Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm sure every AH member would be willing to throw in 20 bucks for the truth ;)
Perhaps, but Earthquake has a lot more than AH could come up with, I am sure. Same for that CR issue. Bose has a lot more.
I am sure you also remember Monster and that golf coarse lawsuit that initially cost the owners upwards of $200k before any settlement. Not sure Earthquake would do any settlement.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I have their excel spread sheet dealer cost program that they emailed to me. There's absolutely NO mention of confidentiallity agreement or anything even remotely close on there. Nor is it mentioned in any of the emails they've sent me. Hmmmmmmm, perhaps I could post it and really show people what an Earthquake subwoofer really costs?
Sounds like a great idea to me:D Just make sure there is no microdot someplace on the sheet that explains the NDA;):D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

HSU has been added and tested without incident.

Funkywaves had to submit a more powerful amp as their stock amp isn't powerful enough for such a high mass driver to hit the CEA distortion limits.

Rhymik sub has a finish issue that showed up when exposed to sunlight. This does not however affect performance and Rhymik is working on a fix for production units as we speak.

SVS has been tested without incident. No surprises there!

Salk sub has limited output which really shows up during the CEA tests. The design criteria according to Salk was musical sub to compliment their towers, moreso that a high SPL sub.

We are awaiting the RBH sample to test.

Earthquake, well you know that story :rolleyes:

Here are a few teaser pics.
I am surprised those bubbles didn't show up beforehand. I guess in the manufacturing cycle they are mushrooms.;):D

I see that mic lying on the ground? Does that give accurate data?

edoggrc51

edoggrc51

Audioholic
Just curious, were the Chase Home Theater/Tweak City subs ever considered? They seem to be a great "bang (or should I say BOOM) for the buck" type of subwoofer.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Go to page 10 in this thread to see why craigsub's are excluded in this shootout.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I'm curious as well. The new Plus w/Sledge is supposed to now rival the output numbers of the Ultra/13 BASH platform and more importantly sound like very similar. There is a tradeoff however, and I'm curious to see if the review picks it up. As far as your dual Empire envy, get your ears on one or two. I was quite impressed with John Garcia's and I owned a earlier Plus rev and now own a PB13. For a sealed sub, it's got monster output.
Rickster71 has one Empire and it sounded great when we listened to it.:cool:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Relax guys I forgot to add Salk to that list. I will update it NOW :eek:

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
this is an interesting read. my take on it, is that all of the subs included are quality in their own right. this shootout will result in sales for all. those not included will not benefit.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
this is an interesting read. my take on it, is that all of the subs included are quality in their own right. this shootout will result in sales for all. those not included will not benefit.
I agree for the most part.
I suspect different subs will excel in different tests, but I suspect with 6 subs and such fine competition, there will be one or two which fall short in all performance categories of other options. Of course if those happen to be less expensive they could still walk away smelling pretty good!

Hey Gene,
I'm not sure I can stand the wait.
How 'bout I show up at Paul's house and offer to be his whipping boy - help move subs set-up speadsheets, etc. for a couple of weeks, so I can get the inside scoop!:D

Cheers,
Kurt

edoggrc51

edoggrc51

Audioholic
+1!

If Paul needs help moving these heavy suckers around I'd be more than happy to lend a hand. :)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Axiom gives reson why?

I'll paraphrase here....Axiom's Ian Colquhoun states they're in full support of ground plane testing instead of above ground and it wasn't the reason why they declined this invite. He went on to say ...they help to establish the CEA standard for others in the industry and to assist those whom don't have the resources or accommodation for such a test....the second reason he never specified and stated it's between him and Gene....of course! Oh one last note...I found it funny that Craigsub decided to throw his hat into the the rink...whatta surpise.....

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
This forum behaves more like AV123 every day.

At least Audioholics still does quality reviews. Here’s hoping they stick to reviewing and lose the drama. To many reality shows out there already.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

This forum behaves more like AV123 every day.

At least Audioholics still does quality reviews. Here’s hoping they stick to reviewing and loose the drama. To many reality shows out there already.

Don't think I agree with the analogy but yeah, lets focus on the subwoofers, not the distracters.

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
Don't think I agree with the analogy but yeah, lets focus on the subwoofers, not the distracters.
I don’t really agree with the analogy either Matt but I thought it would get people’s attention.

Please feel free to edit out that part of the comment from both posts if you feel it’s to argumentative and will continue the derail of the shootout thread.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Who are these distracters in this case? I look at what has transpired recently like a child would see when their parents divorce....it just doesn't add up....:confused:.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis