18” down-firing EGG shaped sub build…

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Progress is at least being made.

After trying just about every red stain known to man, I gave up and went to paint. Stain was nice in that it let me keep the rings, but it also kept all the patchiness that comes with staining the edges of MDF.
We still had trouble finding a paint color we liked. 3 times we picked out a color to have it end up looking nothing like the sample at the store. Eventually we found this textured color & paint. It is still not perfect and the spottiness is still there in the picture, but it’s hard to see in person. Besides, it’s the imperfections that make it a work of art. (That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it)
It does look kind of cool with all the gold sprinkles in the clear coat though. The picture doesn't do it justice. Once this dries, I’ll paint the base & legs black. Should come out nice.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Any idea what it weighs?

It's looking more and more like a Cadbury egg. :D

Do you have any plans for measuring it's output?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Any idea what it weighs?

It's looking more and more like a Cadbury egg. :D

Do you have any plans for measuring it's output?
It weighs about 150 pounds without the driver. Maybe 20 pounds more with the 16 coats of primer, stain, paint & clear coats.:cool:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............... c-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e.... hmmmmmmm........

I plan on checking how level the output is to see if I'll need a BFD. The sub I have now is loud enough but is lacking below 25 htz. If this turns out to have a level output and a tight sound, I'll be a very happy camper.
I'm sure that an 18" driver with 2K+ wpc rms will be plenty loud for me.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I use the same thing even though I have REW, the mic and the mixing board. :eek:
Lack of brains is my excuse. :( :rolleyes:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When I see that thing I half expect it to split open and a face hugger will pop out :)

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I dated a girl for about a week in college that would probably like to sit on that... :eek:

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
When I see that thing I half expect it to split open and a face hugger will pop out :)
Mork from Ork flew this thing over from his home planet. I get to use it as a sub now that it's dead (out of fuel).

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I dated a girl for about a week in college that would probably like to sit on that... :eek:
I think I know her. She used to have this trick where she could make two wine bottles vanish.;)

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
After trying just about every red stain known to man, I gave up and went to paint. Stain was nice in that it let me keep the rings, but it also kept all the patchiness that comes with staining the edges of MDF.
We still had trouble finding a paint color we liked. 3 times we picked out a color to have it end up looking nothing like the sample at the store. Eventually we found this textured color & paint. It is still not perfect and the spottiness is still there in the picture, but it’s hard to see in person. Besides, it’s the imperfections that make it a work of art. (That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it)
It does look kind of cool with all the gold sprinkles in the clear coat though. The picture doesn't do it justice. Once this dries, I’ll paint the base & legs black. Should come out nice.
My what a lovely egg you have there.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
It weighs about 150 pounds without the driver.
Nice! Hope to see it all work out, and find out your impression and how it sounds.
How far do you have to move it?
I hope you don't have to get it up any stairs.:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis