DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
There have been at least two members over there that PMd him and were immediately banned. I don't know if the mods are somehow filtering PMs or what. I also told him about this and included a few links, but of course they were deleted.
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they just set that name up to create hype and make it appear as though things are just normal. So basically it would be people PM'ing that guy are actually just PM'ing AV123. As slimy as that sounds, it is less slimy than reading other people's private messages. The whole post seems fishy given the timing.
Jed's analysis seems reasonable given the events that transpired.

matt34 is a class act and a good moderator. Matt, don't let that other guy bother you in the least. He chose his side and now he has to live with it. (Hint Chu wasn't his side)
I like matt34 very much. I have dreamed of him. Just kidding there guy! I have valued Matt's input very much and I thank him for that which he's done. He's been a stalwart man of decency and integrity, dealing with difficult personalities and that includes myself. Matt, I am deeply sorry for grief that I've caused you and from the bottom of my heart, thank you for what you've done.

While things have gotten ugly and still after all this, there remains turmoil, we have all become a little wiser. Unfortunately that means suspicious but this world has never been an idyllic paradise. We've got open eyes now and I think all of us are going to be calling companies on the BS that we see. May we never see anything remotely resembling that which resulted in the indictment.

I would like this thread to remain open for a longer period of time. It may be self serving but there are matters which I hope to outline over time - call it part of my investigations - which if I can present succinctly and methodically - will shed additional light on where monies went. Also, I hope to be able to present some sort of information regarding where monies may be which for those who are still owed money, may be able to obtain some sort of relief. Further, I hope to be able to suggest proactive approaches where those who have other issues such as refunds which were turned into store credit may also be able to obtain some relief. It is my strongest hopes that means people get their money back. But if it doesn't it may provide an avenue where you may be able to obtain compensation in the future and failing all that, you may be able to enlist the aid of the Colorado government with respect to obtaining some justice.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Craig has showcased himself and his company's website forum in an extraordinary way over this matter.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
There have been at least two members over there that PMd him and were immediately banned. I don't know if the mods are somehow filtering PMs or what. I also told him about this and included a few links, but of course they were deleted.
The whole forum seems to be a sort of ghostly shell of a place now. Frankly, that was an inevitable result of the policy that is directing the deleted posts, deleted thread, and banned members. The fact that they're trying so determinedly to suppress their company president's indictment and arrest just makes it all the more painfully obvious. Sadly, it will probably also prove effective with a small group of people.
But I will admit, I'll be thrilled to death if MS gets convicted or AV123 goes out of business. 'Cause I'll be the first one to delete this damn thread.
My vote would be to lock it and archive it somewhere when the time is right. It could offer several useful reminders in the future:

1. If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
2. If you want to deceive and steal from an entire community, be aware that it will most likely catch up with you at some point.

A

andy_c

Audioholic
For an interesting take on this matter, consider the discussion over at Secrets.
LOL!

"I was told that there are some lower end A/V forums out there that are piling on Mark Schifter with insults and accusations. This is what one would expect from the lower classes I guess."
That's hilarious! And that's the kind of comment I'd expect from a magazine that employs Jason Victor Serinus to review the magic bowls.

Last edited:
GirgleMirt

GirgleMirt

Audioholic
For an interesting take on this matter, consider the discussion over at Secrets.
eply by John E. Johnson, Jr
Frankly, the alleged deeds seem so out of character for Mark, I suspect this may be stress-induced behavior. I hope his counsel has Mark meet with doctors about this. Many years ago, when I worked for NIH in Baltimore, there was a doctor in our lab who was a visiting neurosurgeon from Japan. He had an MD, Ph.D. education and a very honored reputation in Japan. After being in the Baltimore lab for a year or so, he came under tremendous stress from having to deal with his boss there (not me), and all of a sudden, he began stealing computers, chairs, and even pens from the registration desk. NIH sent him home in disgrace, but it was always my feeling that stress caused him to do things that he would not ordinarily do and he should have been under a Psychiatrist's care, not sent home and be labeled a bad boy. Over the past several years, Mark Schifter has had to juggle the business of running AV123, and travel back and forth to Russia and China almost continuously. So much overseas travel really screws up your biological clock, and messes with your sleep patterns. This can cause severe psychological disturbances, and it is my theory that this is what has happened to Mark Schifter. Of course, I don't really know all the details, and my relationship with Mark has simply been to see him at shows and talk with him on the phone now and then, but I just cannot think this occurrence is in his nature. My approach to his court date would be to meet with the DA office, plead a case for temporary illness (not insanity - we are talking about just being pushed too far because of overwork and a biological clock that crashed), have him obtain medical treatment, agree to pay all the money to the charities that was promised (even though the charities didn't know they were supposed to get any donations in the first place), perform public service of some sort, be on probation for 10 years, rest and recuperate, and get on with life at a slower pace. I spoke with AV123 this morning, and everything seems to be marching ahead with normal business. I don't know if they will survive this or not, but I hope they do, because Mark produced some great products at terrific prices. Consumers need this kind of resource.
Temporary illness that lasted for a couple of years? Seriously? And he thinks the judge would buy that? Some people live on different planets...

A

andy_c

Audioholic
Temporary illness that lasted for a couple of years? Seriously? And he thinks the judge would buy that? Some people live on different planets...
A couple of years? The indictment goes back to Oct. 2004.

S

Shed

Audiophyte
Magic Bowls???

I wonder what would happen if I sat on one of those magic bowls.
Well, perhaps they would make a difference if you were able to smoke a certain high-grade substance from the magic bowls. But then you would probably need magic screens...

M

mziegler

Audioholic
If I did that I might start contributing to a Shifty defense fund.

O

obie_fl

Enthusiast
As one who goes back to the beginning of AV123 and who owns roughly two dozen of their products I really don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. I drank the Kool Aid pretty heavily in the early days but I saw the cracks in the veneer early enough that I didn't become blinded. I knew something was pretty fishy the last three or four years but I still can't believe how bad the situation got.

I hadn't really followed the whole raffle thing until the last few weeks as I hadn't participated since the first one or two and to be perfectly honest something just didn't "feel" right about them. I actually had a sense of guilt not contributing to Derek and Hugh's raffles but it just didn't feel right. I guess if I wanted to feel better about it I could have sent them money directly but it never occurred to me.

But the real reason I finally registered here is to offer my gratitude and thanks to Chu. Even though I didn't always understand or believe in his methods I now see the method to his madness. The only way that man could be stopped is by what finally transpired. Thank you Chu.

I also have to give Kudos to Gene and the staff here at Audioholics for allowing this go on.

I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to my good friend gonk, I can't think of anyone I respect more in this little patch of audio cyberspace.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Gonk is tremendous. I have trusted gonk with much over the course of this and he has shared much with me. He is wise, insightful, and has always provided sage advice. Sometimes I even took it and showed moderaton and restraint :) It is said, the best way to keep a secret among three friends is if two of them are dead. That may be but gonk kept all my secrets. He's a great man to know and I hope to know him better.

Harmon

Audioholic Intern
Well, for the first time ever I have been banned from a forum. Can't tell you which one but the initials are T.C.A. ;)

Apparently, someone doesn't like to be challenged. :rolleyes:

M

mziegler

Audioholic
Well, for the first time ever I have been banned from a forum. Can't tell you which one but the initials are T.C.A. ;)

Apparently, someone doesn't like to be challenged. :rolleyes:
Was an "offending" post deleted, or did you get into it via PM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis