TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Pioneer elite signature series pro 101fd

What do you guys think of this one ? Its like 3999.99 not many around but its only a 50" .You guys think thats to small since im going from a 61" ?

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
What do you guys think of this one ? Its like 3999.99 not many around but its only a 50" .You guys think thats to small since im going from a 61" ?
You can get the 500M for half the price (assuming you can find one?!?).

Both are basically the same thing (They have deeper black levels compared to all other 9G Pioneer Plasmas when playing a source) but the 101FD Models have more inputs, an extra year of warranty and easier to get the ISFccc modes unlocked.

TheFactor

TheFactor

That is not good price at all for that set.
Yes it seemed a bit high for a 50" but theres not many around and the ones I saw ranged from 3799 and up but not to sure about some of the vendors. The Place that had it for 3999 had a descent rating . But I think a 50" from a 61" might be to big of a drop in size even though its a big step up in PQ.

TheFactor

TheFactor

You can get the 500M for half the price (assuming you can find one?!?).

Both are basically the same thing (They have deeper black levels compared to all other 9G Pioneer Plasmas when playing a source) but the 101FD Models have more inputs, an extra year of warranty and easier to get the ISFccc modes unlocked.

Yes theres not many of any of them around that I could find anyway . Whats the 500mm ? is that still a 50 " ? I've seen a few 60" and that would be perfect but there not the elite just says Kuro .

C

clouso

Banned
you seem to be going for a plasma and dont change your mind!.. dont do the same mistake as i did..i bought a toshiba led (local dimming) earlier in 2009 and got it back and exchanged it for the panny 54g10 because of the ''blooming'' issue..maybe blooming is not an issue anymore with led i dont know but anyway since i have the plasma i can tell you that this is the best display iv never had so far and unless another technologie like maybe oled comes out at decent sizes and pricing plasma is still the king! :D

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Repeat after me........"There is no replacement for displacement" :D
Do NOT go down in screen size, you will not be happy.
Find yourself a Panny 58 or 65 V10 and be done with it. They really are the best bang for your buck right now.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Find yourself a Panny 58 or 65 V10 and be done with it. They really are the best bang for your buck right now.
I thought that motto was only used for subs.....:p. I talked my brother into buying the s1 58". To bad our prices aren't inline with those stateside but overall the prices around here have come down, however the 58" v10 still sells for >3k.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Yes theres not many of any of them around that I could find anyway . Whats the 500mm ? is that still a 50 " ? I've seen a few 60" and that would be perfect but there not the elite just says Kuro .
Yes 500M is 50", 600M is 60", and they have the exact same panel as 111/151/141. You are right that prices have gone up from the bargains of yesteryear. Try bookmarking this page, and check in every once in a while for pricing.

http://www.bestbuypcs.com/cat--Kuro-Friday--kuro.html

I have to tell you that the 65V10 in person is VERY impressive because of its size.

There's always the 65 S1. However, just me, but my biggest compromise there would be 3:2 pulldown, and not the colors. After all, the colors can be dialed in much better, but nothing you can do to bypass pulldown. But, if it saves you thousands . . . tough call.

TheFactor

TheFactor

you seem to be going for a plasma and dont change your mind!.. dont do the same mistake as i did..i bought a toshiba led (local dimming) earlier in 2009 and got it back and exchanged it for the panny 54g10 because of the ''blooming'' issue..maybe blooming is not an issue anymore with led i dont know but anyway since i have the plasma i can tell you that this is the best display iv never had so far and unless another technologie like maybe oled comes out at decent sizes and pricing plasma is still the king! :D
Every once in a while I get a Led Itch but you guys keep me on the Plasma path . Thanks for the Advice and I really appreciate it .
Yes sir you are correct I just needed to hear it :) It will be a 58 or 65 for sure !! :D

Yes 500M is 50", 600M is 60", and they have the exact same panel as 111/151/141. You are right that prices have gone up from the bargains of yesteryear. Try bookmarking this page, and check in every once in a while for pricing.

I have to tell you that the 65V10 in person is VERY impressive because of its size.

There's always the 65 S1. However, just me, but my biggest compromise there would be 3:2 pulldown, and not the colors. After all, the colors can be dialed in much better, but nothing you can do to bypass pulldown. But, if it saves you thousands . . . tough call.
Yup. So IMO you should definitively get a 60" (or bigger ;) ) Plasma. :)

You know was thinking about the 65s1 but not only for the price but theres a few more around localy. Your wright theres about almost a 1800 price difference between the s and the v in a 65" . I wonder if i'll really be able to se the difference :confused: Im probably a weekend or two away from pulling the trigger so I better decide lol . But Atleast you guys like I said are keeping me on the Plasma path when I start wander a little off the path . Thanks for that link to i'll keep a eye on it for sure :)

TheFactor

TheFactor

How much picture quality do you guys think i'll loose if any from the 65" compared to the 58" ? I'll only be around 12 to 14 feet away .

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
How much picture quality do you guys think i'll loose if any from the 65" compared to the 58" ? I'll only be around 12 to 14 feet away .
Assuming 20/20:

At 14 ft, you get some benefit of 720p with either 58/65, but neither display will give you the full benefit of 720p, and forget 1080p.

At 12 ft, you get about the full benefit of 720p with 58, and you just start appreciating the beginnings of 1080p with the 60.

To get the full benefit of 1080p from 14', you need a screen that is larger than 110".

To get the full benefit of 1080p from 12', you need around 90".

Check this chart.

THX recommendation will give you even bigger viewing angles than that, at the expense of softening the pic a bit. IOW, if you want it so that it's like you are sitting in the middle of a theater, assuming 16:9 AR, you would have a 125" screen at 14', or 107" from 12'.

Then there are others here, elsewhere, myself included, who opt for an even greater viewing angle, but people like me only watch bluray (even HDTV signals are not good enough), and that's also after considering that most movies have AR's that are smaller than 1.77:1, such as 1.85, 2.00, 2.35+, etc.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Sorry this reply was suppose to be to your post and I replyed to BruZZi's post instead lol :eek: Anyway ....You know was thinking about the 65s1 but not only for the price but theres a few more around localy. Your wright theres about almost a 1800 price difference between the s and the v in a 65" . I wonder if i'll really be able to se the difference Im probably a weekend or two away from pulling the trigger so I better decide lol . But Atleast you guys like I said are keeping me on the Plasma path when I start wander a little off the path . Thanks for that link to i'll keep a eye on it for sure :)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Assuming 20/20:

At 14 ft, you get some benefit of 720p with either 58/65, but neither display will give you the full benefit of 720p, and forget 1080p.

At 12 ft, you get about the full benefit of 720p with 58, and you just start appreciating the beginnings of 1080p with the 60.

To get the full benefit of 1080p from 14', you need a screen that is larger than 110".

To get the full benefit of 1080p from 12', you need around 90".

Check this chart.

THX recommendation will give you even bigger viewing angles than that, at the expense of softening the pic a bit. IOW, if you want it so that it's like you are sitting in the middle of a theater, assuming 16:9 AR, you would have a 125" screen at 14', or 107" from 12'.

Then there are others here, elsewhere, myself included, who opt for an even greater viewing angle, but people like me only watch bluray (even HDTV signals are not good enough), and that's also after considering that most movies have AR's that are smaller than 1.77:1, such as 1.85, 2.00, 2.35+, etc.
Ok I was thinking the bigger the display you would loose Picture quality because it was spread out more so you should be farther away :eek: Guess I had it all wrong if im understanding it correctly but I do confuse easily :D Thats why I thought the seating position might be to close with a 65" but guess I figured wrong. I'll have to study your post a little more . Thanks for the indeph discription , now if I can just get my brain to comprehend all that i'll be good to go lol .

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Ok I was thinking the bigger the display you would loose Picture quality because it was spread out more so you should be farther away :eek: Guess I had it all wrong if im understanding it correctly but I do confuse easily :D Thats why I thought the seating position might be to close with a 65" but guess I figured wrong. I'll have to study your post a little more . Thanks for the indeph discription , now if I can just get my brain to comprehend all that i'll be good to go lol .
You're welcome. I probably shoulda just kept my mouth shut, and just let you look at the graph. x-axis for size, y-axis for distance. Where they cross is the rez you can discern.

Anyways, yes, you pretty much want the biggest you can get. Of all the things that bluray gives us, I personally think the visual resolution has the greatest impact. It's what lets us go big to begin with. Remember, 1080 has about 6x the resolution of 480. There is a greater percentage difference in horizontal lines of resolution between bluray and dvd, then there is dvd and VHS!

IOW, even the Panasonic 103" plasma is not too big for you, but more likely perfect. Yeah, I know, sports car price tag.

S1 vs V10. The more you watch HDTV, the less you will care about 3:2. The more you watch BD/DVD, the more you will care about it. IOW, if you watch 60% TV, 20% gaming, and 20% movies, I'd save the money for sure.

However, it's with someone like me who uses the display for 100% movies that would be in a tough bind there. What I would personally then do is simply wait for the right display at the right price. You may not be as willing to do that, so I can only wish you good luck.

There is no doubt that the S1 is a better value, IMO. However, I just would do my best to avoid 3:2.

You can possibly look at last generation's tv's, like the 800u and 850u, but depending on the exact price, it may not be worth it. The current gen is supposed to be a notch better, and even if these models bypass 3:2 with 48hz, that refresh rate induces flicker for some people. OTOH, some would say the flicker is just more similar to the cinematic experience in a theater.

The V10 does it at 72 hz, so no flicker to our eyes.

48 = 24 (film) x 2.

72 = 24 x 3.

You see, if fits neatly, no "3:2".

Don't read the following: 120hz that you see a lot is accommodating because both 24 and 60 (video) fit perfectly as fractions. (However, lots of 120hz TVs are sorta BS, because they turn film/24 into 60 first by USING 3:2, and then simply doubling or 2:2 as they say). I mention all that just in case you didn't know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis