DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
Is it just me or is this some of the most moronic marketing copy you've ever read:

Now the LS9 sensitivity is about 91db and the sensitivity of this sub is barely over 85. So we'll need to use two of them with double the power to get the same output levels, but lets set this aside too. Let's look at them as one speaker (one LS9) compared to one 12" sub. If we lay a 200 watt input on the 12" sub we only need about 50 watts of input on the LS6 to equal its output. But there are twelve woofers in the LS9 sharing the load so each woofer in the LS9 will only see 4.16 watts of power. Read that part again. Each woofer only sees 4.16 watts each. Now we send each of them a 25Hz note to play. The 12" sub with the 200 watt signal laid on it is playing very hard. It had to move way out there. It also has a lot of moving mass. The moving mass is 183.5 grams. That much mass put into motion has a lot of stored energy in the form of inertia. Suffice to say it takes it a while to stop.

Let's say that signal we sent was really a deep bass drum track. So we hear the initial strike of the drum but the decay of the drum is covered over by the much longer decay of the woofer. It goes boom, boom, hits real hard, but really sounds nothing like a real drum. The decay of the woofer totally smears the decay of the recorded drum. The LS9 on the other hand hit the same output level with each woofer only having to move a fraction the distance (less inertia) and the moving mass of each woofer is only 18.9 grams. By comparison the moving mass of the 12" woofer is nearly 10 times as much. So with the LS9 we hear the strike of the drum but now we hear the real decay of the drum and NOT the decay of the woofer. The LS9 plays it and stops immediately compared to the 12" woofer. It is not even close. It also takes more than three of the 12" woofers to equal the surface area of the twelve 6.5" woofers. Each of the LS woofers has a surface area of 137 sq cm. The 12" woofer has a surface area of 467.7 sq cm. Twelve of the LS woofers has a surface area of 1644 sq cm. So each of the twelve LS woofers has to move a much shorter distance to move the same amount of air. Big strokes (long excursions) also cause a lot more flexing of the cone (due to the air pressure loading on it), motor non-linearities, and much higher distortions. So the smaller woofers in the LS not only don't have to move as far, but have MUCH less mass, and on top of all of that will actually play lower than the 12" sub.

Now what would it take to match the speed and resolution of the LS9 in the low bass region using 12" sub woofers? First let's divide the input across 12 woofers (twelve 12" woofers) so that each woofer sees less power, has less distance to travel, and has less stored energy. 12 subs makes it even now right? We divide the load into 12 woofers on each speaker just like the LS9. Not really. Each of the 12 subs still has nearly 10 times the mass to move. The subs still have a lot more stored energy and inertia by comparison even though we reduced the amount of air (and travel distance) that each woofer had to move. I guess since we have nearly ten times the moving mass we can use ten times as many so that they only have to move 1/10th of the distance (this is a generalization). That will reduce the inertia to a level that it would be comparable to the LS9. Now we are close. Let's see now 12 subs per side times 10. That's 120 subs per side or 240 subs total. That might get you comparable sound quality.

G

geekinthehood

Audioholic Intern
Maybe the following is what you were looking for? It was a post by MLS on 11/29/07 that had to do with LS's.
Yep, that's the one. I'm curious which of those upgrades made it into my speakers, but at this point either I have them or I don't. Heck, I even wonder if it was all just a delaying tactic.

Oh, well.. I'm still happy with my speakers.

G

geekinthehood

Audioholic Intern
Is it just me or is this some of the most moronic marketing copy you've ever read:
It is, and it's always bugged me. I know what he's trying to say, but he says it SO BADLY. He should've just cut and pasted Danny's post about the same thing.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
On 03/16/2010

A document was filed with the Colorado Secretary of State which changed the registered agent for Perpetual Technologies from Suzanne W. Johnson to Mark L. Schifter. According to the Secretary of State, that means...

A registered agent receives mail on behalf of the entity and is the agent for service of process and other important documents. A registered agent can be either: an individual who is 18 years or older; a domestic entity having a usual place of business in Colorado; or a foreign entity authorized to transact business that has a usual place of business in Colorado who has so consented. Now, an entity can be its own registered agent. If a registered agent is not maintained or cannot be located, then the entity may be served by registered mail addressed to the entity at its principal office.
This may explain why Sean had to deal with MLS rather than Suzy when he filed small claims.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
A document was filed with the Colorado Secretary of State which changed the registered agent for Perpetual Technologies from Suzanne W. Johnson to Mark L. Schifter. According to the Secretary of State, that means...

This may explain why Sean had to deal with MLS rather than Suzy when he filed small claims.
Interesting. That means that if you want to serve a summons on the company, you will need to track down MLS.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting. That means that if you want to serve a summons on the company, you will need to track down MLS.
You could but according to this statement by them,

"If a registered agent is not maintained or cannot be located, then the entity may be served by registered mail addressed to the entity at its principal office."

you can just have it served at its principal office. 'Course, if he goes to prison that'll be his principal orifice.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
You could but according to this statement by them,

"If a registered agent is not maintained or cannot be located, then the entity may be served by registered mail addressed to the entity at its principal office."

you can just have it served at its principal office. 'Course, if he goes to prison that'll be his principal orifice.
That assumes that the registered mail is accepted and signed for I believe (of if not signed for at least not returned to sender unclaimed), but maybe the lawyers in the crowd can clarify. I wonder if this is a prelude to the end of AV321?

From USPS site...
When you’re sending valuable or irreplaceable items through the mail, protect them with Registered Mail™.

Items you send with Registered Mail are placed under tight security from the point of mailing to the point of delivery, and insured up to $25,000 against loss or damage. And you can verify the date and time of delivery and the delivery attempts online.

Last edited:
T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
I wonder if this is a prelude to the end of AV321?
I'm sure it was a pretty interesting "family" discussion which led to the change back to Mark. Suzanne probably stated that she'll stick through with hobbling the company along, but Mark would have to take on all the legal ties to the company itself. I'm sure she didn't care to have her name involved with the shenanigans that Mark has been pulling off for the past several years.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
I'm sure it was a pretty interesting "family" discussion which led to the change back to Mark. Suzanne probably stated that she'll stick through with hobbling the company along, but Mark would have to take on all the legal ties to the company itself. I'm sure she didn't care to have her name involved with the shenanigans that Mark has been pulling off for the past several years.
Sounds right to me. Wouldn't you like to be the fly on the wall for that discussion?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I did talk to one 'fly' sometime back and was informed that Suzy was kicking in money to keep the business afloat and that came from a meeting where Suzy herself blurted that out. Whether she still is who knows.

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
They also posted pictures of the BMF, Ref 200, RSL, Mini OW, Rocket 500, Xplosive, etc... I would take any picture they show with a HUGE heaping pile of salt.

tesseract

tesseract

Audioholic
They also posted pictures of the BMF, Ref 200, RSL, Mini OW, Rocket 500, Xplosive, etc... I would take any picture they show with a HUGE heaping pile of salt.
I haven't been over there in a while. This made me go look........ yep, they finally took down the RSL-II sticky. :rolleyes:

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
I haven't been over there in a while. This made me go look........ yep, they finally took down the RSL-II sticky. :rolleyes:
Wow. That would be a depressing sign if you had them on order. I know it seemed obvious for a long time, but that kinda seems like the nail in the coffin. I don't blame Suzanne for wanting her name off that company.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Let's all wish TADG / MLS a happy birthday!

I'm sure VA321 would love it if we all call and wish him a good one. ;)

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Let's all wish TADG / MLS a happy birthday!

I'm sure VA321 would love it if we all call and wish him a good one. ;)
I'll send him a e-card from home later this evening. I have the e-mail address that they utilized for selling their wares on Craigslist at home on my other computer. I'll have to spend a few moments thinking of a proper theme for the card, though. :cool:

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Maybe fax your birthday greeting?

(720) 494-1751

I think that's the right number

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I can't wait for all the birthday greetings to start showing up on AV451's site. I'm sure people like mfig, Dane, Techfan (I could've sworn that both he and his mother invested with MLS?), Larry D, all the members of TADG, and a few others will weigh in. But how exciting would it to hear from his 'brother' Santiago? And maybe Zeng Ming? What if Mr. Pu would say a few kind words? Maybe some former workers like Quintana, Sean, Ozmai, and some others? How nice it would be to see his wife, his sister and step-sister say something nice. Maybe even HWSNBN would be a treat that can't be beat. And all those orphans he helped in Khabarovsk? Why, here they are standing in abject reverence before the picture of Santa Shifty!

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
I can't wait for all the birthday greetings to start showing up on AV451's site. I'm sure people like mfig, Dane, Techfan (I could've sworn that both he and his mother invested with MLS?), Larry D, all the members of TADG, and a few others will weigh in. But how exciting would it to hear from his 'brother' Santiago? And maybe Zeng Ming? What if Mr. Pu would say a few kind words? Maybe some former workers like Quintana, Sean, Ozmai, and some others? How nice it would be to see his wife, his sister and step-sister say something nice. Maybe even HWSNBN would be a treat that can't be beat. And all those orphans he helped in Khabarovsk? Why, here they are standing in abject reverence before the picture of Santa Shifty!

I think the one on the far right corner must have found out his new Sub amp crapped out, or maybe he was just crapping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis