Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize?!?!

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
White people can know what it's like to be black? That's news to me. Don't be ignorant; this isn't racism, it's just obvious.

We're talking about dealing with racism of a specific caliber. It's quite easy to just claim that I'm making racist statements because I'm talking about race. Ignoring race as a factor altogether is simply being ignorant; racial inequalities exist, period. Until we can accept that we are, in fact, different (even if it's just the color of our skin), then progress can't be made. We first need to acknowledge differences, and then accept those differences as superficial. "I don't see color" makes the problem worse; it puts blinders on towards a problem.

I never said a white person could know what it's like to be black. Only that they can understand racism. Don't be so obviously ignorant.

Am I wasting my time trying to reason with you? Should I just let you be?

It's easy for me to state that you are making racist remarks, because that is what you are doing.
Who is ignoring race? I'm only saying that it doesn't make a person good or bad, or unable to understand something. No one here has said anything about racial inequalities not existing. Only that we can understand. Do you get that yet?

You are the only one so far saying that someone can or can not understand something based on the color or their skin. Can't you see how racist that is?

S

Schupo

Banned
You are the only one so far saying that someone can or can not understand something based on the color or their skin. Can't you see how racist that is?
When you're talking about understanding what it's like to have a certain skin color, then it isn't racist to say "you wouldn't know what it's like because you're white". Can you see how basic this is?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
When you're talking about understanding what it's like to have a certain skin color, then it isn't racist to say "you wouldn't know what it's like because you're white". Can you see how basic this is?
Sure can, but never said that. I said that I can understand what it's like to be treated unfairly because of the color of my skin. Really very basic difference but you keep missing it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
White people can know what it's like to be black? That's news to me. Don't be ignorant; this isn't racism, it's just obvious.

We're talking about dealing with racism of a specific caliber. It's quite easy to just claim that I'm making racist statements because I'm talking about race. Ignoring race as a factor altogether is simply being ignorant; racial inequalities exist, period. Until we can accept that we are, in fact, different (even if it's just the color of our skin), then progress can't be made. We first need to acknowledge differences, and then accept those differences as superficial. "I don't see color" makes the problem worse; it puts blinders on towards a problem.
There's a big difference between ignoring a difference and refusing to let it be a problem in someone's mind, speech and actions. For a person to be racist, they would place one "race" above another or all others, in their opinion. What they do about it will be different from one person to another. Accepting differences should be the goal but defining them is a big problem because some will always see the shortcomings of some as their basis for their argument. If all of a group were dumb as a bag of hammers, that's one thing but refusing to believe that some of that same group are absolutely brilliant after interacting with only a small number is where many come to a bad conclusion.

The "Different=bad" idea needs to go the way of the dinosaur. All groups I can think of need to improve- none will be perfect but improving would be a great goal.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord

Park a nice, new car in central ward Newark and go for a walk while well dressed at night for a few hours dressed well and then tell me you don't know what prejudice is, if you can walk.

R

redass

Junior Audioholic
Park a nice, new car in central ward Newark and go for a walk while well dressed at night for a few hours dressed well and then tell me you don't know what prejudice is, if you can walk.
you don't think there is any difference between a ghetto neighborhood and an entire nation's institutional past, including the laws and the culture? one made somebody a second tier citizen in every way, the other is just a bunch of broke asshats who most likely represent a small percentage of the local population. granted, I don't think most places are that bad today, but that supporter of segregation and steaming pile of human feces strom thurmond was still in office as a united states senator in 2003; it was not that long ago.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
you don't think there is any difference between a ghetto neighborhood and an entire nation's institutional past, including the laws and the culture? one made somebody a second tier citizen in every way, the other is just a bunch of broke asshats who most likely represent a small percentage of the local population. granted, I don't think most places are that bad today, but that supporter of segregation and steaming pile of human feces strom thurmond was still in office as a united states senator in 2003; it was not that long ago.
racism is racism, prejudice is prejudice, hatred is hatred....

It doesn't matter the source or the target. For anybody thinking that whites don't know what its like to experience any of those things then you're mistaken or ignorant.

I'm effing sick of a society today where my generation has to somehow "right" the wrongs of our country's past. I didn't do anything to anybody, quit telling me that I don't have the right to feel discriminated against and that it isn't real.

S

Schupo

Banned
I'm effing sick of a society today where my generation has to somehow "right" the wrongs of our country's past. I didn't do anything to anybody, quit telling me that I don't have the right to feel discriminated against and that it isn't real.
This is where you're mistaken! It isn't our country's PAST. It's our country's PRESENT. Racism is still alive and well in so many aspects of our society and government. Institutionalized racism is not a thing of the past.

You're right on some things; I don't owe anybody anything for racial inequality. I didn't do a thing. Reparations are bull. But like redass said, Strom Thurmond was a senator up until just a few years ago. Everything isn't fine; Rush Limbaugh is one of the most popular radio hosts on the airwaves, and he's so blatantly racist it's disgusting. Bill O'Reilly, too. If our racism was really in the past, these two would be on the streets.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
This is where you're mistaken! It isn't our country's PAST. It's our country's PRESENT. Racism is still alive and well in so many aspects of our society and government. Institutionalized racism is not a thing of the past.

You're right on some things; I don't owe anybody anything for racial inequality. I didn't do a thing. Reparations are bull. But like redass said, Strom Thurmond was a senator up until just a few years ago. Everything isn't fine; Rush Limbaugh is one of the most popular radio hosts on the airwaves, and he's so blatantly racist it's disgusting. Bill O'Reilly, too. If our racism was really in the past, these two would be on the streets.
Racism is most definately not a thing of the past. I see it in many ways in many places. Often it's the unspoken kind that hurts the most. Progress has been made, but there is still more to go.

Oh, and Rush is an idiot.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

You can also thank folks like Al Sharpton who have based their entire career on turning any issue involving a minority into one of discrimination weather it was warranted or not. I see racism every day working for the fed, it's called affirmative action.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You sure like living in the past, don't you?

And, you obviously know nothing of the neighborhoods to which I refer. Yes, racisim is still strong and healthy in them, but not from the parties you wouls like to believe. If you doubt me, try it.

Then again, there 's Bed/Sty in Brooklyn if Newark isn't to your liking. Or perhaps East Orange or Camden in NJ.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
racism is racism, prejudice is prejudice, hatred is hatred....

It doesn't matter the source or the target. For anybody thinking that whites don't know what its like to experience any of those things then you're mistaken or ignorant.

Every generation's adults look back at the next generation's kids and act like they're disappointed, shaking their heads and saying "There goes a future President" and every generation has to fix the previous generation's screw ups. As much as people revere the generation who fought, died and sacrificed during WWII, that generation taught the next generation about life, work, and a lot of other life lessons, including the bad attitudes and ideas about people they didn't like for one reason or another.

Re: "your generation has to somehow "right" the wrongs of our country's past."- Yours isn't the first that felt that others expected them to do this and it won't be the last. Be happy you aren't trying to make amends for parents who owned slaves or gassed millions in the death camps of WWII.

Very few unbiased people exist, IMO. Some act on this and some don't but when someone does, anyone who could be a target can be, under the right circumstances.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Re: "your generation has to somehow "right" the wrongs of our country's past."- Yours isn't the first that felt that others expected them to do this and it won't be the last. Be happy you aren't trying to make amends for parents who owned slaves or gassed millions in the death camps of WWII.
To be fair, I didn't specifically mean "my" generation. Sometimes its difficult to convey one's feelings in a text format. I meant the generalization that all of us have to make up the for the mistakes. I also meant specifically that it seems whites will be in debt to blacks for their actions in the past.

Matt mentioned affirmative action. While I'm not so naive to believe that without it things would be perfectly fair, but I do think that in some ways its equally unfair that it does exist. There are jobs, grants, and scholarships that I can't qualify because of the color of my skin. I can't think of any that I qualify for that another race couldn't. Thats not fair.

S

Schupo

Banned
You can also thank folks like Al Sharpton who have based their entire career on turning any issue involving a minority into one of discrimination weather it was warranted or not. I see racism every day working for the fed, it's called affirmative action.
Al Sharpton can kiss my ***.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Maybe and another motive for awarding NNP?

I have read through this who thread, albiet most of it off-topic, and haven't seen this thought mentioned ...

The follwing idea has been dicsussed on various talk shows, but I haven't seen it mentioned here. I give it some credence, but would like to hear other Audioholic's thoughts on the subject:

Is it possible that Barack Obama was given the NPP to influence the outcome of the Afghanistan war and possible futures world conflicts ?

... after being named NPP recipient ... it would influence that world leader, Obama, would NOT increase the troop count significantly, 40,000 as General McChrystal has requested and basically annihilating Afghanistan ... not the move of a Peace Prize recipient ??

What are your thoughts of this thought train ?? :confused: Any credence??

Don't Shoot Me-- Just The Messenger,

Have a Great Day -Peace to All- No matter the Color,

Forest Man :)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Schupo

Banned
I have read through this who thread, albiet most of it off-topic, and haven't seen this thought mentioned ...

The follwing idea has been dicsussed on various talk shows, but I haven't seen it mentioned here. I give it some credence, but would like to hear other Audioholic's thoughts on the subject:

Is it possible that Barack Obama was given the NPP to influence the outcome of the Afghanistan war and possible futures world conflicts ?

... after being named NPP recipient ... it would influence that world leader, Obama, would NOT increase the troop count significantly, 40,000 as General McChrystal has requested and basically annihilating Afghanistan ... not the move of a Peace Prize recipient ??

What are your thoughts of this thought train ?? :confused: Any credence??

Don't Shoot Me-- Just The Messenger,

Have a Great Day -Peace to All- No matter the Color,

Forest Man :)
Whether or not that was the intention (it sounds a bit far-fetched to me), we can only hope that some good comes out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

redass

Junior Audioholic
And, you obviously know nothing of the neighborhoods to which I refer. Yes, racisim is still strong and healthy in them, but not from the parties you wouls like to believe. If you doubt me, try it.

Then again, there 's Bed/Sty in Brooklyn if Newark isn't to your liking. Or perhaps East Orange or Camden in NJ.
yeah, I refer to the past when pointing out how things are different from now and the past. it sure seemed reasonable to me when I did it... should I compare and contrast the past with the future next time instead of the past? :confused:

when it comes to my home ghetto, I'll just stick to compton, a place I happen to visit 5 out of 7 days each week. I guess they aren't as racist in CA as in Jersey, because they seem to be willing to rob anyone - I've seen "Friday". :cool:
not sure I understand your comment about not knowing those neighborhoods.... if I knew of these places... a few neighborhoods that I can easily avoid while still bettering my life... would they then be comparable to the racist institutional past of the entire nation? I did say, "I don't think most places are that bad today," when referring to the racially charged history of this nation.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Al Sharpton can kiss my ***.
I'm gonna have to shut this down for that racist remark.
Next time play nice. This is your last warning.

I hope this isn't crossing any lines. Impersonating a somebody. :)

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
I'm gonna have to shut this down for that racist remark.
Next time play nice. This is your last warning.

I hope this isn't crossing any lines. Impersonating a somebody. :)
Al is sharp because he has "sharp" in his last name, at least you don't have Shelia Jackson Lee as your Congress Woman.

Peace to All

Forest Man

P.S. = Just found out I have to buy a "grinder" pump

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
There isn’t a country anywhere, that has done more to lift up blacks than 'Racist' white America.

Trillions have been spent since the 60’s on welfare, food
stamps, rent supplements, Section-8 housing,
Pell grants, student loans, legal
services, Medicaid, Earned Income Tax Credits
and poverty programs designed to bring the
African-American community into the mainstream.

Government, businesses, and colleges have engaged in
discrimination against white folks -- with
Affirmative Action programs, contract set-asides and
quotas -- to advance black applicants over white
applicants.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis