Time to buy a gun ... again

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
got these:
Blackhawk carbon fiber holster (with paddle and belt loop thing)

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97011-Shotgunner-Hearing-Protector/dp/B0002INNUO

http://www.surefire.com/EP4-Sonic-Defenders-Plus

got screwed with the prices though ... was charged about 20usd more for each of the items as compared to US prices. oh well. they have to make a buck.

did i do well with the stuff i chose?

what eye protection would you guys recommend? preferably online (more preferably amazon) :)
so these were bought impulsively, no price checking and stuff ... so i'm not exactly happy with them (price : product ratio)

so i capped it off with more slightly less impulsive buying:

Remington T-72 Shooting Glasses (Clear Anti-Fog Lens)
Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender Ear Protection, Medium
2x Blackhawk Double Row Mag Case 410600CBK
Peltor 97010 Ultimate-10 Hearing Protector
MAGLITE SP2210H 2-AA Cell Mini LED Flashlight with Holster, Silver

it's going to be a fun end of the year, with my online orders, aside from the ones listed above :)

Last edited:
m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
You don't need any 'dummy' rounds to dry fire - you can dry-fire an empty unloaded pistol, they are designed for that. At least the manual says so in the pistols I've had (Ruger Mark III competition, SIG P226R, IWI 941 Jericho) and currently have (HK P-30)

The BlackHawk holsters are nice, the one for my HK P-30 helps out a lot whenever I'm at the range.
Actually there are a lot of weapons that can be damaged by dry firing without a snap cap (dummy round) in the chamber. If there is a separate firing pin, especially an inertial design, it can over travel and jam, damage the pin, or damage the spring.

The general rule is to NOT dry fire unless the manual specifically says it is OK.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the taurus m627 is still out of stock, it could come in this weekend at the local gunshow (i'm going)

i asked around and there's another brand/model available in the specs i prefer [which is 4" barrel; stainless finish; .357/.38 spl]

Ruger GP100

ok here's the story:
i can afford the taurus now. but i read some bad reviews on taurus though now in retrospect, i'm not sure they were talking about revolvers.

the Ruger GP100 is slightly more than twice the price of the Taurus M627 for the same specs.

taurus = 569usd
ruger = 1227usd

is the ruger worth twice the price? if yes, i can save a bit more and buy that one.

edit: checking prices of s&w 686

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
s&w is only available in 6" barrel form = 1568usd

taurus 6"'er might be available sooner than the 4"er ...

my wife has held the 4"er (she said difference between the 2.5" and 4" was negligible) ... aside from the additional weight, 29oz to 40oz ... you guys think my wife can handle the longer barrel?

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=265&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=266&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

yes, another option is to wait ... but i already have the accessories incoming! even an extra (cheap UTG) holster for whatever gun i get next.

btw, got a magazine loader for the HS ... hopefully my thumbs will thank me. i've parked 16 bullets in two magazines for a few weeks now and 15 in another (impossible to get the 16th in) so the springs would give some more.

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
In my experience Ruger has been no nicer than Taurus, definitely not twice as nice. The S&W is a touch nicer than both (on average) but the biggest reason to pay more for one is probably the higher resale value, which is only a factor if you sell it.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
In my experience Ruger has been no nicer than Taurus, definitely not twice as nice. The S&W is a touch nicer than both (on average) but the biggest reason to pay more for one is probably the higher resale value, which is only a factor if you sell it.
i see. then i'll stick with Taurus. i'll go to the gun show, if i don't see anything i like better, i'll get the 4"er if it's available, if not, i'll get the 6.5"er so i can wrap this up.

cash saved is like hot potatoes ... it must get off the hands! :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
it's final! taurus tracker 627 4" downpayment and fees for paperwork are in.

now the wait begins! 1 month to 1.5 months (since the guns are in customs, then will next go to the police headquarters for ballistics)

now a new question:
gun safety seminar guy said: while the people do use .38spl in .357 guns, he said in theory, the shorter .38spl "explodes" a bit before the barrel (basically near the end of the wheel) and could be a source of wear and tear for something that wasn't designed for that. hmm. comments? opinions?

good thing i only bought a ton of 9mm's and .357's

Matt34

Matt34

it's final! taurus tracker 627 4" downpayment and fees for paperwork are in.

now the wait begins! 1 month to 1.5 months (since the guns are in customs, then will next go to the police headquarters for ballistics)

now a new question:
gun safety seminar guy said: while the people do use .38spl in .357 guns, he said in theory, the shorter .38spl "explodes" a bit before the barrel (basically near the end of the wheel) and could be a source of wear and tear for something that wasn't designed for that. hmm. comments? opinions?

good thing i only bought a ton of 9mm's and .357's
I'm not seeing an individual gun owner putting enough rounds through the barrel to be a concern IMO. I've shot thousands of .38s in .357s without seeing any cylinders getting "scored" by the shorter cartridge, despite having been told it "could" happen.

You may have to clean your chambers if you get sticky chambering/ extraction with .357s after using .38s but that's just part of good weapon maintenance.

majorloser

majorloser

I'd rather be shooting .357 all the time. You then become fully accustomed to how the weapon shoots. Shooting lesser rounds can lead to developing bad shooting habits, like improper grip and stance.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks will try .38spl and .357's and see how much kick difference they give

-

i think going to the gunshow was a bad idea.

i want this but it costs 11k usd + 4k for mods to change it to 9mm (so you can have the option of both 5.56 and 9mm)
http://www.israel-weapon.com/?catid={ED781BF5-92EB-43AB-BAC7-D89BFBC28144}

guess i'll have to settle for a colt m4 or hk mp5 :rolleyes:

all this for an "almost possible" zombie apocalypse :D

i did also see .22lr:
m4, mp5 and other automatic rifles available for sale to civilians
.22 automatic rifles ... hmm ... maybe if the zombies were about a foot tall.

Last edited:
m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
I would pass on the conversion kit. If you ever have a need for something like that, you are going to want the 5.56.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Actually .22 rifles are great for a zombie weapon. You can carry massive amounts of ammo around and they are deadly accurate. You can hit a zombie in the eyeball at 50-75 yards easy with a good scope.

Disclaimer: no other meanings encouraged or implied:D

p.s. Sorry Mike I tuned out for a while. I would have added that the ruger is built like a tank compared to the Taurus and Smith, but you made a good choice. I can't stand Smith's pistols so they would not even be on my list.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah the ruger was better built but the taurus just looked a lot meaner :)
the smith wasn't that much of an improvement over the ruger in build.

there's this last day of gun show tomorrow ... will do a final walk around on what else to pick up :D

S

spl_nut

Enthusiast
Mike

Consider this: "The most effective firearm in slowing attack is the 12ga".

"Good zombie, bad zombie, government created zombie, or alien zombie - 00 or slug is the only way to take them down."

All cited by reliable sources ;)

Mossberg 500A 8 shot!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
these shotguns are pretty affordable. maybe i should look into them :D

are there "auto" shotguns out there?

majorloser

majorloser

these shotguns are pretty affordable. maybe i should look into them :D

are there "auto" shotguns out there?
Zombies BEWARE
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/p4ebtj1jR7c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/p4ebtj1jR7c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
This is a Zombie shotgun, and a proven zombie killer I might add :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Zombies BEWARE
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/p4ebtj1jR7c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/p4ebtj1jR7c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
does that mean i can't have one of these? i'll pay? ;) yes, i'm in love.

Terry Crews from the movie Expendables showed that same special round, i thought it was hollywood BS, it's real! i even said, how can a shotgun "explode" the guard towers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis