a new sub.

Hmm. Maybe not anymore. They should have just let the chips fall. They've ruined one potential sale anyway.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Regardless of their appalling behavior and going back to your editorial, these shootouts are a big gamble for small manufacturers. I'm sure you'll stress the positives of each sub, but in combination with the cons, buying decisions are made, especially when peers are in the same article. It's great for us, but perhaps a loss for them. I'm also sure there will be no clear winner, but definitely a possibility of a loser. That speaks volumes...
Yes, it is a loss for those who make a substandard product that cannot match the competition. Those making crap don't want their products fairly compared with other products, preferring to sell via hype and nonsense instead of through actual performance.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
After much deliberation, we have decided NOT to publish our review of the Earthquake Sound MKVI-15BLK. Under legal threat, Earthquake Sound insisted that we NOT review their product because they disagreed with our testing methodology despite the fact we fully disclosed it to them and all manufacturers in this up and coming shootout prior to receiving their product samples for testing. Rather than resolving this disagreement in a scientific and rational way, Earthquake Sound owner Joseph Sahyoun threatened legal action against us if the review published on our site and included their product. This is despite the fact that all products in this shootout are being tested in a similar manner with the exact same impartiality. We feel at this point the integrity of our review of their product has been compromised as a direct result of their threats. We regret that their product will now be excluded from our shootout review and leave it to our readers to draw their own conclusions regarding this matter.
Well, let's see, what could be the reason they don't want the results published? If they are making a substandard product that can't match the competition, that would explain it. But if they are making a good product that matches or beats the competition, it is a bit difficult to understand why they would object to you proving that. I suppose it could be insanity, instead of building a product that can't match the competition, but somehow that does not seem so likely.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis