Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I bought it in early 07, I think. I don't believe it's a 64bit computer and don't know how to check. I just thought it was weird that the system was only recognizing one and a half sticks of RAM.

Control panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> System

Then click the general tab and the operating system will be listed there.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Katie Couric ...

really screwed up he eye make-up tonight.

Later,

Forest Man

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
(since this is the boring thread...)

Option D.

Open start menu, in search field type 'cmd', when the command prompt opens, type 'mem'. It will give you the reading in bytes, so 1,048,576 B = 1 MB

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
(since this is the boring thread...)

Option D.

Open start menu, in search field type 'cmd', when the command prompt opens, type 'mem'. It will give you the reading in bytes, so 1,048,576 B = 1 MB

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:D

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Screen shot for your viewing pleasure:

Wow, I almost missed all the geek talk! :D

Matt, your processor is a Core 2 Duo so you have a 64-bit capable system, however, it is not worth recognizing the extra gig of ram to install XP-64. It is really not mature enough to use for everyday stuff, IMO. I would probably just stick with what you've got.

If you upgrade to Windows 7, however, it should recognize all your ram regardless of whether you choose 64 or 32 bit, because they got it bumped up to 4 gigs for the 32 bit version. However, I would still recommend you go with the 64-bit if you do upgrade. :)

EDIT: You're playing World of Warcraft? I am a recovered WoWholic. It almost made me get a bunch of B's one semester, which would have killed me, so I had to go to rehab. I haven't played in a few years, but I have to stay away, just like Alex from cigarettes. ;)

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
XP 32 versus 64

Collapse this tableExpand this tableArchitectural component
64-bit Windows 32-bit Windows
Virtual memory 16 terabytes 4 GB
Paging file size 256 terabytes 16 terabytes
Hyperspace 8 GB 4 MB
Paged pool 128 GB 470 MB
Non-paged pool 128 GB 256 MB
System cache 1 terabyte 1 GB
System PTEs 128 GB 660 MB

====

Windows XP
If you have Windows XP, there are two methods to determine whether you are running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version. If one does not work, try the other.

Method 1: View System Properties in Control Panel
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.
Note <Year> is a placeholder for a year.
Method 2: View System Information window
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type winmsd.exe, and then click OK.
When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, locate Processor under Item in the details pane. Note the value.
If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows.
If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with ia64 or AMD64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows.

Bottom line you might need to upgrade to 64 bit version as low as $59
http://www.bestpricedsoftware.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10&gclid=CIKuleqZiZ4CFSXyDAodtyP5rA

Good Luck!

Forest Man ( a former IT guy :eek: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt34

Matt34

Wow, I almost missed all the geek talk! :D

Matt, your processor is a Core 2 Duo so you have a 64-bit capable system, however, it is not worth recognizing the extra gig of ram to install XP-64. It is really not mature enough to use for everyday stuff, IMO. I would probably just stick with what you've got.

If you upgrade to Windows 7, however, it should recognize all your ram regardless of whether you choose 64 or 32 bit, because they got it bumped up to 4 gigs for the 32 bit version. However, I would still recommend you go with the 64-bit if you do upgrade. :)
I was going to pick up Windows 7 while I was getting the RAM but Best Buy didn't have any full-install software in stock, it was all the upgrade stuff.:rolleyes:

strube

strube

I was going to pick up Windows 7 while I was getting the RAM but Best Buy didn't have any full-install software in stock, it was all the upgrade stuff.:rolleyes:
You actually are okay with the Upgrade now. 7 won't actually let you do a upgrade from XP - it makes you do the full install anyway, so fortunately, that will save you some cash! :)

Matt34

Matt34

You actually are okay with the Upgrade now. 7 won't actually let you do a upgrade from XP - it makes you do the full install anyway, so fortunately, that will save you some cash! :)
I want to do a fresh install on mine though....and the wife's computer as well since she is running Vista. I'm not going to be able to do that with the Upgrade version, correct?

majorloser

majorloser

Warning

Vista needs accessories to complete the installation:

(curved side toward hard drive)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't mind Vista one bit. I got the 64-bit version specifically so that I'd have the ability to use more than 3GB of RAM, but I haven't installed more than three, yet.

strube

strube

I want to do a fresh install on mine though....and the wife's computer as well since she is running Vista. I'm not going to be able to do that with the Upgrade version, correct?
No, you can to a fresh, re-format, full install with the upgrade product from Vista or XP. There is honestly no reason to ever buy a full retail version of Win7 (it is just a way to get more money for consumers that don't have good info really). If you build a computer yourself, you buy the OEM version (which does not include tech support from Microsoft, as if anyone would need that - that's what forums are for :D), otherwise the upgrade is the only thing you ever need, and you get tech support with that too.

I suppose if you were putting it on a computer that you got on fleabay that had an illegal copy of older Windows and you really wanted the tech support there would be a reason to do it, but other than that...

EDIT: You should also check this out for sure - if you are okay with the Home Premium edition (I think it is probably okay - it isn't like the old days of XP home vs pro - 7 pro just has some extra office network security and backup features, and I recommend a separate backup program anyway):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/offers/windows-7-family-pack.aspx
(includes 3 licenses and both 64 and 32 bit install discs)

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Three pages of computer boring? :eek:

Somebody break out the golf speak. Sheesh! :D

Hey everybody, I took a nap! Careful though, don't anybody fall out of their chair! :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey everybody, I took a nap! Careful though, don't anybody fall out of their chair! :)
Try to give some warning next time, will ya? I darn near passed out.

Time to go munch some pizza pockets.

strube

strube

Try to give some warning next time, will ya? I darn near passed out.

Time to go munch some pizza pockets.
I'm hungry, but it is snowing and slick outside - I don't know if leaving the office is worth not being hungry, considering there isn't anywhere nearby that I can stuff my face...

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis