J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
It looks like my local BB and all in my state are out of stock on all Panny v10's :confused: Im wondering if the next shipments will be the 2010 models . Im going to have to check it out this weekend and maybe take a trip to video only and see whats going on.
My friend ordered a 65V10 directly from Panasonic, via the "friends and family" program. I think it might have took him months to get it. Ok, if not a couple of months, pretty darn close to it, and that's coming from Pana Direct. During that time, and you can see some chatter about it at the AVS V10 thread, there was a serious dearth of this model for some reason unknown to me. Weird.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
My friend ordered a 65V10 directly from Panasonic, via the "friends and family" program. I think it might have took him months to get it. Ok, if not a couple of months, pretty darn close to it, and that's coming from Pana Direct. During that time, and you can see some chatter about it at the AVS V10 thread, there was a serious dearth of this model for some reason unknown to me. Weird.
I'll have to check that thread out thanks but I even checked avaiability on the sammy 8500 led/lcd 55" and theres none around either all out of stock at all BB in my state. Thats leaving me to beleive maybe some of the 2010 models might be coming sooner then we think . I've found some online distributers that have the Pannys but dont think I really want to buy a plasma online .

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I've found some online distributers that have the Pannys but dont think I really want to buy a plasma online .
I understand that fear. However, there are a few online vendors that I would definitely trust.

Cleveland Plasma

Here's the AVS rep's profile.

Or Panasonic Direct, albeit at $200 more dollars (really $300, but free shipping; Cleveland charges $100 shipping).

6th Ave sells at the same price as Panasonic.

I would see what Value Electronics can do for you. I GREATLY appreciate the shootouts they have done, whether BDPs, or TVs. I think they've done it at Cleveland once in fact, can't recall exactly. And guess what? The President and Founder is a member here. ;) Ask what he has available.

Robert's Audioholic Profile:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/member.php?u=10091

D

dllb

Audiophyte
He got lucky and it went out 2 days:eek: before his warranty expired. He's getting a new panel.
Probably the "Paymore TM" chip was uncalibrated on this one :p.
My brother with his Sony Bravia wasn't as lucky: It went out a few days after the warranty expired!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
TheFactor, I haven't yet seen my friend's TV yet. Funny, I've been over three times, to help him out, move his crap, stuff like that, and after all that, no invite. :p Well, he does work like a dog.

I'm quite certain that his display is up to date with FW, because of when he bought it, and I am even more certain yours should be. But, just in case, for reference to V10 FWs, I tracked down an email I sent to him about 1.5 months ago. But, because that was six weeks ago or so, and I haven't looked into this stuff ever since, the info below may very well be outdated, and perhaps even inaccurate. I dunno.

It's possible that the easiest way to update your TV is to directly ask Panasonic to send you an SD card with the proper fixes.

It looks like version 1.20 is the main fix, the biggest offender are the Greens, due to secondary color cyan being pushed too close to blue. CNET also corroborated this info and they added that they also blamed this to make a blue sky reflected in water as too dark, in addition to the greens issue.

Version 1.25 will fix HDCP "handshake" issues, but I think this is very specifically for Onkyo only, and therefore will never be dispersed freely so that joe 6 packs don't unnecessarily cause more trouble for nothing.

Version 1.28 is the latest firmware, and there is a lot of talk about FW being cumulative vs non-cumulative. It appears this might be mainly for VieraCast. I believe it *might* be possible to update FW with VieraCast, and people are waiting.

Here are some of the resources I've been using:

THX Color Decoding Fix for G10/V10. (There are already 600 posts)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1186568&page=20

single post
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=17563066&postcount=366

single post
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=17564555&postcount=379

TheFactor

TheFactor

TheFactor, I haven't yet seen my friend's TV yet. Funny, I've been over three times, to help him out, move his crap, stuff like that, and after all that, no invite. :p Well, he does work like a dog.

I'm quite certain that his display is up to date with FW, because of when he bought it, and I am even more certain yours should be. But, just in case, for reference to V10 FWs, I tracked down an email I sent to him about 1.5 months ago. But, because that was six weeks ago or so, and I haven't looked into this stuff ever since, the info below may very well be outdated, and perhaps even inaccurate. I dunno.
Thankyou that info will come in handy when I get one . I found a place locally that quoted me a price of 2199 for the 58" v10 and 3199 for 65" hmmm that 65 might work for me but......... neither are in stock but they said they will get more and only a couple of people have orders on both but in order to reserve one I need the full amount of the price in advance :eek: I wont be ready to pull the trigger for about a week or 2 at the latest . So guess i'll have to check availability then but I did find a 65" new in the box but its 800 dollars more 3999 and dont know if they'll do a price match on something not in stock. So anyway it appears they'll be more 2009 models shipped from panny so thats good news :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Those are good prices. FYI, even if the 2010 models were just about released, the largest models always seem to take the longest to arrive. Like August? I think that's when the 65ers come out.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Those are good prices. FYI, even if the 2010 models were just about released, the largest models always seem to take the longest to arrive. Like August? I think that's when the 65ers come out.
Yes I thought those were good prices to but I dont like paying for something not in stock and not knowing a time frame when they'll have them . Hopefully though when I have the cash in hand they'll have some or more info. Patience has never been one of my assets :eek: If they still have the one new in the box at the other place for 3999 I might buy it :eek: but ouch that hurts just thinking about it as far as the price difference and dont know if I could forgive myself lol

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
I paid 2199 for my 58V10 about two months ago. I was very happy with the price!

TheFactor

TheFactor

I paid 2199 for my 58V10 about two months ago. I was very happy with the price!
Yes thats a very good price about 500 less from everywere else i've seen . I just hope they get some more in within the next couple of weeks .

TheFactor

TheFactor

Thanks everyone for your input its very much appreciated :) You all have made very good points on both sides . Im actually still leaning towards the Panny V10 but there are some other things im considering. One is having to move the Plasma across state because it is possible I might be moving later next year for business reasons and im worrying about the weight of the plasma and it getting damaged on the move. Im not sure if im moving or not so I dont want to wait to get a new display . I know the 8500 will be a lot lighter to move and probably less prone to getting damaged because of that "at least thats what im thinking anyway " also the off angle viewing wont be a issue for me because I will be pretty straight on when viewing and I checked off angle viewing at best buy and it looked pretty darn good to me .With the Plasma i'll probably need a new stand because of its weight along with my center channel if I go with 65" plasma at around 145 pounds plus my center channel im looking at around 245 pounds unless I go with the 58 there about 114 pounds so thats 214 either way not sure if my current stand can hold the weight and dont want to chance it so probably get a new stand if I go plasma . I really really like the Panny V10 though but those are some of the things im considering now .

manofsteel2397

manofsteel2397

Audioholic
Thanks everyone for your input its very much appreciated :) You all have made very good points on both sides . Im actually still leaning towards the Panny V10 but there are some other things im considering. One is having to move the Plasma across state because it is possible I might be moving later next year for business reasons and im worrying about the weight of the plasma and it getting damaged on the move. Im not sure if im moving or not so I dont want to wait to get a new display . I know the 8500 will be a lot lighter to move and probably less prone to getting damaged because of that "at least thats what im thinking anyway " also the off angle viewing wont be a issue for me because I will be pretty straight on when viewing and I checked off angle viewing at best buy and it looked pretty darn good to me .With the Plasma i'll probably need a new stand because of its weight along with my center channel if I go with 65" plasma at around 145 pounds plus my center channel im looking at around 245 pounds unless I go with the 58 there about 114 pounds so thats 214 either way not sure if my current stand can hold the weight and dont want to chance it so probably get a new stand if I go plasma . I really really like the Panny V10 though but those are some of the things im considering now .
well if you are possibly moving i would keep the box and all the pakaging that the tv comes with and you would lessen the chances of damaging the set.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Plasma all the way, I don't care what anyone says.

Note that plasma screens are more durable than LCD screens. Plasma uses a thick, strong glass, and an LCD uses a very thin, flexible layer to protect the liquid crystals. At least to my knowledge, that's how it was for a long time.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Plasma all the way, I don't care what anyone says.

Note that plasma screens are more durable than LCD screens. Plasma uses a thick, strong glass, and an LCD uses a very thin, flexible layer to protect the liquid crystals. At least to my knowledge, that's how it was for a long time.
Your just a plasma diehard :p ;) :D Your probably wright though:) Also I have another concern about the break in period and been reading that you have to run some kind of break in slides or something:confused: for so many hours before you can play normal materials like movies and such . Is that correct and how many hours do I have to watch break in slides on a plasma before I can enjoy it ?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Not exactly correct, you can start enjoying it immediately.

People run slides because, you know, because they read about it and want to give their plasma some love. There is no evidence laid out that I know of that says it's better.

The idea is that the phosphors wear out the very quickest at the beginning, and over its life the wear is slower and slower. I mean... if you are nuts, you could re-calibrate every 1000 hours, just like um, some people change their oil every 1000 miles in their sports vehicle.

IOW, you can just opt to run the tv for whatever they say, 120 hours, 200 hours, etc, before you run your calibration. (So, that's the main point; the slides just help for best wear in evenness, but . . . would I do it? I dunno TBH).

Hey, I've just been researching a little bit on calibration devices+colorimeters+software, which would probably be $3k plus, and the main benefit for me would be to dial down some oversaturated green. Hey, it's totally nuts, but I was figuring out if there was a way I can give my display some love. Don't take what crazy people do as the bare minimum by any means. REMEMBER: just the fact that you will even calibrate ONCE is already more than what 99% of what people do!! :eek:

Cheers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis