18” down-firing EGG shaped sub build…

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Listen, I've been meaning to have a word with you about the lack of forward progress and now you tell me that you took 2 steps back? I don't know what you think this is mister but you better ... :p
(Mike puts his head down in shame and mumbles something about making it up to everyone somehow.)

... you gotta crack some eggs to make an omelet. :D
I'll need help eating this omelet. Do you have several pound of bacon you could bring over?

Sorry to hear about the setback. Take a deep breath and keep at it. What was the amp that you got? I just took a look at your sig and realized that you must have 2 projection systems. You're an AV glutton! Fine, I'm jealous. :eek:
Still breathing, still at it....

I got the Behringer EP4000. It should be more than enough for one little 18 inch driver.
I have two systems so that the wife won't try to take mine over. She's happy watching Judge Judy on the bedroom system. She doesn't even seem to mind the puny little 92" screen that's in there. :D

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
The egg is over 150 pounds (without the driver). We're gonna need a lot of those bacon cans.
Got any hash browns while you're at it? Maybe a few without the browns?:D

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Painted it again last night & took pics. The pics were loaded into Picasa but for some reason that folder doesn't show up here at work. I'll have to check to see if I didn't save it or something when I get home.
It looks pink now, but it looked pink the last two times as well. Once the paint dried it was more of a brownish red. Hoping for the same result this time.
Still not sure how I'm going to get this monster up the stairs. Been looking into renting one of those stair climbing dollies but haven't found one that suites my needs online.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
The bucket doesn't look wide enough. But I bet it would do a great job of chewing up the wooden steps.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If it's only 150 lbs I might come over and just carry the thing up the stairs for you. :)
Wrap it in a moving blanket and toss it over my shoulder ... :D
I'm not proud of it but I have easily had one night stands weigh in at more than that ... easily. :eek: :(

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not proud of it but I have easily had one night stands weigh in at more than that ... easily. :eek: :(
Oh that's right, she was the one that wrapped you in a moving blanket and carried you up the stairs.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The egg is over 150 pounds (without the driver). We're gonna need a lot of those bacon cans.
Got any hash browns while you're at it? Maybe a few without the browns?:D
What do you think about painting the legs without tipping it over and leave the bottom of them unpainted?
Hate to see you have to risk laying it on the soft paint. Just a thought.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
The paint dried. Last night I slapped on a layer of clear coat. Here is what it looks like. Once this dries it’s time to drag this bad boy up the steps. Once upstairs I’ll wire it up and add the driver. The last step will be adding black speaker cloth and it will be done.
Sure hope it ends up being worth all this effort.;)

Last edited:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
If it's only 150 lbs I might come over and just carry the thing up the stairs for you. :)
I may take you up on that. I'll see if I can get it up the stairs myself this weekend. If not, I'll be looking for help. It doesn't have a port so you may have trouble trying to pork it.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
What do you think about painting the legs without tipping it over and leave the bottom of them unpainted?
Hate to see you have to risk laying it on the soft paint. Just a thought.
Bottom? There's a bottom?:eek:

I finished painting the legs when I had it over last time. All the painting is done (barring any additional problems).

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Saturday morning I wrapped that rascal. First the cloth that my Onix Mini's came wrapped in. Then some plastic insulation that I use for the A/C units in the winter. Then the bubble wrap that the amp came in. Laid out the straps and I was ready to go. In the end, I ended up tying it to the hand cart and dragging it up the stairs. My back and legs are still killing me, but up the stairs it went.

Last edited:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
There was some damage though. Good thing it's on the back where no one will ever see it. There was no way I was repainting.

After getting it into the living room I needed to add the driver. I shouldn't have made the tolerances so tight. After struggling to get the driver to line up for several minutes it finally dropped in. Too bad my fingers were still in the way. Didn't slow it's 50 pounds down one bit though. I'm sure that nail will grow back eventually. :eek:

Last edited:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
It's quite a bit bigger than my Dayton 15" sub. Funny that it's called the Titanic. It seems so tiny now.

Last edited:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
It looks good in it's final resting place. It's not a perfect match to the Mini's but I did the best I could. So far it's not calibrated but I can tell that there are subsonics that weren't there before. I demoed Transformers 2. I could feel shaking that wasn't there before. It seemed to lack a little of the upper punch that the Titanic had, but that could be due to the lack of calibration. It certainly is more reserved for music but hits harder down low. Next weekend I'll pull out the Db meter and a test CD to see if I need a BFD. Still haven't decided if I want to put the Titanic to work behind the couch or not. We'll see.
For now, I'm very happy with how it's turned out.

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Congrats GM. Great job. I bet you are glad it is in the room and working. Keep posting your impressions as you tweak.

Cheers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis