Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, those test results... Not good for something that massive and expensive. How does something that big have such poor clean max output?

Ilkka stopped testing subs after he went to work for Genelec, conflict of interest and all. That was a big loss for the home audio sub world, his testing was the gold standard.
Simple. It is through bad design that a big subwoofer performs so poorly. As for the performance for the price, that can be done by simply overcharging for what they put into it. Companies like doing that, as it makes for bigger profits.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
I just don't understand what Earthquake would accomplish in a lawsuit. How can a company sue someone for testing their product?...what would be their basis for the suit? Has anyone heard of Consumer Reports being sued for testing products? As long as the review wasn't biased and set forth to tarnish Earthquake, I don't think they could do a darn thing about it. IMO of course.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
I just don't understand what Earthquake would accomplish in a lawsuit. How can a company sue someone for testing their product?...what would be their basis for the suit? Has anyone heard of Consumer Reports being sued for testing products? As long as the review wasn't biased and set forth to tarnish Earthquake, I don't think they could do a darn thing about it. IMO of course.
Earlier in the thread, someone talked about Bose suing CR over a bad review and since then CR does not do a serious review of their products. Lawsuits or threats of lawsuits can cost $$$$$, even when you are completely innocent of any wrongdoing.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
I'm sure every AH member would be willing to throw in 20 bucks for the truth ;)

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I guess I'm more live and let live than some but I'd just drop it. It never does any business (the manufacturer or Audioholics) any good to make enemies. It might be nice of the manufacturer to offer to pay return shipping and reimburse the cost of the tests but not worth pushing too hard. Not when the two will both benefit from a good relationship down the road. Remember every small business is scared poopless in this economy and any risk probably seems like too big of a risk right now. In a year or two they could be best bud's and sending in gear again.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
It's dissapointing to see a company act in this maner. On any level, how could they think that this would be a good thing for their marketing? It would be one thing to say "no thanks" or to come out after the test and say "Hey, thanks a lot for showing some areas in possible need of improvement - we're going to make some serious changes", etc. etc. But to threaten a lawsuit? Give me a break.

I was considering carrying the Earthquake line as an exclusive subwoofer only brand but after reading this, combined with a few really odd-ball experiences after calling in and speaking to them personally, I absolutely will NOT be looking at the line ever again. I was really hoping to find a company to hang our hat on subwoofer wise that offered across the board solutions across a wide price point range. We've carried JLAudio before, but they are priced soooo far out there that it's not an every day company. In that price range I get our clients into other "closed" systems instead. A specialized company focused on different product implementaions would be attractive to us & our business model. If this is how they act, no thanks!

I have their excel spread sheet dealer cost program that they emailed to me. There's absolutely NO mention of confidentiallity agreement or anything even remotely close on there. Nor is it mentioned in any of the emails they've sent me. Hmmmmmmm, perhaps I could post it and really show people what an Earthquake subwoofer really costs?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have no desire for litigation which is why I let this go despite the fact we would likely have won due for the same reason CR beat Bose. Years ago I actually gave Earthquake the benefit of a doubt when one of our forum members claimed their Earthquake amp caused their house to go on fire. They have always been friendly to us at the trade shows. I even have emails where I told them their sub was one of the smallest in the comparison and they gave us full permission to press on and do the review and shootout. I don't really understand what caused their change of heart especially since Paul claimed its one of the best measuring small subwoofers he's tested. Anyways, its water under the bridge now.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
If the Earthquake measured well, the testing methodology objection might be a smoke screen. A smaller sub vs.larger and much cheaper options with similar or better numbers may have made them think twice. Just a guess...

Prediction: The new Rythmik sub is going to open some eyes though there's been very little hype about it. The SVS will be rock solid and the Hsu maybe the overall output winner (though I'm not sure if the reported output numbers are sustainable in anything but the short burst CEA tests). I'm sure the other subs will show well too, I just don't know anything about them.

Anyway, I'm anxious to see the results.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
I have no desire for litigation which is why I let this go despite the fact we would likely have won due for the same reason CR beat Bose.
Who, in their right mind would want to go to court. It is always, always easier to settle difference outside of court. If you go to court, it cotst too much time, money and energy that can be better spent elsewhere.

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
What a great read, I'm looking to buy two subs Rythmik was high on my list. SVS and the new HSU VTF-15H. I was looking at Salk to after hearing their tower speakers at Audiofest in Denver very nice. Can't wait to see the out come.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
What the heck.. No Polk Audio sub review. No DSW Micro PRO 4000, 3000, 2000, 1000 reviews?? That's just racist (somehow)..:mad:

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/dsw/index.php#microview

Look how gorgeous.. Who would not want to review you..
Audioholics is willing to review any product. From what I understand they will not deny any products as long as the manufacturer is willing to send it to them. You have to ask Polk this question and not AH.

D

duworm

Audiophyte
Thank God for Shootouts

I love shootouts, espically ones that have WAY too much information. That way I can read between the lines and figure out which subwoofer may work best for my room and my other speakers. Currently I am using a Paradigm Servo 15 with a Velodyne SM-1 sub eq. It still took a day or so to set it up for my room and other speakers. But it was worth it.

I do believe that there is one missing element from a shootout. I would like to see an older sub like the Servo 15 or a Velodyne 15 used as a base line. It would be very interesting to see how new subs stack upagainst older subs.

In other words, is it time to upgrade?

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Sherman

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Audioholics is willing to review any product. From what I understand they will not deny any products as long as the manufacturer is willing to send it to them. You have to ask Polk this question and not AH.
can a thread have it's own sticky?

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
Buy, review and return.. Has Audioholics tried this clever tactic to get speakers to review for "free"?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I have no desire for litigation which is why I let this go despite the fact we would likely have won due for the same reason CR beat Bose. Years ago I actually gave Earthquake the benefit of a doubt when one of our forum members claimed their Earthquake amp caused their house to go on fire. They have always been friendly to us at the trade shows. I even have emails where I told them their sub was one of the smallest in the comparison and they gave us full permission to press on and do the review and shootout. I don't really understand what caused their change of heart especially since Paul claimed its one of the best measuring small subwoofers he's tested. Anyways, its water under the bridge now.
Earthquake may think they're playing it safe by not wanting independant test results for their subwoofer to be published. However, they are gambling just as much with this tactic, as they would by playing ball with the tester. Their attitude speaks volumes and I see no upside for them.

As for CR, I don't know if they have tested any Bose products since the review in question, but I were them, I would just not bother testing them anymore. Then, every time testing of similar products is conducted, they could include a statement saying that Bose was excluded because they don't want their products tested using proper, generally accepted methodology. That'll learn 'em...:D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Audioholics was the first online source to inform me of Axiom and was a factor that went into purchasing their products. Having owned several different speakers from them I will not purchase nor recommend their products to ANYONE anymore. The irony in all this is Axiom is currently running an advertorial promoting the Axiom M3 VS the B&W 805. How are they not promoting a shootout here? :confused: ;) . It's embarrassing that they have taken a stance of elitism to industry standard testing methods but will only rely on audio rags for garnering "industry reviews".

They have lost all credibility from me.
What's wrong with Axiom, I cannot remember reading anything on this matter?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis