ONKYO Declines warranty don't buy it.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
Well, I am just posting to help new receivers buyers. Make my bad experience your gain, brother. Just go with some other brand. And not ONKYO. its been year in a half I am trying to get my $700 receiver fixed. After 6 month of use, It would shut off sound all the sudden and won't be back for 20 minutes. Contacted ONKYO, and sent it out to authorized service center (shipping cost $55) 10 days later comes back with no work order, nothing. I said I don't care as long as it works. Plugged it in, and no sound :( wasn't fixed.

Contacted ONKYO, after sending my invoice, they said, they won't help,since its initially shipped to my work address, it could be used for commercial purposes therefore warranty would be only for 90 days for commercial use. I told them I own that company and all my shipments comes to my work.. The whole chain of mail conversation is so senseless you wouldn't believe. She asked me why I used the company card and shipped to company.. My goodnees..

Here is the exact wording about their policy.
"Products used continuously or for commercial applications are not covered with long term warranty. Onkyo products are intended for consumer use and are not designed for continuous or commercial use. In the event that the products concerned have been used commercially or continuously, the warranty period is limited to 90 days from the date of purchase. "

I could not proved that It was in my home for personal use and not in my shop. Since its shipped to my shop, they considered commercial use. Its just another trick from onkyo to not to fix my $700 receiver that got broke in 6th months. Seems like, Onkyo products are not designed for continuous use and they are not commercial grade. A sales person did not warn me about these limitations of this brand. Also If it’s been shipped to company name, it could be considered to used commercially and could not be honored warranty after 90 days ???? I think consumers should be aware of that. What do you think?:confused: I will be happy to email whole e-mail conversation if anyone interested to see it..

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Yikes, that kinda sucks....

You can't prove that it wasn't used commercially, and they can't prove otherwise. Hmmmm...

If you had talked to a salesperson and didn't buy it from said salesperson, then you really can't blame the guy from which you got a free service. Now, I suppose thats an assumption that you demoed the receiver, got your advice and then purchased at a cheaper price online. Maybe you didn't?

Its also an obligation to know the warranty limits, but is a loophole I would never expect a manufacturer to use.

I'm not at all saying you don't have a valid complaint and I really appreciate the info and education you've provided. It's also why I try to avoid purchasing some things online. Again, not your fault, I'm just sayin'.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
Yikes, that kinda sucks....

You can't prove that it wasn't used commercially, and they can't prove otherwise. Hmmmm...

If you had talked to a salesperson and didn't buy it from said salesperson, then you really can't blame the guy from which you got a free service. Now, I suppose thats an assumption that you demoed the receiver, got your advice and then purchased at a cheaper price online. Maybe you didn't?

Its also an obligation to know the warranty limits, but is a loophole I would never expect a manufacturer to use.

I'm not at all saying you don't have a valid complaint and I really appreciate the info and education you've provided. It's also why I try to avoid purchasing some things online. Again, not your fault, I'm just sayin'.
No they asked my receipt to begin with, I bought from newegg for $699 plus shipping, and they are authorized. So ONKYO didn't have noplace to escape but resolving it. Well they escaped the place it shipped. Plus this is not a coffee machine or personal soap dispenser that "continuous use 'thats the word' would override the warranty. I mean, what if you turn on your receiver in saturday morning and use it all day and nite? You burned it due to the continuous use?? therefore no warranty??? thats just insane. Shipped to my workplace which is a computer store, we repair computers, instead of enjoying continiously watched DVD's hifi 7.1 superior Audio DVD's.. I mean who would put a $700 AV receiver to computer repair store? We don't even have a TV ! plus lets say I did !! that would be enough to kill this AWESOME ONKYO STATE OF THE ART RECEIVER? because its used in computer store and not home? what commercial use you could think for an AV receiver that would be different use than home? NONSENSE ! it would be used less actually at work, since at home, the kids, the wife, the father, kids friends, nanny, then at night me, family etc.. Maaan.. I am about to lose my mind. :))))

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
That's not cool at all, let say you used your home address to ship it back, now your not at home you miss the Ups guy twice now you have go pick up from the Ups center that's a hassle nobody needs that. Here's what you do for next receiver you buy, take pictures of you using it at home with captions saying here I am watching a movie and here I am playing video games. They need to use common sense of course your going have it sent your shop so that way you know you got it and they know it. Instead of playing hide and seek with Ups in my most humble but right option.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
You may not have heard about Onkyo's (in)famous Customer Service. Some of the most rude people in the business from what I've heard.

Next time try Harman Kardon - some of the best in the business. I know - I've dealt with them once with an Infinity sub - when they didn't have a refurbished PS212 to send for replacement (they paid shipping back to them!) I expected a refund from my ebay purchase. Instead I get an email with a tracking number and explaining they were sending me a brand new PS212 to replace the one that died. Thats great customer service.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Now that's how customer service is suppose to be done.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That's hard to believe

maybe you could try calling again and seeing if you can get a better rep. Sometimes you just get a bad apple. What model is the receiver?

HK receivers have their faults, but the CS is generally decent.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In these situations, the burden of proof should be on Onkyo, not you. I think Onkyo would have a more legitimate complaint if it had been charged or registered to a company card, but since it was a individual, they should have just taken care of it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Scratch that penny pincher company from my list of potential AVR vendors. If customer service sucks that bad, I have no interest in dealing with morons like that. Matter of fact, I have a friend looking for a new receiver and I did recommend him looking at the Onkyo. I'll point him to this thread and recommend not purchasing from them.

I've had yet to test the waters and hopefully I'll never have to but Yamaha seems to have a really good customer service reputation from what I've read.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
That really is BS, to deny warranty coverage because it was shipped to a business. Anyone could have a receiver shipped to a home address, then take it to a business location and leave it on 24/7. Is suggest small claims court a viable option?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So am I to assume you bought the Pioneer 2 months ago because of this?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
She asked me why I used the company card and shipped to company.. My goodnees..
IMHO, charging it on the company card is the most damning aspect of your situation. Certainly, there is no better way for a vendor to determine if it was used commercially if they are unwilling to trust the customer.

Shipping stuff to a business place to reduce shipping costs or to insure someone can sign for it is far too common of a practice for a vendor to use it as proof of commercial use. I will continue to have my stuff requiring signature delivered to work.

That said, it is disappointing that they consider you dishonest by default. Good Customer Service would be to cover it "this time" and warn you for the future.

Thanks for sharing the information.
Lesson learned - Any business owners should use their personal card to make the distinction between home and business use on items which may have warranty concerns.

That's my 2 cents.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Have you contacted Newegg about this, to have them go to bat for you?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That really is BS, to deny warranty coverage because it was shipped to a business. Anyone could have a receiver shipped to a home address, then take it to a business location and leave it on 24/7. Is suggest small claims court a viable option?
no way he wins. He bought it with the company card therefore it's a commercial product. I'd see it that way too.

His best bet is to keep barking. Eventually he might get his repairs done.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
Just received an email from them

maybe you could try calling again and seeing if you can get a better rep. Sometimes you just get a bad apple. What model is the receiver?

Just received an email they are saying since its billed to company, my warranty was limited to 90 days. it was under the warranty code 14 which says "continuous use and commercial use voids warranty" I will try to call newegg and complain them.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
Now that's how customer service is suppose to be done.
I sent my ONKYO to be repaired to ALLBRITE in houston, they shipped back, they didn't even touch it. and I heard repair centers are not fixing ONKYO's because they are unable to get their money.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
You may not have heard about Onkyo's (in)famous Customer Service. Some of the most rude people in the business from what I've heard.

Next time try Harman Kardon - some of the best in the business. I know - I've dealt with them once with an Infinity sub - when they didn't have a refurbished PS212 to send for replacement (they paid shipping back to them!) I expected a refund from my ebay purchase. Instead I get an email with a tracking number and explaining they were sending me a brand new PS212 to replace the one that died. Thats great customer service.
Without question. Onkyo's reputation blows. I sent a question through their bot service concerning an function 'issue' they were having with a then, current run of receivers. It took them 4 months to get back to me with a half baked response. The decision was easy from that point forward to know who I wasn't going to do business with.

DJ

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern

Naah I am dealing with the service and warranty admin via e-mail.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I sent my ONKYO to be repaired to ALLBRITE in houston, they shipped back, they didn't even touch it. and I heard repair centers are not fixing ONKYO's because they are unable to get their money.
That's not a good sign. If I were a shareholder of Onkyo stock, I'd be selling on news like that, and possibly setting up some short positions.

DJ

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
In these situations, the burden of proof should be on Onkyo, not you. I think Onkyo would have a more legitimate complaint if it had been charged or registered to a company card, but since it was a individual, they should have just taken care of it.
The card used has the company name right under my name, but the thing is the company is mine, so every card that I use has my name and my company name on it. I buy stuff for myself or for the company, using the same card. I keep my book strait and thats nobodys business. I don't think I have to send them copy of my QuickBooks data to show it was under the "shareholder distribution expense account" I mean this is a nasty trick to not honor the warranty.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis