Welcome to the Jungle

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
The money has got to like that place ...

very nice "jungle"

... Cheryl is the real boss :D H'mmm

I'll post some recent pictures of the cabin tomorrow :)

later .. taeccare <sic> Alex

Forest Man

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Looking good Alex.:D:D

Will the new speakers be going in this room or somewhere else? (like my house):)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Will the new speakers be going in this room or somewhere else? (like my house):)
Thanks Craig. The new speakers will go into our computer room/man town. Our living room just couldn't handle all the hardware those speakers need. Besides, I need something for me to play around with while Oprah and General Hospital are on. ;)

... or are you asking me to move in? :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I got the amp and rear surrounds in.

I got it all working and set the gains using Dolby D + IIx as it appears on my rec'r. I was in such a hurry to get it all working that I forgot that I wanted to go from my receiver's L + R pre outs to the EQ and then to the amp for the L + R mains. Right now I have the DVD player's L + R analog outs going to the EQ and then off to my receiver's CD input. Clever, huh?

That's okay, I needed something to do today anyways and I guess while I'm at it I can put the amp in the DVD player's spot and slip the DVD player under the center channel.

I meant to say that I needed something to do for the rest of the week. Oh, one cool thing I did was to use the remote wire to activate the timed and switched settings on the power center. Now when I turn the rec'r on the subs, amp and EQ all fire up. I had that on manual activation before because I wanted to be able to easily turn the subs off. I got sick of having to get up. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
My Latest Go Round

Well here it is, a little closer to just right ...
Even the guy on the screen is crying tears of joy for me. :D

The back ...

For Seth ... ;)

In the above photo the DSP PCB is the one in the middle on the right towards the back. That's where my .047 Farad 5.5V capacitor that holds my memory lives. It's no longer working right and wants me to go in and replace it. I'll admit it ... I'm scared. :eek:

One day when I grow up and get a big boy rec'r with HDMI to replace this one, I will dive in ... but not now.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is that a 2200 serving as the stand for your center?
No, it's a 1920. My g/f got it for me for Christmas about 4 years ago because the BB banana head said it was an audiophile's dream come true. I really have enjoyed deciphering the manual these long years. It's probably my favorite piece of gear. :)

If you look at the first pic's you'll see that with a little oak cantilevering it served as the stand for my rec'r up until a couple of days ago. :eek:

When I say that it's built like a tank I mean it's built like a tank. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... and a little rosin core solder :D
That took me a minute but it's about the capacitor for the memory, right? I have a cheesy soldering set up like that one from my electronics shop. That's not the problem. That top PCB is covering my target PCB and it is attached to everything. My target PCB is also attached to everything. It was Sunday, I didn't have the part and I wanted to get my system back together.

I want lead solder. I solder two things a year and am not worried about exposure to lead. Is that stuff still available? I bet TLS has a steamer trunk full of it along with enough R-12 refrigerant to solidify the nitrogen in our atmosphere. :D

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Use rosin core! 63 Sn / 37 Pb

That took me a minute but it's about the capacitor for the memory, right? I have a cheesy soldering set up like that one from my electronics shop. That's not the problem. That top PCB is covering my target PCB and it is attached to everything. My target PCB is also attached to everything. It was Sunday, I didn't have the part and I wanted to get my system back together.

I want lead solder. I solder two things a year and am not worried about exposure to lead. Is that stuff still available? I bet TLS has a steamer trunk full of it along with enough R-12 refrigerant to solidify the nitrogen in our atmosphere. :D
"KIDNEYS MAN KIDNEYS" as he points to his head ... good memory ;)

All of solders made of tin (Sn)/lead (Pb) except hard solders used fro brazing ( Zinc and Sliver) which have higher \melting temperature.

Tin/lead solders, also called soft solders, are commercially available with tin concentrations between 5% and 70% by weight. The greater the tin concentration, the greater the solder’s tensile and shear strengths. At the retail level, the two most common alloys are 60/40 Sn/Pb which melts at 370 °F or 188 °C and 63/37 Sn/Pb used principally in electrical work.

Flux is a reducing agent designed to help remove impurities (specifically oxidised metals) from the points of contact to improve the electrical connection and mechanical strength. The two principal types of flux are acid flux, used for metal mending and plumbing, and rosin flux, used in electronics, where the corrosiveness of acid flux and vapours released when solder is heated would risk damaging delicate circuitry. Acid core is nasty , it makes thecircuit board look like a mandrill's rear.

Use rosin core! 63/37

Later,

Forest Man

P.S. - make sure connection is physically secure befroe soldering and the solder joint should be "shiney"; non-"shiney"= coldsolder = bad electrical conduction.

P.S.S. - Pretty good explanation after drinking :D ; wait a minute all I had was ice tea tonight ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
60/40 is probably what is on there now, I would imagine, or if you sent it out, that is what they would use too. I don't think it will be an issue, since it isn't a moving part unless you decide to use a sub as your next rack :)

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Alex with the new designation TLS gave you, you will be able to figure it out :D

Forest Man

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
She Has Two Holes

I could really run with this. :D

It's an Acoustic Research ARS300.
I'm about to take it apart but I just had to post this. :)

A manual would be nice ... :eek:

I'm curious about the A/V switch in the front. Does the crossover actually cross the speaker level outs or is it just a low pass. Any known issues/fixes? It appears to be like 9/10 and it was $100. I haven't decided what to do with it yet ... other than take it apart. :)

It might go into mantown that isn't pictured in this thread but it's my little 2 channel set up with the AR phonograph ... after I take it apart. Or it might replace my Infinity Stack pictured in this thread. The Infinities might make it into mantown or they might get placed in the rear corners of our living room pictured in this thread for some of that nearfield love.

I should be doing like 20 other things right now but this brings me the most pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
What is that little thing, a pocket sub?:eek:

I could really run with this. :D

It's an Acoustic Research ARS300.
I'm about to take it apart but I just had to post this. :)

A manual would be nice ... :eek:

I'm curious about the A/V switch in the front. Does the crossover actually cross the speaker level outs or is it just a low pass. Any known issues/fixes? It appears to be like 9/10 and it was $100. I haven't decided what to do with it yet ... other than take it apart. :)

It might go into mantown that isn't pictured in this thread but it's my little 2 channel set up with the AR phonograph ... after I take it apart. Or it might replace my Infinity Stack pictured in this thread. The Infinities might make it into mantown or they might get placed in the rear corners of our living room pictured in this thread for some of that nearfield love.

I should be doing like 20 other things right now but this brings me the most pleasure.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis