Time to buy a gun ... again

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
The .40 has advantages over the .45 in capacity and some penetration situations, and it also allows a smaller frame. The FBI did not set out to re-invent the wheel for the heck of it. In fact they initially developed a reduced load 10mm. It was S&W that recognized that they could match the FBI's desired ballistics in a 9mm sized frame. I used to prefer .45 over .40 thinking it would be a better stopper but the more I learn the more I lean .40 or .357 Sig. I think the jury is still out on those two.

In theory at least, special forces are not supposed to use anything but FMJ so they really rely on rifle calibers. As far as I know they use a variety of calibers and weapons for sidearms, rather than a standard like the Berreta. I believe the coast guard uses .40 sig 229's and the marine expedition units still use a 1911 based .45.
Yeah I know all about the history of the .40 and as a reloader I don't find it nearly as versatile. I can load a .45 to match it or exceed it. If you drop down to lighter .45 bullets 155/180/200 then you can get close to 10mm loads. Above 200gr. The 10 or .40 don't have bullets at least not in my hogden data.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You are welcome to your opinion, but the experts disagree. The overwhelming choice among US law enforcement is .40 despite the extra expense. Next is 357 sig followed by .45. 9mm is becoming rare. It is still popular in Europe where it is rare for people to shoot at cops, but not in the US. The choice is backed up by empiracle evidence from the field, increasingly sophisticated "lab" testing, and medical/physics research.
And for some reason the US Military still uses 9mm, even over the .45 that they used to use. If the .40 is so much better than the 9mm why hasn't the military started issuing the Beretta 96 instead of the 92fs/M9?

I agree that the .357 (magnum or SIG) or .45 is great for defense too, and I keep a Glock 21 by my bed, but the .357 rounds still use a 9mm sized bullet and nobody says those are bad for defense, so that leads me back to my previous statement that using a good hot 9mm personal defense round is just fine for personal defense.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I agree with Glock, but I might also add that whichever round one personally shoots best with is the best round for that person. A well placed shot will always be better than a shot placed in the wall or ceiling. :)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with Glock, but I might also add that whichever round one personally shoots best with is the best round for that person. A well placed shot will always be better than a shot placed in the wall or ceiling. :)
Exactly, a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .50AE.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
And for some reason the US Military still uses 9mm, even over the .45 that they used to use. If the .40 is so much better than the 9mm why hasn't the military started issuing the Beretta 96 instead of the 92fs/M9?
Might be because they're well-trained and can reliably hit targets under fire. Winging an intruder may make them think twice about continuing, unless they're on meth or coked up but a 9mm will still kill pretty effectively.

What does the enemy use for sidearms?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Might be because they're well-trained and can reliably hit targets under fire. Winging an intruder may make them think twice about continuing, unless they're on meth or coked up but a 9mm will still kill pretty effectively.

What does the enemy use for sidearms?
Which further proves the point that shot placement, not caliber is key in stopping the threat.

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
The general view in the military is that handguns are pretty useless for close combat. They are forced to use ball ammo by Haige and that means very little stopping power.

As for the idea that a 9 mm uses the same size bullet as a .357, yes but so does a .38 spcl. Speed matters. If you like the 357 mag in a revolver, 357 sig comes much closer than 9mm.

On reloading the .45 to match .40, you are only looking at external balistics. Bullet design, sectional density and weight distribution have as much to do with terminal performance as mass and velocity. If you look at the work Marshall and Sanow did in the 90's, there are very large statistically significant differences between different bullets in every caliber. The wrong bullet in .40 or .45 is worse than a good one in 9 mm.

Finally, I am a big proponent of shot placement over caliber in hunting. You get to pick when and where you shoot, and if ethical, you only pull the trigger when you are confident you can place the shot. Self defense and home defense shots are by definition on someone elses terms. You don't usually have time to calm your nerves and control your breathing. You can not expect to, nor should you rely on your ability to precisely place a shot. Hence the popularity of shotguns, and also the center of mass mantra, verses head shots or heart shots etc. Also, anyone who has hunted long enough will have a story of an animal shot right through the heart but which still ran 20+ yards or stayed on it's feet for more than 10 seconds. There is a big difference between kill and stop when the target able to shoot back.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
The general view in the military is that handguns are pretty useless for close combat. They are forced to use ball ammo by Haige and that means very little stopping power.

As for the idea that a 9 mm uses the same size bullet as a .357, yes but so does a .38 spcl. Speed matters. If you like the 357 mag in a revolver, 357 sig comes much closer than 9mm.

On reloading the .45 to match .40, you are only looking at external balistics. Bullet design, sectional density and weight distribution have as much to do with terminal performance as mass and velocity. If you look at the work Marshall and Sanow did in the 90's, there are very large statistically significant differences between different bullets in every caliber. The wrong bullet in .40 or .45 is worse than a good one in 9 mm.

Finally, I am a big proponent of shot placement over caliber in hunting. You get to pick when and where you shoot, and if ethical, you only pull the trigger when you are confident you can place the shot. Self defense and home defense shots are by definition on someone elses terms. You don't usually have time to calm your nerves and control your breathing. You can not expect to, nor should you rely on your ability to precisely place a shot. Hence the popularity of shotguns, and also the center of mass mantra, verses head shots or heart shots etc. Also, anyone who has hunted long enough will have a story of an animal shot right through the heart but which still ran 20+ yards or stayed on it's feet for more than 10 seconds. There is a big difference between kill and stop when the target able to shoot back.
I am not exactly sure what your even trying to say here but with bullet designs being equal there is nothing that the 40 can do that a .45 can't do better. Like I said, I have two .40's in the house and I like them fine. I would trust them for sure in the protection of my family.

Stopping power comes down to shock to the body, under or over penetration, and the size of the wound channel. The larger the wound channel the more blood rushes in to fill the area and the faster the animal or person will drop. This is exactly the reason ball ammo for pistols are a poor choice as they have little or no expansion and create a small wound channel. Over penetration is why you don't' want to use a 454 casull with soft points in your house unless you have loaded them way down. Sure the perp is gonna die but you might also take out your kid in the next room.

You strike me as the type who just likes to argue the other side like another person in this forum who shall remain nameless (Jerry) :) That's fine if you do but just don't assume that others here don't also have some knowledge of the subject at hand.

I do know that many, many hunters hunt with much more gun that is needed for the game they are after. You don't really need a .300 win mag for deer unless your taking shots past 500 yards. More deer have been killed in this country with a 30/30 than probably all other rounds combined. Personally I use one of these :)

Last edited:
m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
Mike,

You need to hurry up and buy something before we start shootin' at each other giving you advice!

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
I am not exactly sure what your even trying to say here but with bullet designs being equal there is nothing that the 40 can do that a .45 can't do better. Like I said, I have two .40's in the house and I like them fine. I would trust them for sure in the protection of my family.
I used to believe that as well, but some of the FBI testing showed an advantage to the higher speed and sectional density combination of the then modified 10 mm in certain "barrier" situations. In geeral, I would say the differences between the two are statistically insignificant, and if one is better it is not clear cut that it is the .45. FWIW, I own 9mm, .40, .357, .45 plus a few others. I think guns get lonely if not kept in groups.

Stopping power comes down to shock to the body, under or over penetration, and the size of the wound channel. The larger the wound channel the more blood rushes in to fill the area and the faster the animal or person will drop. This is exactly the reason ball ammo for pistols are a poor choice as they have little or no expansion and create a small wound channel. Over penetration is why you don't' want to use a 454 casull with soft points in your house unless you have loaded them way down. Sure the perp is gonna die but you might also take out your kid in the next room.
I am guessing you are a hunter, and as such I am sure you have seen a deer hit solidly in some cases run a bit before dropping and in other cases instantly collapse. The physiology behind the difference is not well understood, but recent study is pointing towards CNS damage caused by a preasure spike traveling through body fluids. See the work by the Courtney husband and wife team from Harvard and MIT that have been investigating this for a few years. (http://www.btgresearch.org/index.htm)

Bleeding into the wound cavity is fatal, but can take quite a bit of time. That is OK for most hunting but not for self defense.

The comment on the ball thing is the Army is forced to use ball ammo, so their handguns are useless no matter what caliber they are. They chose to use 9 mm to standardize across NATO. In other words, unlike the choices made by police, the choices made by the army are largely irrelevant to civilian self defense.

You strike me as the type who just likes to argue the other side like another person in this forum who shall remain nameless (Jerry) :) That's fine if you do but just don't assume that others here don't also have some knowledge of the subject at hand.
I am not assuming others here have no knowledge, there is clearly quite a bit of knowledge. I just disagree with some of the opinions and conclusions. And yes I like to argue, but I truly believe in the side I am taking, not arguing just for sport (in this case)

I do know that many, many hunters hunt with much more gun that is needed for the game they are after. You don't really need a .300 win mag for deer unless your taking shots past 500 yards. More deer have been killed in this country with a 30/30 than probably all other rounds combined.
There are good reasons to choose a heavier than necessary caliber, but there are also good reasons why an experienced shooter can effectively harvest deer with a .22. The skill and self discipline necessary to have a high percentage of quick kills with a .22 don't apply to self defense like they do hunting. That was my point. The hunter can take his time to precisely place the shot, and if he can't put it exactly where he wants it, he can let the deer go and wait for another, better opportunity. If someone breaks into my house, I can't decide to let him pass and wait until I have an intruder who presents a clear shot. I need to take whatever shot I can and hope it is good enough.

In summary of my point, If it were legal and I had the motivation to, I could kill a deer with just about any caliber. I could also KILL (murder?) a person with any caliber, but when it comes to effectively stopping someone quickly, in less than ideal conditions, I am going to be much more selective about my firearm and ammo. It is my opinion, based on a lot of research by others, that there is a small but significant benefit to selecting a more powerful cartridge than 9mm, be it .40, .45 or one of the .357's. It is also my experience that even a smallish woman can easily handle any of these calibers with a little training and a properly fitting gun.

Matt34

Matt34

I agree that the .357 (magnum or SIG) or .45 is great for defense too, and I keep a Glock 21 by my bed, but the .357 rounds still use a 9mm sized bullet and nobody says those are bad for defense, so that leads me back to my previous statement that using a good hot 9mm personal defense round is just fine for personal defense.
Mostly because they found that some smaller Soldiers (females) couldn't handle the .45 during testing which resulted in procurement of the beretta 9mm.

M-Fine,

I've seen different SFG use some kind of accurized 45acp usually based off the 1911. The majority I've encountered still carry the Beretta however. They put much more emphasis on their long rifles.

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
They put much more emphasis on their long rifles.
Of course, If you know you're going to be in a gun fight, you don't want to bring a pistol.

Unfortunately, I don't have the build to carry a m-60 concealed :D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
In summary of my point, If it were legal and I had the motivation to, I could kill a deer with just about any caliber. I could also KILL (murder?) a person with any caliber, but when it comes to effectively stopping someone quickly, in less than ideal conditions, I am going to be much more selective about my firearm and ammo. It is my opinion, based on a lot of research by others, that there is a small but significant benefit to selecting a more powerful cartridge than 9mm, be it .40, .45 or one of the .357's. It is also my experience that even a smallish woman can easily handle any of these calibers with a little training and a properly fitting gun.
Yes I am a hunter, shooter etc. You name it. I guess my final point is if the person flinches with the gun they shoot because of recoil then they would be better suited to less recoil prone round. Being in a situation is only going to make the problem worse. Most women shooters I have met are not fond of pistols with heavy recoil this would include my wife. She is much more comfortable with a 9mm, or 357 in a medium frame. She hates shooting my GLOCK 21 or Kimber with full power .45 or +P loads and she won't touch my 41, 44, or 454.

We were watching "Open Range" last night and she texted me today and said she wants a shotgun of her own to keep by the bed when I am gone. Now if I could only get her to like beer lol :)

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Automatic, who needs one when you can shoot like this?:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
Automatic, who needs one when you can shoot like this?:eek:
I can promise you that I will never have the need to answer that question. The reloading one is real amazing, I don't think I could even empty the gun that fast, let alone load it and get back on target.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I can promise you that I will never have the need to answer that question. The reloading one is real amazing, I don't think I could even empty the gun that fast, let alone load it and get back on target.
Maybe if you practice real hard:)

I don't think I could shoot that fast with a full auto:)

majorloser

majorloser

The majority I've encountered still carry the Beretta however. They put much more emphasis on their long rifles.
That's probably the best advise. Take out your enemies before they get close enough to do harm to you. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should hook MikeC up with a Remington 700

Or better yet, a Barrett M82

I personally think his wife would LOVE the Barrett :D

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
I pitty the lawyer who has to explain to a jury how shooting someone at 1500 meters with a .50 BMG really was self defense!

"using the high quality 50 power scope, my client could clearly see the decedent was carrying a knife"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis