Time to buy a gun ... again

majorloser

majorloser

I pitty the lawyer who has to explain to a jury how shooting someone at 1500 meters with a .50 BMG really was self defense!

"using the high quality 50 power scope, my client could clearly see the decedent was carrying a knife"
Hey, might be a good defense over there with Mike. :D

"Long Range Preemptive Self Defense" :rolleyes:

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I pitty the lawyer who has to explain to a jury how shooting someone at 1500 meters with a .50 BMG really was self defense!

"using the high quality 50 power scope, my client could clearly see the decedent was carrying a knife"
And their response is "Yes the deceased was carrying a knife, but he was a butcher and worked in a butcher shop and was gunned down by some back yard sniper while carving prime ribs" lol

Whoops:eek:

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
As long as you get a bunch of vegans on the jury you should have no issues with shooting a butcher.

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
Oh,

Mike, make a decision and buy a gun or two! And DO NOT forget to post pics!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i'm decided on the HS-9 (9mm) and Taurus M627 tracker (.357) :)

still waiting for some paperworks that are part of the requirements to be submitted. after submission, there's a 2-3 week wait time.

there's also a gun show this november where they'll have all the guns on display and a minimum of 10% discount ... i'm still deciding if the 10% is worth waiting for.

edit: you guys are ABSOLUTELY sure the .357 can take .38spl bullets with no mods right?

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
edit: you guys are ABSOLUTELY sure the .357 can take .38spl bullets with no mods right?
Yes. In fact many police dpt and even the FBI carried .38 spcl in their .357's. The only difference is the .357 case is longer to keep you from putting one in a weaker gun designed for .38's. If you are confused by the number difference, the neck on a both cases is .379" and the bullets are .357". The older .38 was named after the neck dimension, the newer .357 follows the convention of naming the round after the bullet dimension. Don't even try to understand rifle naming conventions where a .303 is bigger than a .308.

BTW, see the 4th paragraph or so under history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
i'm decided on the HS-9 (9mm) and Taurus M627 tracker (.357) :)

still waiting for some paperworks that are part of the requirements to be submitted. after submission, there's a 2-3 week wait time.

there's also a gun show this november where they'll have all the guns on display and a minimum of 10% discount ... i'm still deciding if the 10% is worth waiting for.

Yes, a 357 magnum is really just a stretched out 38. You can shoot 38's out of a 357 but not vice/versa. Bullet diameter is the same just 38 cases are shorter. If you had a 357 super mag you could shoot all 3:) I have a set of reloading dies that are just that 38 spcl/357/357 super mag. However, depending on the gun you may find that 357 target loads may be more accurate but that is dependent on several factors so I would not not worry about it. :) You can also shoot 44 specials out of a 44 magnum, 45 long colts out of a 454 casull, and 45 LC and 454 out of a 460 smith and wesson magnum.

This is fairly accurate, but missing some info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Magnum

Last edited:
m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
How did this thread go on this long without mention of the ever popular .460 S&W? It is a fantastic self defense round provided that 1) you wear ear protection at all times, just in case, and 2) you are frequently in danger of being mugged or raped by a degenerate moose! :D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Here Mike, just for you. Not much of a difference really. However, the 357 develops nearly twice the energy of the 38 special.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
How did this thread go on this long without mention of the ever popular .460 S&W? It is a fantastic self defense round provided that 1) you wear ear protection at all times, just in case, and 2) you are frequently in danger of being mugged or raped by a degenerate moose! :D
I really want a 460 but I just don't like the smith. I am gonna get a freedom arms 454 because it is so damned good looking a gun:D

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
The .454. is way under powered for anything but squirrels. Get yourself a man sized gun :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
on the way to submit documents for the HS-9 (and payment) today.
if my paperworks are good, i should have it in 2-3 weeks.

the m627 has one extra document required that i don't have yet. too lazy to do it, plus that one store i went to only had the display unit available. i'm not too excited to get that, will locate other Taurus stores or choose another revolver. (or buy dual hs-9's and feel like Tomb Raider with dual two tone pistols) :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
additional question:

bought some dummy bullets.

.38 special plastic ones
and 9mm with built in springs

bought them because i thought i could dry fire the weapons if these dummy bullets were loaded. am i correct? i won't damage the weapon if these dummy bullets are used right?

i figure, getting to know the weapons without ammunition in them is a good way to "know" the pistols without being in danger.

V

Vracer111

Audioholic
additional question:

bought some dummy bullets.

.38 special plastic ones
and 9mm with built in springs

bought them because i thought i could dry fire the weapons if these dummy bullets were loaded. am i correct? i won't damage the weapon if these dummy bullets are used right?

i figure, getting to know the weapons without ammunition in them is a good way to "know" the pistols without being in danger.
You don't need any 'dummy' rounds to dry fire - you can dry-fire an empty unloaded pistol, they are designed for that. At least the manual says so in the pistols I've had (Ruger Mark III competition, SIG P226R, IWI 941 Jericho) and currently have (HK P-30)

The BlackHawk holsters are nice, the one for my HK P-30 helps out a lot whenever I'm at the range.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I went to the shooting range last weekend and shot a M1911 .45. It was pretty fun :D

Just thought I'd share that :p

T

tsand

Audiophyte
My favorite:

Manufacturer: Walther®
Model: P99AS Pistol
Manufacturer Number: WAP77010
Caliber: 9mm
Action: Semi-Automatic
Capacity: 15 rounds
Barrel Length: 4 inches