DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hugh-Melody

Audioholic
Hi guys,

Hugh here.

I've been following this thread for the last few days and I only pop in here in case any Onix owner has a question pertaining to our products.

Thanks,

Hugh
Onix North America Distributor

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I have noticed that recently I have not seen many AV123 owner's here. In fact, not for a long time. I do remember there being a lot more of them around here, but I'm sure many of them have left. In fact, I might be the only AV123 owner left around here. Well, anyway, I wear the Rocket logo because they are pretty darn good speakers, but that certainly doesn't mean I endorse what's been going on over there. :(
Nah, we're still here. I have a bunch myself, but removed them from my sig as to not mislead others to believe I endorsed them, especially with all that's gone on.

Hugh
Forgive me Hugh, but what exactly do you distribute? I always thought Onix = AV123 as all their boxes/speakers are labeled that way. Perhaps you can enlighten me...

J

just listening

Audioholic
AFAIK, no manufacturer pays to have their product reviewed at StereoPhile. I don't know what the arrangement is if they choose to include a reprint on their website or a link to the review. After all, when a car manufacturer says something about one of their models and mentions JD Powers, JD gets a cut. And it's a complicated cut. There's a cut for print. A cut for TV. A cut for radio. One for internet. One for sending out stuff to customers. There's plenty of cuts!!
Two years ago at RMAF I asked the question about "cuts" to a number of manufacturers handing out review reprints. Each manufacturers said they are provided for freely by the publications, or are allowed to make copies for free. Some feel it's compensation for paying shipping both ways for the review piece. Others just consider it good business for both sides. It should be noted that reviews are "embargoed" as one manufacturer stated, until published and available for public consumption. Some review publications/websites don't even allow for the reviewer to discuss buying the review gear until publishing occurs.

H

Hugh-Melody

Audioholic
Thanks for your question.

First off, Onix has NEVER been av123.

Onix was originally a brand from England and I believe Mr. Pu of SAC (Sound Art of China) bought it several years ago.
Originally, there's an agreement between SAC and av123 for av123 to distribute SAC's Onix products along with av123's own.

I am distributing all Onix products such as their Reference speaker line, other speakers such as Monitor1, Music1, Concerto1, & Bravo as well as their electronics such as Integrated Amplifiers and CD Players.

I am currently working on my website and hope to go live soon.

Thanks again,

Hugh
Forgive me Hugh, but what exactly do you distribute? I always thought Onix = AV123 as all their boxes/speakers are labeled that way. Perhaps you can enlighten me...

Last edited:
A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief

Onix was originally a brand from England and I believe Mr. Pu of SAC (Sound Art of China) bought it several years ago.
Originally, there's an agreement between SAC and av123 for av123 to distribute SAC's Onix products along with av123's own.

I am distributing all Onix products such as their Reference speaker line, other speakers such as Monitor1, Music1, Concerto1, & Bravo as well as their electronics such as Integrated Amplifiers and CD Players.

Thanks again,

Hugh
Thanks Hugh.

So the Rockets are *not* an Onix product? I ask because my box and the logo on the speakers says Onix Rocket pretty prominently.

H

Hugh-Melody

Audioholic
No, they are not.
They are all av123.

I guess back then it did indeed show the logo as you said.
Thanks Hugh.

So the Rockets are *not* an Onix product? I ask because my box and the logo on the speakers says Onix Rocket pretty prominently.

D

david-me

Audioholic Intern

Thanks again,

Hugh
I really did not want to post in this thread but would you elaborate/link on the following?

"other speakers such as Monitor1, Music1, Concerto1, & Bravo "

S

stevo238

Banned
Posted in the comments section of Hometheaterreview.com, "The 10 Best Audiophile Speaker List-2009." I'm no fan of Del Colliano but ya gotta love his comments. More fuel for the fire. Shifter touches people everywhere he goes I guess.

* By Jerry Del Colliano

AV123.com is run by a man who stiffed me for a $40,000 ad contract when I ran AVRev.com. He knows what he did. He hires his "shils" all over the net and best of luck to him. Most savvy net buyers know this.

But to suggest that those speakers make the TOP TEN speakers of all time list is respectfully a joke.

All the best!!!

Jerry

D

dylancash

Audioholic Intern
I participated enthusiastically in the av123 forum. It was a very fun forum. Some participants over there were, and some still are, fairly rabid Mls nuthuggers. Mls in person seems to exude a great amount of charm and some people seem to develop quite an affection for him and also a fierce loyalty. I think the discussion of a "cult like atmosphere" is overstating it a bit though and takes away from this thread by making it sound like we are haters.
If it quacks like a duck...

There are people who post over there still that are on the same raffle lists he stole from. Come on, who lets somebody steal from them and keeps going back for more, happily. Sounds like a cult. Seriously, if you could erase everything Mark has said and just looked at his last 5 years of actions it would be a serious eye opener to those who just focus on what he says.

I am not a hater and own some of their products and used to frequent over there too. To me, the forum in its new, super censored iteration feels like a cult. Before, it was a healthy mix with a cult like core/leader, now its just the uber fanatics and unknowing customers, but you are entitled to think I am a hater if you like.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Let's not get too wrapped in looking to find the one, single word that describes MLS or AV123. Go into a Mustang forum and you'll find very enthusiastic people that'll bash Corvettes at the drop of a hat. While I think the very strong enthusiasm has had a tendency to forestall critical discussions of the many issues that surround the company and founder, this enthusiasm has been greatly diminished. The relatively freewheeling nature of their forums is now rigorously monitored.

Now I didn't start this thread, but it's important to keep in mind that one of the moderators at its very inception indicated they'd like to keep the thread open. Presumably, for so long as it takes that people with monies due, products due, replacements that have taken an inordinate amount time to be addressed, and I guess issues that speak to the restitution of an unknown amount of monies. Just as chemical enhancement has tarred all sports and even all athletes, the actions here have also thrown tar upon the many companies looking to carve out a niche. IOW, let's not jinx this.

If we can avoid silly squabbling and nit picking, then perhaps our concerted voices can bring about a satisfactory resolution and proper accountability.

woofersus

woofersus

Audioholic
Thanks Hugh.

MLS confused the relationship by using the Onix name on other stuff and generally not clearly branding various product lines. If I recall correctly, the rockets were an AV123 design but were manufactured by SAC, who owned and manufactured the Onix speakers. Because of this the rockets were called Onix Rockets when they weren't really an Onix product. They also used the Onix name on the Strata Minis which were an AV123 design, and I think even briefly on some LS stuff but I can't remember for sure

When the relationship went south with Mr. Pu and MLS about a year ago AV123 stopped carrying the Onix Reference lineup because they couldn't get any more. At whatever point the relationship was comleptely terminated AV123 moved production to a different manufacturer in China and took the Onix name off the Rockets and their boxes. I believe that was 9 months ago or something like that.

Either way, the Rockets and Strata Minis are still AV123 products, but the Reference lineup, as well as other Onix lines are now sold by 7 of us who are dealers through Hugh, the North American distributor.

Tim Evans
Onix Dealer: Ohio, Kentucky, & West Virginia

S

stevo238

Banned
If we can avoid silly squabbling and nit picking, then perhaps our concerted voices can bring about a satisfactory resolution and proper accountability.
Thankfully we've never seen you nitpick in any of your remarks.

D

dylancash

Audioholic Intern
I don't. I said "we". And I was attacked over there in my very first posts by some fanatic supporters. I'm just thinking about brand new would be clients of av123 who come across this thread for the first time. I just think there should be an emphasis on proven un-ethical conduct.
Fair enough. I will remind you that I made one post about it. The rest of my posts on this subject have been strictly about the raffles. Since you have brought this up my last 2 posts have been about the cult atmosphere. After I made my initial comment on the cult thing I had no intention to dwell on it and I won't bring it up again, but I stand by my earlier assessment.

I also agree that Mark is not trying to run a cult, but his "hugs" and stuff really attract the cult type. After all, I can't think of anybody who boasts and talks smack about his products more than Mark, yet his followers always let him end his smack talk with, "humbly". I have yet to meet a less humble person when it comes to talking up their products and talents. It is just one big ball of contradiction over there. If Mark said it was sunny and clear during a torrential rainstorm, well then darn it, it is sunny and clear to his followers.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
As someone who was stupid enough to be sucked into donations for several of his “Raffles”, this thread is like a thorn in my side. It’s not the money but the principle that is so troublesome. Anyone who would steal from a charitable cause, has sunk to the bottom of the bad behavior pool.

Now Mark is at it again airing his personal problems and sharing stories about the grand kids. This guy’s main talent is as pitchman and he is a very good one. The problem is he has lost his ethical compass (assuming he ever had one).

I bought into his stories in part based upon the loyal (from my current perspective I would say rabid) following, his gregariousness and the generosity he seemed to exhibit to others. He may in fact be a very generous person, but he is also a thief. There is no way to rationalize or candy coat what he has done, and buying product from AV123 only supports that type of behavior.

Last edited:
M

mziegler

Audioholic
I also agree that Mark is not trying to run a cult, but his "hugs" and stuff really attract the cult type. After all, I can't think of anybody who boasts and talks smack about his products more than Mark, yet his followers always let him end his smack talk with, "humbly". I have yet to meet a less humble person when it comes to talking up their products and talents. It is just one big ball of contradiction over there. If Mark said it was sunny and clear during a torrential rainstorm, well then darn it, it is sunny and clear to his followers.
You just described a cult, but back off because somehow MLS is not trying to do it.

You forgot to add that he's charismatic.

No, he's not moving his followers to South America (just his manufacturing), and there is no religious component, but do you think he's unaware of his affect on others?

To be fair, there is a great distance between a con man and cult leader, although both share many characteristics.

My bulldar (BS radar) has always been set off my MLS. He makes an announcement, the chorus chimes in with "way to go Mark" and "can I prepay to be first on the list", some smartass chimes in with a reminder of past behavior or missed deadlines, then the chorus attacks. Even before there were any hints of trouble there I had the feeling that I would need to hold on to my wallet if I were to shake the man's hands.

M

mziegler

Audioholic
A student of mine came up with it last year, and I submitted it to urban dictionary.

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
My bulldar (BS radar) has always been set off my MLS. He makes an announcement, the chorus chimes in with "way to go Mark" and "can I prepay to be first on the list", some smartass chimes in with a reminder of past behavior or missed deadlines, then the chorus attacks. Even before there were any hints of trouble there I had the feeling that I would need to hold on to my wallet if I were to shake the man's hands.
The chorus no longer has to attack. The chorus is running the forum, so they just start deleting posts. If I recall correctly, the Mac11700 (or something) that is now a forum administrator is the guy that got asked by MLS to take a break from the forum due to his over the top, rabid fanboy attacks on anyone posting anything with even a hint of criticism in it.

It's not even a forum anymore, as was said before, it's a one way hype machine. Very glad I no longer own any av123 equipment (and the ascend/HSU stuff that I replaced it with sounds better anyway :) ).

M

mziegler

Audioholic
The chorus no longer has to attack. The chorus is running the forum, so they just start deleting posts. If I recall correctly, the Mac11700 (or something) that is now a forum administrator is the guy that got asked by MLS to take a break from the forum due to his over the top, rabid fanboy attacks on anyone posting anything with even a hint of criticism in it.

It's not even a forum anymore, as was said before, it's a one way hype machine. Very glad I no longer own any av123 equipment (and the ascend/HSU stuff that I replaced it with sounds better anyway :) ).
too true. I'm surprised at some of the loyalty. I would understand self-interest--I have no problem with MLS exerting considerable control, since it is his business.

I do not understand the fanaticism at all--I'm not a true believer about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis