ONKYO Declines warranty don't buy it.

BigSkreen

BigSkreen

Junior Audioholic
They would have a hard time proving that it was used continuously, no?:D
And, that brings up the definition of 'continuous.' Is it 24/7? 12/7? 12/5 or greater? 4hrs 5 days a week?:eek:
I say you follow in their shoes and define continuous as 24/7/365 since you bought it. If you turn it off even once that wouldn't be continuous in my mind.

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
What if you run a business out of your home and use the receiver continuously throughout the day, every day... would that void the warranty?
As long as the billing address is not company address? and its not paid by any card that also writes the company name that you own and proudly wanna display everywhere... you are good. I doubt any other brand will use these tricks to get outta service repairs. I tell ya man, Its a weird company. One thing I noticed, Everybody I dealt with was female. I mean I don't wanna alarm ladies in this beautiful community but, I had a mail conversation with probably 5 different representative and all of them were female. I'm thinking maybe these people just got together from a "HATE MAN" club or something. Think about it, ONKYO has the worse service and support, who takes receivers to repairs? man. Who buys it? Man. Who doesn't authorises it ONKYO? that makes it right there.. plus call me old school if you want but, I don't see my wife nor my girlfriend (correction: ex-wife) being a receiver guru's etc, how many female friends you have that appreciates a perfect 7.1 receiver with 5 HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outs? Or a perfect Pioneer Pro151 plasma? I mean lets face it. I guess what I am coming to is, I don't think anyone that I dealt with were capable of understanding the importance of the receiver and how it couldn't be used commercially or continuously etc. I don't know man. They should hire more man that can understand the pain man. Which female can understand not having a receiver for more than 2-3 days? People waiting their receivers to be fixed for months !! Anyway was a long day and I am tired, got little off topic maybe.. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
As long as the billing address is not company address? and its not paid by any card that also writes the company name that you own and proudly wanna display everywhere... you are good. I doubt any other brand will use these tricks to get outta service repairs. I tell ya man, Its a weird company. One thing I noticed, Everybody I dealt with was female. I mean I don't wanna alarm ladies in this beautiful community but, I had a mail conversation with probably 5 different representative and all of them were female. I'm thinking maybe these people just got together from a "HATE MAN" club or something. Think about it, ONKYO has the worse service and support, who takes receivers to repairs? man. Who buys it? Man. Who doesn't authorises it ONKYO? that makes it right there.. plus call me old school if you want but, I don't see my wife nor my girlfriend (correction: ex-wife) being a receiver guru's etc, how many female friends you have that appreciates a perfect 7.1 receiver with 5 HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outs? Or a perfect Pioneer Pro151 plasma? I mean lets face it. I guess what I am coming to is, I don't think anyone that I dealt with were capable of understanding the importance of the receiver and how it couldn't be used commercially or continuously etc. I don't know man. They should hire more man that can understand the pain man. Which female can understand not having a receiver for more than 2-3 days? People waiting their receivers to be fixed for months !! Anyway was a long day and I am tired, got little off topic maybe.. :)

so the credit card defines the use? :eek: Scarey sh?t and and loophole for a corp to hide behind IHO

G

gazelle

Audioholic Intern
so the credit card defines the use? :eek: Scarey sh?t and and loophole for a corp to hide behind IHO
This is her exact wording in the mail. She is the Warranty / Service Administrator

----
Please let me explain to you in a different manor. Yes the units are not meant to be use commercially, this is why Onkyo has a Pro line. and as for the ship to the warranty is not is question because of who the unit is shipped to . Warranty is for the purchaser and since this was purchased by a company this is the problem . You can purchase a product and have it shipped to you job, but is you are using a company credit card to pay for that purchase then it is commercial use.

Diane Pettersen
Warranty / Service Administrator
Onkyo USA Corporation
(201)785-2631 (Direct)
(201)785-2600 (Main)
(201)934-7823 (Fax)

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
This is her exact wording in the mail. She is the Warranty / Service Administrator

----
Please let me explain to you in a different manor. Yes the units are not meant to be use commercially, this is why Onkyo has a Pro line. and as for the ship to the warranty is not is question because of who the unit is shipped to . Warranty is for the purchaser and since this was purchased by a company this is the problem . You can purchase a product and have it shipped to you job, but is you are using a company credit card to pay for that purchase then it is commercial use.

Diane Pettersen
Onkyo USA Corporation
(201)785-2631 (Direct)
(201)785-2600 (Main)
(201)934-7823 (Fax)
This is probably a numbers game that most companies play. They threaten not to cover the product assuming the buyer will do nothing and go away. But chances are if you actually file in small claims court the will probably go ahead and service the unit because sending a lawyer to small claims court would be more money and bad press. Companies play this game year in and year out.

I would at least see if you can get a lawyer to look at your situation and see what they have to say.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall

----

Diane Pettersen
Onkyo USA Corporation
(201)785-2631 (Direct)
(201)785-2600 (Main)
(201)934-7823 (Fax)

This pretty much confirms what I have been thinking all along. The fact that it was purchased with a corporate credit card, which by definition means that the company is buying it, is leading Onkyo to believe that it was purchased for corporate use. From a CS point of view, I'm not sure how/why Onkyo is supposed to believe anything else.

As somebody who has carries a corporate card for my job, we've always been told not to use that card for purchases related to corporate activities.

To those of you who think Onkyo is being sneaky, let me ask you this- if your business sold a product to a client who purchased it with a company credit card and shipped it to a corporate address, wouldn't you believe that it was for corporate usage? I cannot understand what other conclusion Onkyo could possible come to.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

It's not a loophole- it's a very easily defensible policy for a corporation to protect themselves against consumer fraud.

jinjuku

jinjuku

This pretty much confirms what I have been thinking all along. The fact that it was purchased with a corporate credit card, which by definition means that the company is buying it, is leading Onkyo to believe that it was purchased for corporate use. From a CS point of view, I'm not sure how/why Onkyo is supposed to believe anything else.

As somebody who has carries a corporate card for my job, we've always been told not to use that card for purchases related to corporate activities.

To those of you who think Onkyo is being sneaky, let me ask you this- if your business sold a product to a client who purchased it with a company credit card and shipped it to a corporate address, wouldn't you believe that it was for corporate usage? I cannot understand what other conclusion Onkyo could possible come to.
I am a small business owner. There are all sorts of reasons that I may purchase something on a corporate credit card:

1. The perk awards
2. Longer grace periods
3. With my corp Amex I get the warranty extended

The reason that I may have it shipped to work:

1. I want someone to sign for it
2. I don't want a $700 box sitting on my stoop all day
3. I get to inspect the package for damage

Credit card is a method of payment. Not use. Shipping address is an issue of security and convenience. Onkyo at the very least should have taken the cover off the thing and let a bench tech deny the warranty coverage instead of what amounts to a Bureaucrat.

This is BS.

jinjuku

jinjuku

By they way I am purchasing my kitchen suite on my Corp Amex card for the doubling of the warranty. I hope the manufacturer doesn't fight any warranty claims:rolleyes:

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I am a small business owner. There are all sorts of reasons that I may purchase something on a corporate credit card:

1. The perk awards
2. Longer grace periods
3. With my corp Amex I get the warranty extended

The reason that I may have it shipped to work:

1. I want someone to sign for it
2. I don't want a $700 box sitting on my stoop all day
3. I get to inspect the package for damage

Credit card is a method of payment. Not use. Shipping address is an issue of security and convenience. Onkyo at the very least should have taken the cover off the thing and let a bench tech deny the warranty coverage instead of what amounts to a Bureaucrat.

This is BS.
I'm not disagreeing with anything that you said. I understand why people use corporate credit cards for personal purchases, and why you'd have something shipped to work. I have items shipped to work all the time if they need to be signed for.

That said, as a business owner yourself, if a customer ordered a product with a corporate credit card and had it shipped to their business, wouldn't your assumption be that the item was being purchased for corporate purposes?

I don't think it's right to vilify Onkyo for coming to that conclusion based on the factset that they have.

On other note- my wife works for Amex in the corporate card business, when I get a chance later I'll ask her a few questions about corporate card usage. I'm personally curious about how perks like extended warranties work for personal purchases, and if Amex has any right to deny those warranties. Not that I think they would, but you never know what's in the fine print!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Visa offers extended warranty for purchases made with a visa card, and it doesn't have to be a corporate card. Not sure if it applies to all visa cards, but I think it does, I know it does with my Chase Amazon.com visa card. Maybe the OP can check with the credit card company to see if they offer some type of warranty protection, and could have it repaired that way.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Find the state that Onkyos corporate HQ is in and contact that states Attorney General Office. I have had disputes with companies about five times and written the AG and each has been resolved to my satisfaction.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I got a 7,500 Pioneer RPTV for 1099 on a misprinted ad, a 700.00 Sony HTIB for 99.00 on false advertsiing picture and two Monster AVS2000SS retail 1799.00/ea for 299.00/ea all by contacting their states Attorney General. When those companies wanted to argue with me. Include proof with disputes.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
It makes me laugh and roll my eyes a bit when people gripe about customer service. I've had a handful of wonderful experiences with ONKYO.

No matter how bad customer service might be, the customer as a whole will always be worse. I HATE how some customers treat the folks behind a service desk and expect to be treated with respect.

OP, I appreciate your efforts to warn us about your experience and while it sucks for you, you're not in the right. You had access to the warranty information before your purchase, and under the circumstances of the purchase, your warranty period was made clear. How in the world is that ONKYO's fault?

The continuous use part has no bearing whatsoever in this case. The "commercial" part is what applied to you. You bought it with a company card, and shipped it to your company. What other deduction can be made by a manufacturer? If they want to handle each and every situation as an anomaly, then we can expect to pay a whole lot more for product.

Sorry about your situation, but no chance it stands up in court and no way your gonna sway the onkyo faithful.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I got where I don't like Onks anymore, they seem to always leave grout haze...:D
Sorry about your situation, but no chance it stands up in court and no way your gonna sway the onkyo faithful.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic

----

Diane Pettersen
Onkyo USA Corporation
(201)785-2631 (Direct)
(201)785-2600 (Main)
(201)934-7823 (Fax)
If that is an exact cut and paste of her email reply I am appalled that Onkyo has such a semi-literate individual representing them. Evidently - the you English is not was her is native language written manor. ;) :eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Try to cut her some slack, Phil. It's tough to type while your f***ing somebody...over. :D

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm not disagreeing with anything that you said. I understand why people use corporate credit cards for personal purchases, and why you'd have something shipped to work. I have items shipped to work all the time if they need to be signed for.

That said, as a business owner yourself, if a customer ordered a product with a corporate credit card and had it shipped to their business, wouldn't your assumption be that the item was being purchased for corporate purposes?

I don't think it's right to vilify Onkyo for coming to that conclusion based on the factset that they have.

On other note- my wife works for Amex in the corporate card business, when I get a chance later I'll ask her a few questions about corporate card usage. I'm personally curious about how perks like extended warranties work for personal purchases, and if Amex has any right to deny those warranties. Not that I think they would, but you never know what's in the fine print!
Which is why neither of our opinions matter. If the OP wants to take this to small claims it is the Judges opinion that matters.

If the OP shows up with a neighbor or friend that has been to his house to watch a movie all powered by said Onkyo then I believe he would prevail in the relaxed conditions that small claims courts are usually ran.

I have been in small claims enough to know that the OP would have a decent shot at it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis